theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Conservatives taken quite the punch in the fuck, huh.
  • Am kinda mistified as to what Labour are supposed to be fronting that's less of a fudge than the Torydems.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Went with my father to vote today and who should greet us in the lobby but a mild-mannered blue flower ribbon wearing madam.

She didn't start soliciting us so she didn't get a punch in the gob.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    So Newcastle say nee way man haway an shite to an elected mayor. Shame, quite fancied having a crack.
  • Was Liverpool the only city (outside of London) to go down the mayoral route then?  Not really impressed with Joe Anderson anyway.  His administration has presided over all the funding cuts to the third-sector.  Can't see the fat git re-prioritising as mayor.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Less than a third of voters turned up. Fuck it, let's just go back to an absolute monarchy. Harry looks like he'd enjoy invading Argentina.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Brooks said:

Am kinda mistified as to what Labour are supposed to be fronting that's less of a fudge than the Torydems.

I think it's more what they don't have ie pasty tax, granny tax, Ruperty Rupes Murdoch.
  • That's retarded.
  • Or maybe it isn't any more. I don't know. A fuck on politics.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message

A fuck
    Politics

DINGBATS
  • Brooks said:

Am kinda mistified as to what Labour are supposed to be fronting that's less of a fudge than the Torydems.

Exactly, the tories are making a hash of things but labour helped get us into the shit the country is in right now.
    People have some short fucking memories.

Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Not the Tories. I don't think I've heard a single MP not refer to the previous government when asked why they haven't sorted things out yet.

I can let that slide for 6-12 months but eventually you need to stop blaming someone else for all your problems.
  • They've got no policy for growth.  It's slash 'n' burn the public sector and wait for the green shoots of recovery to miraculously spring up from the scorched earth.  Oh, and in the interim re-introduce Thatcherite policies like 'enterprise zones' to stimulate the private sector to, using their tired rhetoric, 're-balance the economy'.  It's fucking woeful.   This 'age of austerity' bollocks is getting old. Even the French realise it's time to change tact and start spending to get people back into jobs to ignite a domestic demand-led recovery.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Trouble being that no-one's keen to treat themselves while the discourse is still set to Imminent Economic Ragnarok.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Was Liverpool the only city (outside of London) to go down the mayoral route then?  Not really impressed with Joe Anderson anyway.  His administration has presided over all the funding cuts to the third-sector.  Can't see the fat git re-prioritising as mayor.

Salford went for it too.

In Liverpool a man dressed as a polar bear beat the conservative candidate for mayor who came seventh.

None of the far right parties (English Democrats, BNP, NF) got enough votes to get their deposit back. Still quite shocked that the NF mustered 566 votes.

Is Glasgow going Labour a sign that the Independence vote is most likely to be a majority "No thanks Alex." result?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano said:

Is Glasgow going Labour a sign that the Independence vote is most likely to be a majority "No thanks Alex." result?

Independence doesn't look like a priority for people, it definitely isn't why everyone votes SNP. They're a left wing party in a left wing country where a lot of people have doubts about old Labour for not doing a good job of running things and Nu Labour are hopelessly tainted by Blair and Iraq.

• Johnson really is a fucking clown.
  • Bristol voted for a mayor. Idiots.

We don't want the sort of shit that went on in London. Disgraceful campaigning from both the big hitters, a platform for the loonies*, and of course some pretty wet stuff from the Lib Dem candidate.

Still, with a dictator running the show in Bristol, shit might get done y'all.

*and I do include the Greens here.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Despite the disgraceful campaigning. Is an elected mayor not a better system? It's the electorate delegating through vote a council leader rather than 20 - 40 elected councillors picking their fave one. The latter system is system that's used nationally, where there isn't a mayor. Surely elected mayors are a better system.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    pantyfire said:

Brooks said:

Exactly, the tories are making a hash of things but labour helped get us into the shit the country is in right now.
    People have some short fucking memories.

Really, the banks got us into the situation we're in now. Despite the Tory rhetoric, before the financial crisis, the deficit under Labour was lower than it was at the end of the previous Conservative government. It wasn't profligacy that got us into this mess, it was bailing out the banking sector. 

It can be argued that Labour shouldn't have bailed out the banks at all, but I very much doubt that the Tories would have just let them go bust.
  • @Beano
    No, as it literally concentrates the power in one man (let's face it, it will be a man), with a 4-year term and virtually no way of removing them.

And also, the public are fucking stupid and will elect - for example - a man in a monkey suit who promises free bananas for the kids, and that bloke off've Have I Got News For You.
  • Anyone who thinks mayors are a good idea should take a look at Doncaster's mess.
  • regmcfly said:

A fuck
    Politics

DINGBATS

Hahaha.
  • WorKid said:

Johnson really is a fucking clown.

How can anyone vote for a man who looks like he cuts his own hair with nail clippers.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    That's my career in politics over before it starts.
  • I watched his election victory speech live last night (god knows why) "I've increased the speed of the trains on the Jubilee line by over three mph!"  This is the man they're touting to take-over from Cameron when the coalition collapses?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Today I feel ashamed to hail from London.
  • I'm glad I'm not in the UK right now.  They're doing council elections here; went to the DMV to do my driving theory test, and a chap says "hey, are you registered to vote?" with a clipboard etc.  It was nice to be able to say "no, BUT I'M NOT A CITIZEN!" and watch him scurry off.

Works with the telemarketers too.  "Don't you care about our children's education?"  "No, not really."
  • Blocks100 said:

I watched his election victory speech live last night (god knows why) "I've increased the speed of the trains on the Jubilee line by over three mph!"  This is the man they're touting to take-over from Cameron when the coalition collapses?

I know - amazing progress.
    Also, less people are being murdered.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    People is indeed a countable noun (over 100,000 people descended on London for a protest), so it should be fewer. Less should be used for uncountable nouns (there's less water on Mars than on Earth).
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    'Peoples' is also fine when talking about communities, as is 'persons' when formally counting individuals.
‹ Previous12345671415

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!