Witness Protection - The Witness Spoiler thread. Avoid until you've completed...
‹ Previous1234
  • A thread for people who've finished the game or don't mind it being horribly, horribly spoiled - to stop people like me filling the regular Witness thread with spoiler boxes.

Though this one will probably end up with loads of them too...
  • So if you've just wondered in here having finished the main game, here are some things you may or may not have found, about which I am going to be deliberately vague for now, until we've worked out the appropriate etiquette around post-completion spoilers:

The weird bit.
    The record player.
    The (+) puzzles.
    The monoliths.

For the latter, I know how to illuminate the patterns on them, but not what that achieves.

The other three, I can happily explain, but it's way more fun to find out for yourself...
  • Re: flashy panels.

My great worry is i'll complete the damn pillars for once and it'll become apparent that the stationary images on the flashy panel (ie what they are at the start) help you beat the final puzzle inside the crypty type room.

I also wish the triangle puzzles were in the main game but I think perhaps they are probably a bit derivative of slitherink and the more original ideas were promoted in for everyone to see.
  • Also I'm fairly quick to abandon a run on the challenge.

It's worth noting that if you pause the game (options Bitton) your run automatically ends. Not inherently useful you may think but it's marginally quicker than pressing stop, waiting to put the record back on play.
  • It's worth noting that if you pause the game (options Bitton) your run automatically ends. Not inherently useful you may think but it's marginally quicker than pressing stop, waiting to put the record back on play.

I'd discovered the pause button thing the hard way - was having a fairly good run, and paused it to sort out one of my kids.  Returned and...  much swearing took place.

I might scribble down the stuff on the flashy screens before I start the run, but I think it's unlikely that they'll be needed and inaccessible afterwards, as that would be too cruel.  (Though I would have said that about the whole section if someone had described it to me earlier...)

I definitely could have done with a few more triangle puzzles to practice on - I'm quite comfortable with the others as I've learnt the language by now, but I find I still have to pause for a while over the triangles - which costs me too much time...
  • Fucking desert hexagon bastards.
    Spoiler:
  • Yeah I feel like I can instinctively feel my way through most of the rest but the triangle ones are tough because of the time pressure and the essentially one shot nature and being a pain in the ass to get to.
  • Fucking desert hexagon bastards.
    Spoiler:

I bloody hated those hexagons.  Went off, did most of the rest of the game expecting to meet something that would explain them.  Came back, and finally saw the tell tale markers.
  • I was the same!

I saw the grease on one but the panel was off so I thought I'd come back when they were all on.

I like to think those puzzles were invented when looking at an android password screen.
  • So those three grey panels appear to be impossible things in their still state.

Also. I fucking did it!!!!!!! (the challenge)
  • Havent played the game. just popped in mith my eyes closed to complement the chef on the title.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Is it ng+ to keep playing or do you go back to the save before the ending?
  • you can technically NG+ (and it does one extra worthwhile thing) but I think after that its more sane is to use the last save file.
  • So those three grey panels appear to be impossible things in their still state. Also. I fucking did it!!!!!!! (the challenge)

Damn you!  I tried again last night - got to the final symmetry pillar 5 times but ran out of time every go.  Eventually gave up in despair.

(Well done.)
  • http://youtu.be/hhryqUfV2y8

Here's the video for it if you want to watch.

For what it's worth I get to the two pillars a while before the second song kicks in but the run before that is not perfect at all (a fun moment in the pillar room where I can't find the second puzzle).

I found that only having one go at a time helped a fair bit, sort of completely decompressing between runs.
  • Also, I think my one out of trio puzzles were mostly on the easy side.
  • Yeah, I need some time away from it I think.  Went for a wonder instead and went looking for more film clips.  Found one more (on the ship, which was a nightmare to solve), but still missing the second and fourth.

Oh - and found the way to unlock the secret ending without restarting the game...
  • n0face wrote:
    Is it ng+ to keep playing or do you go back to the save before the ending?

Use your last save file - the NG+ bit crayon mentioned is worth finding, but can be obtained from your existing save file, and I suspect it's even more satisfying when found that way...
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Yeah, I need some time away from it I think.  Went for a wonder instead and went looking for more film clips.  Found one more (on the ship, which was a nightmare to solve), but still missing the second and fourth.

Oh - and found the way to unlock the secret ending without restarting the game...

The ship.

My girlfriend had to do all the
    Spoiler:
  • Spoilered because it's somewhat optional.
  • It took me a far while staring at the door of the ship before I even realised it was that sort of puzzle...
  • Where are you guys finding all this stuff? I've continued on my old save and can't see anything different.
  • Different not being the right word really, but I'm sure you know what I mean
  • you've almost certainly seen the ship, if you explore around the back of the floor buttons area (MAZE) there's a door.  For the other stuff, go to the top of the mountain and you know the box you used to open the mountain door? (a man carries it) look at the underneath of the box. That should set you busy with the stuff we're talking about.
  • Yeah, I haven't done the ship bit yet, might head there for a look.

I saw the puzzle extended under the box on the mountain and did that but didn't notice any difference, tried to follow the white wire but couldn't see where it went.
  • it turns on a puzzle before the final puzzle room with the six  pillar puzzles.
  • Ah, the guy sat on the floor?
  • And down the rabbit hole he goes...
  • It's all gone a bit Stanley Parable.
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!