Holidays
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Tempy, you're probably more likely to be successful at this age to be honest.  I watched a lot of 18/19 year olds piss away a year or 3 because they were wrong about what they wanted, changed their mind, or just weren't suited to university at all at that age.  You're going because you want to and have an idea of what you want to do, not just because you got X results at school and society expects you to go.
    +1
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • g.man wrote:
    I wouldn't worry Tempy, I was 25 before I packed in working in the shipyards and went back to further education. worked for me g.man

Glasgow or Rosyth?
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Because I love myself and I know all of you love me I will probably set up some kind of ego filtering/boosting thread when I'm at home so you can all reassure me into a deep luxorious stupor.
  • Study medicine, I wish I had.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    It's tempting not to go on holiday as long as I live here.  My mother in law's coming to visit next month, and suggested she look after Nim while my darling wife and I go away for a weekend. But on the other hand, we live in the city that attracts more weekend visitors than any other in the world, so I might just suggest we go and live in a hotel for a couple of days and do stuff here.

Have you visited the national parks around your area (by around I guess I mean within 6+ hours' driving...)? I've always wanted to see Yosemite, Zion, Petrified Forest etc...
  • Not yet, I've had no proper time off since we got here.  It's too hot to do anything in the summer, so once we're back from our return visit to the UK, we'll start checking those off on all the 3-day weekends.  I want to spend a few days at Yosemite and see the Petrified Forest, and apparently there's somewhere where the stones move.  What's Zion?
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Study medicine, I wish I had.

English Lit yo, I am going to be Reg.
  • Come to Korea and live like a king, Temps. Also, what the others said. You'll get a fuckton more out of uni than most. I completely wasted the opportunity due to being young, stupid, stoned and emotionally incompetent. Still, it opened doors.

I should be going on holiday to Vietnam, Japan or China this Summer. Or maybe Guam. Or Thailand.
  • Come to Korea and live like a king, Temps.

White devils amongst men.

• I think that you should go to uni until you are 20 at least. Give you a chance to experience life a little. 
    I've had flatmates that were geniuses on paper but didn't know how to set up a standing order on their bank account. Or manage the utility bills. Or buy food and cook for themselves. 

I think its crazy to expect a 13 year old kid to know what they want to do. We nuture the best out of our kids - we try and decompartmentalise them as early as possible.
  • I think that you should go to uni until you are 20 at least. Give you a chance to experience life a little.  I've had flatmates that were geniuses on paper but didn't know how to set up a standing order on their bank account. Or manage the utility bills. Or buy food and cook for themselves.

.... and yet they survived!  I think if you delayed an 18 year old going to uni by 2 years they'll just sit around and waste for 2 years.  I was perfectly suited to uni at 18 and did fine, so some sort of blanket rule like that'd be a bit daft.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Tempy, you're probably more likely to be successful at this age to be honest.  I watched a lot of 18/19 year olds piss away a year or 3 because they were wrong about what they wanted, changed their mind, or just weren't suited to university at all at that age.  You're going because you want to and have an idea of what you want to do, not just because you got X results at school and society expects you to go.

+1

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • NATIONAL SERVICE!
  • I have exercised my displeasure at a lack of holidays and subsequently turned this whole thread into a subject I can talk about.

Surely the best man of the people?

Vote Tempy.
  • Yeah, vote for the guy whose avatar nearly killed humanity a couple of times.
  • I am experienced, yes.
  • The fuck are we voting for anyway?

confused

g.man
  • Elmlea wrote:
    What's Zion?

Amazing-looking national park in Utah
    Zion_angels_landing_view.jpg

You live in a beautiful part of the world, you're right to consider a stay-cation!
  • Yup, I think we'll go there too.  The Grand Canyon's first on the list, although we'll be avoiding the dodgy touristy bit.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Yup, I think we'll go there too.  The Grand Canyon's first on the list, although we'll be avoiding the dodgy touristy bit.

