Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Aye, that was shocking. Anorexically thin there.
  • Aye, that was shocking. Anorexically thin there.

You didnt have to punch her - just offer her a biscuit to get her running away - she used to be such a pretty lass as well when she was'nt trying to be a stupid size 0
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • google said:

I'm in no way interested in seeing The Avengers but people are saying it's amazing.

Is this just people being dickheads and getting excited about comic books? Or is it genuinely good?

If you didn't like Iron Man etc then you're not going to like the Avengers. Avengers is just a ramped up version of that really.
    I loved it but I like that kind of thing.
  • I loved Iron Man, but the rest of those movies, Hulk. Cap A etc do nothing for me and the thought of even watching the Thor movie makes me do a little bit of sick in my mouth.

As such I imagine I'd spend most of the Avengers movie wishing it was Iron Man 3 or something.

Also, The Devil Inside is gash!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I liked The Devil Inside so screw you hippy.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Haywire was fuckin dreadful! Sure, a leading lady who does her own stunts/fights is a great idea. Except she can't act for shit, so it falls on its face. Plot was by-the-numbers bullshit. Supporting cast looked like they were from a different film. And the David Holmes soundtrack was totally out of place.

If Soderbergh ever had it (which is disputable), he's certainly lost it.
  • All salient points there Curtis. Soderbergh does appear to be shitting the bed. Not least with the fonts he is using in his films, they are fuckawful.

I did like The Informant though.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Happy Star Wars day, nerds.
  • Gotta agree regards Haywire - just never really clicked into a groove for me. Constituent parts tick lots of boxes but they never gelled together. Carano could probably pull off a Statham-like action film, but just doesn't have the acting chops or charisma to carry a film like that. I mean, if Tatum is out-acting the lead in a scene then there's problems. Rest of the cast are fucking great, which makes the difference even more glaring.

Extended take scenes never really got any kind of tension up either, just felt a bit boring and drawn out. 
    Holmes score fits with the more quirky, cool, charisma led stuff like the Ocean's films - didn't fit the Bourne style.

Was wanting to like Haywire, and some bits were good, just never clicked together.
  • djchump said:

if Tatum is out-acting the lead in a scene then there's problems.

Have you seen 21 Jump Street? Guy has hidden his talent well.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message

Tempy said:

Watched that the other day with the missus. I said to her during it that Tatum has shocked me, he's fantastic in it.

Great film, too.
  • When he's high and goes to the music room

"Oh yeah, spike that shit!... Fuck you Miles Davis!"
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    When he meets the black kid had me laughing like a loon.

• Tempy said:

Watched that the other day with the missus. I said to her during it that Tatum has shocked me, he's fantastic in it.

Great film, too.

I'll have to check that out!
    TBH, I do rate Tatum, ever since them dancing films. He's okay as actor's go - same for Brendan Fraser, possibly more so because while I've not seen it, I've heard Fraser's very good in Gods and Monsters. If an actor has good comedy timing it counts highly with me - which is why I love whoever it is plays Jet Li's mum in the Once Upon a Time in China films and the woman who plays the landlady in Shaolin Soccer.
  • Gods and Monsters is indeed very good.
  • Curtis said:

If Soderbergh ever had it (which is disputable), he's certainly lost it.

Never had it.
    Contagion was the first of his I found moderately enjoyable after all this time and that's just because I love a virus movie. He just can't tell a story without filling it with pointless red herrings and his attempts at believable characters are seriously mixed, for every decent Damon performance in one of his movies, there's usually a bunch of shitty ones. Also the Ocean's series is the shuffling corpse of Scrooge McDuck.
    XBL: DJ Rick Joyce
    PSN: P-BAP
  • rickjoyce said:

He just can't tell a story without filling it with pointless red herrings

That is exactly why The Informant works, IMO.
  • Also, saw the avengers last night. Decent amount of fun, even though still plenty of super questionable NeoCon politics to go around, way less off putting than the other Marvel joints, especially the Iron Man solo efforts. The hulk is used excellently as comic relief and I enjoyed the various rivalries between the superheroes. The most fun marvel movie IMO but not gonna change your mind on them if you don't have any fondness for the characters already.
  • I haven't seen it in a while, but I just couldn't engage with that film at all. I usually love anything with a sociopathic or compulsive liar as well, and I was interested in the true story, just the way Soderbergh puts it together doesn't grab me at all. It's also a comedy that is only barely amusing.
    Tempy said:

rickjoyce said:

He just can't tell a story without filling it with pointless red herrings

That is exactly why The Informant works, IMO.

• Oh and I forgot, the legend Harry Dean Stanton turns up in the Avengers and last night I found this.

• rickjoyce said:

I haven't seen it in a while, but I just couldn't engage with that film at all. I usually love anything with a sociopathic or compulsive liar as well, and I was interested in the true story, just the way Soderbergh puts it together doesn't grab me at all. It's also a comedy that is only barely amusing.

It is barely amusing, yeah. I just like his escalating lies. I dunno, I like it a lot but i'm never sure why. Curious.

• Oh and I forgot, the legend Harry Dean Stanton turns up in the Avengers and last night I found this. 

Gosh, what superhero/villain does he play, Cancer man?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I don't like Michael Fassbender.

His cock is too big.
    His acting talent too massive.
    His good looks too impressive.
    His voice too overpowering.
    His rise to fame too blessed.

Fuck him.
  • Blocks100 said:

Oh and I forgot, the legend Harry Dean Stanton turns up in the Avengers and last night I found this. 

Gosh, what superhero/villain does he play, Cancer man?

He has the super ability to make the Hulk take orders.

Avengers was very enjoyable, so long as you like Whedon. I'm always a bit meh for Joss, but I really enjoyed Avengers. Might just be my Jack & Stan bias, though.

Are many people getting the final-final end credits sequence? Not the one one in the credits, the one after the credits?
    This must be a Thursday. I could never get the hang of Thursdays.
  • Had to run out directly as the director's name popped up . Something interesting?
  • SHIT. I thought I'd seen the crucial one. There's another one after the one that ends in a smile? (That's not spoilery...)

But the end titles in 3D...Oh my word. Brilliant.
  • Fell asleep during Vanishing on 7th Street last night.

Enjoyed what I saw though, a bit like Phantoms without Ben Affleck and directed by Brad Anderson who did Session 9. Will get back to it tonight
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It's wank, mate.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm a vehement hater of 3D but a mate of mine who's the same tells me Avengers is superb with the glasses. Anyone have their own experience to tell?

I'm seeing it sunday with a lady friend and was set on the 2D showing.
  • The ending action was pretty nifty with all the enemies zipping around.  Otherwise, not really.  Your usual not brilliant 3D that is ok at points, crap at others.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!