Show networks
    Twitter
    peterhughesdev
    PSN
    windupharlequin
    Steam
    windupharlequin

Send message
    So. Summer looms. Been wondering what to do for holiday for a little while now - trying to find that perfect place that's not too expensive, not too popular, not too remote, not too near.

Where are you lot planning on going, or where have you been that was awesome?
    The janitor.
  • I really want to go away this summer, but with baby on the way I don't really like the idea of travelling with a big, 8-9 month pregnant lady.

I may take a weekend away for myself to go surfing or something down on the Oregon coast.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I have a close friend's wedding in early August and the stag/hen do's are all planned for July. And I find myself invited to both of them since my mate is the bride and she only has two other girls going to Barcelona for a few days.

After that the stag do is planned for around the 20th which will be in Munich. Never been to either Spain or Germany so i'm quite excited. Beer.

And on top of all this I have a work colleague who's going to a Call of Duty tournament in Stockholm right at the start of July which i'm invited along for as part of the entourage. So I could be visiting three different countries in a month. Loving the prospect.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Algarve in three weeks, then Bowness on Windemere in July. A week each will be just the ticket.
  • I should probably have a holiday.

yes

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • What is this 'holiday' of which you speak?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    We went to St Ives a few weeks ago for a week, was great. I love Cornwall, we go quite often.

I think that'll be it for the year though, the Missus is still on maternity leave for nearly 8 months so our belts are getting tighter by the day....
  • What is this 'holiday' of which you speak?
    I'm not sure tbh. I'll look it up on Wikipedia

regards

g.man
  • Apart from a couple of days is Barcelona next month (hence the avatar) got nothing booked/planned this year.

Went away 4 times last year, but with moving in with the gf this year, most of my spare cash/time is consumed by decorating / home furnishings.
  • Went to Scarborough in march on honeymoon. Ee, it were class. No I did not go to any bloody fair. Probably nip to Belfast at some point to see the folks soon. Will have to be by ferry coz the missus is with child.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I'm going to Leeds again this weekend.  Leeds really is a shithole.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Hell is driving around Leeds looking for a customers premises, with no sat nav. I hate the place.
  • I've not had a proper holiday in 5 years and with Uni looming that makes another 5. Ah well.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    I'm going to Leeds again this weekend.  Leeds really is a shithole.

you going t' white rose centre?
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Dunno, what is it?
  • Tempy wrote:
    I've not had a proper holiday in 5 years and with Uni looming that makes another 5. Ah well.
    every day at uni is a holiday. education is bliss itself.
  • big shopping centre. just along the road from the HSBC Call centre - used to go their when i was down in Leeds training fowk. 

Its still not great but these might be a game in there.
  • Not if I can avoid it, no. 

Might be going to the Armoury Museum Mod mentioned though.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I've not had a proper holiday in 5 years and with Uni looming that makes another 5. Ah well.

Sounds like a sham.

• Tempy wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Sounds like a sham.

Its the most expensive holiday you will go on and you will be paying it off for years.. sham sham sham.
  • I have 50 days of leave saved up because I never get time off.

This summer, we're going to Scotland.
  • Its the most expensive holiday you will go on and you will be paying it off for years.. sham sham sham.

I'm still not sure I'm right in the head doing this at 25/6 but we can only see what happens I guess.
  • I wouldn't worry Tempy, I was 25 before I packed in working in the shipyards and went back to further education.

worked for me

g.man
  • Cheers G.

I am looking forward to it, I got my application to the course I need to do to actually get into Uni confirmed a week or two a go so I actually have a purpose now. The Debt will be immense though, I'm just hoping the world is in a slightly better state in 5 years time else I'll just use my degree to abscond to Eurasia or NuKorea or UltraChina or whatever (hopefully).
  • I was fortunate. My place at Uni was sponsored, so I left with no debt.

win

g.man
  • Don't worry about age, Tempy. It's not important as long as you have a plan. 

G, you mentioned Wales. You might like West Cork. Actually, you will like West Cork... 'tis lovely. Just a suggestion!
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Stockholm clashes with everything else so no Sweden for me. I'll have to make do with Barcelona and Munich.
  • Don't worry about age, Tempy. It's not important as long as you have a plan.  G, you mentioned Wales. You might like West Cork. Actually, you will like West Cork... 'tis lovely. Just a suggestion!
    I've actually been meaning to go back to Ireland, so I might just look into that.

cheers

g.man
  • Tempy, you're probably more likely to be successful at this age to be honest.  I watched a lot of 18/19 year olds piss away a year or 3 because they were wrong about what they wanted, changed their mind, or just weren't suited to university at all at that age.  You're going because you want to and have an idea of what you want to do, not just because you got X results at school and society expects you to go.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Tempy, you're probably more likely to be successful at this age to be honest.  I watched a lot of 18/19 year olds piss away a year or 3 because they were wrong about what they wanted, changed their mind, or just weren't suited to university at all at that age.  You're going because you want to and have an idea of what you want to do, not just because you got X results at school and society expects you to go.

This, a thousand times. My time at university was almost a complete waste of time and taxpayer's money (I was the last year to get a full maintenance grant). Almost, because I did come out with an honours degree (just) which opened the doors I needed it to. I wish I'd had the experience / wisdom / time-travelling capabilities to bugger off to the army / a factory / a kibbutz to learn some discipline and understand what a privilege it is to receive higher education.

Anyway, holidays. My wedding is right in the middle of summer. I haven't been on a summer holiday in years for obvious reasons (too hot, too expensive, too many people) so we'll probably postpone the honeymoon a bit. When are you planning on going Peter, and what are you looking for (city, mountain, countryside, beach, combo)?
  • It's tempting not to go on holiday as long as I live here.  My mother in law's coming to visit next month, and suggested she look after Nim while my darling wife and I go away for a weekend.

But on the other hand, we live in the city that attracts more weekend visitors than any other in the world, so I might just suggest we go and live in a hotel for a couple of days and do stuff here.
‹ Previous1234567153

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!