Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    GET THAT ON A T SHIRT

(kerb stomp)
  • I went to Athens.  I liked it.
    I'm going to Finland.  I may like it.  Not a holiday though.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I was in Finland last year - it really is as expensive as you hear it is. But it's also beautiful.

So- things to do in Athens? Hit me with some suggestions, please.
  • Re Finland: No worries - all expenses paid.

Re Athens:
    Don't point and laugh at the pom-pom shoes.
    Don't touch the stray dogs.
    Don't slip and fall backwards out of a shower cubicle.

Do visit the Acropolis/Parthenon and gaze in bemusement at the rather strange reconstruction efforts.
    Do check out the Temple of Olympian Zeus.
    Do head out into the city after dark to eat, drink and be merry.
    Do go up Lykavittos Hill - the view is spectacular.
  • Am spending next Fri-Sun in Manchester. To make it more interesting have decide to travel there via Bruges for a pub crawl.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    In Athens, go to the acropolis. 

That's it.
  • Hove/Brighton's nice.  I had steak.
  • I missed this, I'd have chucked in a couple of recommendations - assuming you didn't already have plenty.
  • I didn't get to set the agenda, but thanks anyway.
  • Just got back from a week in Tuscany, it was rather spiffing. Florence was totally OMG I'M IN ASSASSINS CREED and the leaning tower of Pisa is actually incredibly beautiful and amazing. 32-34 degrees every day, mountainside villa, swimming pool, hire car, pizza, beer, sunsets, hornets, scorpions, eagles, beetles and very, very bad drivers.
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Got back from Barcelona this afternoon and I bloody loved it. Can't say i've been to a city that has me longing to go back this strongly before. Climate took a day to get used to but luckily we had fairly strong breezes to alleviate some of the heat and I like a bit of burn to speed along the tanning process anyway. Highlights were La Sagrada Familia (which is one of the most impressive structures and artistic works of art i've ever seen/been inside of) and having a soberingly down to earth chat with a topless female French student on the beach about jobs and travelling.

Local architecture was great to look at, especially the gothic quarter. Took a fair few shots of those and some of which i'll post below. The food was a bit sub-par, especially on the first night when we went to one of the fancy restaurants right where the harbour is and got shite food and shite service. One of the clubs even neglected to collect the 60 eyro payment customers before us had left on a table up until we left in disgust after 20 minutes. We found a good shisha place afterwards though, the apple smoke was good and the girls roped me into devouring Mojitos till about 3.

Dinner the nights afterwards were much better with us going to a place on Las Rambla for some tapas including a fucking fantastic dish involving green peppers covered in salt crytals and some kind of sauce that was bliss to eat.

Visited the Museu d'Historia de Catalunya on the last day though due to time constraints we had to rush the last few sections to my chagrin. I was left with a little understanding of how much pride the locals seem to take in the history of Catalonia and the how the language apparently is increasing in its amount of speakers as well.

Architecture and The City
    Where the bus dropped us off
    Twins
    Starting down Las Rambla
    Gothicness
    Impressive government thing
    Apparently Colombus Column (Wasen't he Italian?)
    Close-up
    Gherkinesque
    Old 'n' New
    Awesome church rims
    Get a load of that frontage

Grub
    Grub 1st night
    Grub 2nd night
    Grub 2nd night (2)
    Grub 3rd night
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Park Guell
    On entering
    Side passages There was a Spaniard here dressed up as a stereotypical chinaman selling chinese fans for some reason.
    Everyone else was doing it
    Surprisingly easy to miss
    Ditto
    http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj503/Morrisbloke/IMAG0215.jpg
    There was a school right next to the park that I think set well with this shot. At the time, they were trying to make different shapes and the students had to guess what it was. They were building up to a crocodile.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The green peppers are pimientos de Padrón, a Gallician speciality. They're the roulette peppers I spoke about yonks ago if anybody remembers. Usually 1 in about 20 is flaming hot, as good as a habanero. Although I'm told they show up far less often these days, for whatever reason. Probably because the Spanish are faggots when it comes to spicy food.

