Treasure
‹ Previous123456
  • I've been playing a few Treasure games recently (Sin & Punishment 1&2, Astro Boy) and remembering how great they often are. Just checking the wiki entry and it turns out the company's 20 years old, almost to the day, so what better time to discuss their stuff?

I've always found their games to be fresh and imaginative, not to mention brilliant at getting the most out of simple gameplay ideas and continually turning them on their heads.

However, I'm surprised to see actually that they've not worked on a new IP for a few years now, and it's mostly rereleases and new versions of old games, when at one time they were always known for never doing sequels. Not sure what's in development now either.

Still, any of you lot fans? Any particular favourites? Are they a bit past it now? etc.
  • I've just looked through their games and Gunstar Heroes is the only one I've ever played. It's probably in my top 5 games of all time though. How are you playing these others? Virtual console?
  • @monkey

Get on Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun on XBLA. Both are stupidly amazing.

I think the only Treasure game I've played that I wasn't massively hot for was the thing with the big tweaky hand on the PS1.

edit: 'Freak Out' over here I think.

Would love to see Gradius V released on XBLA, but there's probably some sort of wrangling with Konami who seem determined to turn the franchise into an anime school-girl peepshow.
  • Those I mentioned were VC, Wii and GBA. There's quite a lot of their stuff on VC/XBLA nowadays.
  • I'd love a new Treasure game in the vein of Gunstar Heroes. Something with a really kinetic, tactile feel, which is something I always feel they manage to get into their games.

Didn't they do Mischief Makers? I never got around to playing it, but it sounded brilliant, I loved the jumping grab mechanic in Gunstar Heroes so I basically want that built as a central mechanic into it, being able to navigate levels by latching onto and hurling yourself off stuff.

Hnnng, more Treasure soon plz world.
  • @Jon/Monkey 
    yep, Guardian Heroes, Bangai-O, Gunstar all on there.
  • Mischief Makers was indeed based around grabbing, shaking and throwing stuff. With that main idea taken about as far as it could be. I had it on the N64 but haven't played it in years. I don't think it's on VC, is it? I'd certainly be up for playing it again.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Gunstar Heroes is a fantastic game. As is Rocket Knight (was that treasure?)
  • don't think so reg
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Gradius V, coming soon to Vita.

I just made that up.
  • pabloamigo wrote:
    @monkey Get on Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun on XBLA.
    They look good.

It shall be done.
  • That's the problem with these games involving multiple partners/distributors. :(

It's not Treasure, but I'd kill for a port of Progear (Cave & Capcom) too.

@Monkey
    Sterling work sir. ENERGY MAX!
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Gunstar Heroes is a fantastic game. As is Rocket Knight (was that treasure?)
    This page lists RKA under the category 'Treasure staff members that would join at later dates had previously worked on these titles.'
  • ohh, they had a hand in Axelay and Cybernator. 

Two of my fav SNES games.
  • Gunstar and Dynamite Headdy are both high tier, though I've never conquered the latter because it's well hard.

Alien Soldier's among the classic IPs I'd like to see rebooted. Sin & Pun 2 was a little too noisy of HUD and weightless of control to be perfect, but spanks most other current action titles, like stampeding cattle, into a fiery pit. Lots of strong boss design notions, as ever.

They're probably all homeless now, dwindling away on cup ramen and lighter fuel.
  • Alien Soldier, christ, that was a game.
  • Only played Alien Soldier briefly - was basically just bosses wasn't it?

I always thought Dynamite Headdy was the best platform game on the MD, but I could never finish it. Would only replay it today with save states, frequent checkpoints, or infinite continues.
  • I love Treasure. In the early half of last decade (the noughties? I hate that word) I would have listed them as one of my favourite developers but due to lack of new IP in recent times I guess I sort of forgot about them. Just bought an XBox and downloaded Guardian Heroes and Radiant Silvergun and it's totally revitalised my love of them.

I've got hard copies of Ikaruga, Gunstar Heroes and Mischief Makers and I used to have Bangai-O but sadly it's gone missing. Only game of their's I haven't played now that I'd really want to is Silhouette Mirage, unless I'm forgetting something. Would like to get my hands on Astro Boy and Gradius V as I've only played them briefly.