We did this cool thing that probably everyone who goes there has done but it was still cool.

You hike all the way down to the bottom and stay the night in a shed. Then you wake up at 5am and hike all the way back out again. On the way up it started raining, which turned into snow as we climbed higher, which turned into a blizzard near the top. Was very exciting. We barely met anyone either on the way down or up (but it was January 3rd).
  • Petey
    Show networks
    Twitter
    peterhughesdev
    PSN
    windupharlequin
    Steam
    windupharlequin

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    When are you planning on going Peter, and what are you looking for (city, mountain, countryside, beach, combo)?

Looking at September now, possibly Turkey. Somewhere warm, probably a villa or apartment near a coastal town. Why are holidays expensive?
    The janitor.
  • Petey wrote:
    Funkstain wrote:
    When are you planning on going Peter, and what are you looking for (city, mountain, countryside, beach, combo)?
    Looking at September now, possibly Turkey. Somewhere warm, probably a villa or apartment near a coastal town. Why are holidays expensive?

If you don't mind the risk, you could consider Greece. Already a lot cheaper than usual as holiday-makers avoid the fall-out, but I reckon that foreign-owned villas / hotels will survive alright. Of course that won't do you much good if the airports are shut down.

Montenegro was cheap when we went a few years ago, and lovely in summer; empty and warm. Plus you can pop up to Dubrovnik on a (long) day trip. We rented a small apartment in Budva. Convenient nearby international airport at Tivat. Kotor was nice too.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Come to Spain and spend all your money. We need it.
  • I'm thinking of doing America for 3 weeks in September, week in Texas as my mate moved over there, week in Vegas and a week in NY to keep the chick happy. Boom!
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Yup, I think we'll go there too.  The Grand Canyon's first on the list, although we'll be avoiding the dodgy touristy bit.
    We did this cool thing that probably everyone who goes there has done but it was still cool. You hike all the way down to the bottom and stay the night in a shed. Then you wake up at 5am and hike all the way back out again. On the way up it started raining, which turned into snow as we climbed higher, which turned into a blizzard near the top. Was very exciting. We barely met anyone either on the way down or up (but it was January 3rd).

This sounds amazing. I don't think I'd get Elmlea to sleep in a shed though.

Also, Zion has been recommended to me a couple of times. I think it's only a few hours away. Definitely on the list along with Rhyolite, a ghost town with creepy sculptures.
  • I don't think I'd get Elmlea to sleep in a shed though.

Well it's not really a shed.

30_SR9087%20Phantom%20Ranch%20Canteen.jpg

You do sleep in shared lodges (though I think you can hire a 4-person cabin). It's the only way to have a night down the bottom.

More details here if you're interested, it was a pretty cool experience and the breakfast was excellent plus they have this awesome domino-based game with a train or something.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    As I get older, as do my friends and inevitably children come along and we all get more frugal with our cash monies. I have to consider the types of holidays I can take with friends. Anyway my brother put me on to this place. A camping site, it's a hit! Also options for the less frugal. Though I can't work out the booking system at times.

Supplemental: That canyon escapade looks a beast!
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Back from Leeds.  Leeds is still a shithole.  However, Harrogate (which we went to for the afternoon/evening) is lovely.  See here:

15gch91.jpg

Also, Harrogate has this pub.  I tried to explain why I found this so amusing but I'm not sure I succeeded.

2gso0fo.jpg
  • I think I've been to Harrogate before. It's near Wetherby, isn't it? Nice place, if it's the one I'm thinking of. 

Also, Yorkshire Sculpture Park is amazing on a sunny day.
  • I am going to Crete on my Honeymoon on Thursday, which is going to be amazing and only a year after the wedding! My wife is pregnant so it looks like I'll be drinking for two (ho ho she's not tired of hearing that one) we're going all inclusive which I have never done before so should be an experience.

Last holiday as a couple, next one will be as a family, scary!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!