Also Columbus was Italian (although it's debated) but the expedition was entirely Spanish.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Awesome summary, Bollockoff. Mrs Reg and I went there in 2010, and although I'm not really precious about places when there are so many new ones, I have always wanted to go back, and your pics got me wanting moreso
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Cheers Kow. That's a dish i'll remember the name of. One of my grub pics shows one of the peppers being a strong orange colour that I was afraid was a mouth blistering one but it was just another stage of ripeness. Most disappointing.

regmcfly wrote:
    I have always wanted to go back, and your pics got me wanting mores

Not sure how it was in 2010, but it's quite expensive spending money there now. Still, highly worth it.

About to post some images I took of Sagrada Familia. Tried to keep them original resolution so the sense of grandeur isn't lost too much. I'm sure the forum resizing might do a number on them.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    A couple of tower shots to boot. As you can see, construction is still on-going. Sadly the we got there too late in the day to go inside the towers.

IMAG0138.jpg
    IMAG0134.jpg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Cheers Kow. That's a dish i'll remember the name of. One of my grub pics shows one of the peppers being a strong orange colour that I was afraid was a mouth blistering one but it was just another stage of ripeness. Most disappointing.
    regmcfly wrote:
    I have always wanted to go back, and your pics got me wanting mores
    Not sure how it was in 2010, but it's quite expensive spending money there now. Still, highly worth it. About to post some images I took of Sagrada Familia. Tried to keep them original resolution so the sense of grandeur isn't lost too much. I'm sure the forum resizing might do a number on them.

I mean, yeah, it's expensive, but we're sizing up trips to Tokyo and NYC so it's quite comparative for us. But fuck yeah, it looks amaze.
  • Sagrafa Familia looks like a real life Vigrid from Bayonetta. I've wanted to go there since I was 14. Maybe in another seven years or so.

Lovely summary 'kof
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Sagrada Familia is mind-blowing. This is what the finished thing will look like in another 30 or so years. Check the size of those central towers.
    16.jpg
  • Going to Zdiar in Slovakia at Christmas. 1 week in Poland then a week there, skiing. Looks like this except with more snow.Slovakia_Zdiar_34.JPG
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Yeah, i've made a promise to go back and visit Sagrada once it's completed if i'm still around.

@Euan have you been Slovakia before? I might be going in September and i'm wondering just how cold it can get.

Also i'm off to Munich on friday for a three day stag do. I'll probably have alot less photos suitable to post here and more relevant ones for the weird stuff thread.
  • Nope, I'll ask the burd tomorrow though she used to go every year. Been to southern poland at Christmas and it was down to about -20. Suppose it depends on altitude but, short, yeah it will be fucking freezing.

Barcelona is a great city, went on a trip with my course (Architecture) earlier this year. Highlights for me were wandering about the non touristy squares and in a wee tour of the libraries which are all modern and pretty cool. Also the old sailor's quarter next to the beach is probably the best place ever to spend an afternoon. There was 30 of us and it was fucking amazing. Went to see the offices of the guy who designed the Scottish Parliament as well, Miralles.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Right well I'm off to Athens! See you all in a bit.
  • Later on Reg.

Nice stuff Boff, this one is like Sen's Fortress during construction

IMAG0134.jpg

I'm going to France tomorrow, a place called Loches near Tours. It will be Bastille day, I hope I have fun.
  • Cheerio Reg. Bon voyage Nick. 

I'm taking an extra long weekend after today, not back to work until Wednesday. Off to Wicklow on Saturday night (abandoning our child with friends) to stay in a real foodie-type hotel. Nice to get a break now and then.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Anyone been to Sorrento / Naples bay area?

Fancy Italy for holiday but fuck me, you look at a map and want to go everywhere, could spend 8 weeks doing it.
  • The lady and myself are going on our first holiday just together in the entirety of our relationship in st austel down on the southern coast in a couple of weeks, exciting! Pity the weather's probably to be dreadful
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Nick wrote:
    this one is like Sen's Fortress during construction

Well that's never going to get out of my head now. Swinging blades by Gaudi please.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!