So yeah, big Treasure love here. Ikaruga is one of my all time favourite games. I love it's purity, it's singular focus and the fact that it managed so much innovation within a genre that's practically as old as video games themselves. Perfect game, I literally don't think they could have done anything more with the idea.

EDIT: Got Dynamite Headdy as well on Megadrive, forgot about it, my bad!
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Dynamite Headdy was one of the most imaginative and quirky (not to mention best) platformers on the Megadrive. They also did a four player Beat 'em up on the Magadrive called Yu Yu Hakusho that I've only played in one player, but seemed pretty good. I bought Hajime no Ippo (Edge 8) and Tiny Toons: Buster's Bad Dream when I was in my GBA collecting phase. The former was good, but as I'm not used to playing Japanese games I struggled with the menus etc (game faqs could probably help), and unfortunately the latter was uncharacteristically toilet. I haven't got around to playing it yet, but Bob was kind enough to send me a copy of Wario World (GC) on the old old forum, and I'm looking forward to playing through that with a mate when we finish Trine 2 and Renegade Ops.

A list of my all time top 20 games would definitely include Dynamite Headdy, Bangai-O, Guardian Heroes, Astro Boy and Sin & Punishment 2. A very special developer.
  • Mouldywarp wrote:
    Ikaruga is one of my all time favourite games. I love it's purity, it's singular focus and the fact that it managed so much innovation within a genre that's practically as old as video games themselves. Perfect game, I literally don't think they could have done anything more with the idea.
    It was a fantastic game, but too hard for the likes of me. I was alright up to about the end of level 3 and then my brain couldn't cope. I've never played a game that works at such a subconscious or instinctive level though. When you're 'in the zone' it's almost like a trance, and trying to actually think about what you're doing is the surest way to break concentration and mess up.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I remember playing Dynamite Headdy as a lad and thinking it was shite because I was young and stupid. Would be interested in giving it another go as a GROWN MAN.
  • Massive soft spot for them. Both the S&P's are in my top 10 fo sho. Played all their other "hits" too.

If anyone is looking for some modern-day Treasure goodness, I recommend Project 83113 on iOS. It's fucking fantastic. It's not by them, but it feels like it is.
  • ohh, looks interesting. Cheers gav.
  • I love a bit of Ikaruga.  Been playing some S&P2 in co-op recently aswell.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • I just bought Ronald McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure, despite hating the character, purely because it was by Treasure.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I never actually got why Treasure games have been so well-received over the years. Granted, I've only ever played Ikaruga and Gunstar Heroes, but I've always felt there's something lacking in their games. Then again, Super Mario Sunshine is my favourite Mario title, so it might all be down to having bad taste.
    3DS friend code: 2809-8024-1882
    AC: New Leaf: James (Ardis) 
    Wii U: BennyProfane
    Switch: SW-4893-5168-5693
  • I remember buying Gunstar Heroes on release day, it's still one of my favourite games. Treasure are probably my favourite developer (behind Sega and Nintendo), and I've accumulated a fair few of their games.

They're always too difficult for me though.

Gunstar Heroes (MD, XBLA)
    Dynamite Headdy (MD)
    Alien Soldier 
    Light Crusader
    Ronald McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure
    Guardian Heroes (Sat, XBLA)
    Radiant Silvergun (Sat, XBLA)
    Bangai-o (DC)
    Mischief Makers (N64)
    Sin and Punishment (VC)
    Gradius V (PS2)
    Freak Out
    Astroboy: Omega Factor (GBA)
    Gunstar Future Heroes
    Bleach: Blades of Fate (DS)
    Bangai-o Spirits
    Ikaruga (GC, XBLA)
    Sin and Punishment 2 (Wii)
    Bangai-o Missile Fury (XBLA)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oh Mischief Makers - I love you so. One of the first N64 games I got when I started my collection, and the first one I finished.
  • I like Ikaruga, but I think it's the hardest game I've ever played.

I think this chap may disagree...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ToBdzV7w5Pc
  • Light Crusader is a game I've always assumed (based on non-stellar reviews at the time) to be a poor man's Landstalker, but never actually played.
  • Pretty much, yes.
‹ Previous123456

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!