Welcome
  • Who's deleting threads?

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • This isn't about asking, as it should be, it's about enforcing. Fuck that. You've been a twat yourself, as have I. Deleting threads is bullshit.

Pageturn.

• Ask g.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • You've been a twat yourself, as have I.

Being a twat is one thing, Bob is something else.
  • It's the sheer fucking sense of entitled outrage. Bob is wind up but I'm serious, so listen to me not him. Fuck you.
  • Bob is an assault rifle, apparently. Out of gazelles cold dead hands.

;)
  • Asking to reign in Bob is so besides the point I'm kind of amazed someone did, but they did. Well done you. Enjoy the power, ya dick.
  • I still don't know what you are talking about? Was a thread deleted?

Afaik, because of this thread, temps asked someone to have a word with Bob about not being a dick.

As mentioned, we don't know the content of the convo.

If Bob hasn't been banned, and has chosen to leave, I don't get what the big deal is.

As also mentioned in this thread, other folks have left because of his behaviour, do we ignore that?

I dunno, I still get bemused and confused over what gets folks riled up.

• Why was any of this brought up in the Welcome thread, of all places? I mean, I know the chances of someone new turning up now are slim, but it's not exactly, well, welcoming, is it? It might be someone coming back to say hi, and then, oh yeah, that's why I left in the first place...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Calm your farm Gazelle
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Andy wrote:
    You've been a twat yourself, as have I.

That really is quite something coming from you.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    You've been a twat yourself, as have I.
    That really is quite something coming from you.

Andy can be terse, sure, but he:

1) apologises if he gets nasty
    2) doesn't attack people personally 

I've seen Bob say horrendous shit to people. He's a Grade A Cunt. Fuck him. He's not an asshole because people antagonise him. He's a piece of human garbage that is indulged by people here and everyone else has to put up with it. Anyone else who said some of the shit he said would have been banned long ago. I don't know why Bob seems to get a pass.
  • Seriously, why does Bob get a pass? He's easily the most offensive and nasty member of this forum. What's the deal?
  • JonB wrote:
    Why was any of this brought up in the Welcome thread, of all places? I mean, I know the chances of someone new turning up now are slim, but it's not exactly, well, welcoming, is it? It might be someone coming back to say hi, and then, oh yeah, that's why I left in the first place...

Erm, that’ll be my fault initially. The last I knew he’d left to go on holiday but after three or four weeks I’d still not seen him back and so I posted in here to check that he was back/due back/hadn’t been eaten by a tiger or anything whilst on his holidays. As Bob had been away for a number of weeks I thought the welcome thread was just about the most sensible place to post my query seeing as we don’t have a missing persons thread (now there’s an idea). Like many best laid plans, things can run away from our initial ideas. So yeah, sorry if I’ve unintentionally de-welcomed the welcome thread but it seemed a good place to put a fairly innocuous question which - I will quickly add - Tempy answered with honesty and clarity.

So yeah, sorry for that.
  • Funnily enough, I'm sure skezzer had a MIA thread.
  • Seriously, why does Bob get a pass? He's easily the most offensive and nasty member of this forum. What's the deal?

Same reason Gonzo "gets a pass."

No one actually wants moderation or moderators.

And I think everyone wants to have a very long leash, relative to any other forum outside of the 8chans of this world.

I don't always frequent threads where Bob is, so I generally only see (imo) mildly dickish posts, which I'd say fall within, again imo, the bounds of different strokes etc.

Unless I'm forgetting someone, let's remember the only person ever actually zapped, was lawro. And that took some pretty freakin consistent abhorrent posting.

(and, iirc, there's still some members who would have preferred no ban even then.)

I dunno.
  • Gonzo and Bob are nowhere near each other in terms of viciousness. Gonzo got a talking to for taking the piss (about a member's choice of football clubs) and not backing off. Bob is often straight up nasty and aggressive. 

You're right that I don't want moderation, though. My preference was, and still is, a wider use of the ignore function. I'm ok with moderators having a chat behind closed doors with certain members, as long as that chat doesn't contain veiled threats, especially for non-abusive posts.

But let's not say Gonzo and Bob are basically 2 sides of the same coin. They aren't.
  • Btw, that's not even a shot at hozno. He drives me nuts sometimes, but that's my dude.
  • I'm trying not to be annoyed by this and failing, having just discovered it today. I suppose someone has a right to be annoyed, and someone has a right to listen to their annoyance, but I'd expect that person to tell that other person to fuck off, which didn't happen.

I’ve long given up trying to engage with him, constructively or otherwise, because it never had any effect beyond trading jibes fit a few pages.

I dunno what G said but all I asked was for him to maybe have a word. I didn’t ask for him to go anywhere, just reign it in a little because people were getting exasperated.
  • JonB wrote:
    Why was any of this brought up in the Welcome thread, of all places? I mean, I know the chances of someone new turning up now are slim, but it's not exactly, well, welcoming, is it? It might be someone coming back to say hi, and then, oh yeah, that's why I left in the first place...
    Erm, that’ll be my fault initially. The last I knew he’d left to go on holiday but after three or four weeks I’d still not seen him back and so I posted in here to check that he was back/due back/hadn’t been eaten by a tiger or anything whilst on his holidays. As Bob had been away for a number of weeks I thought the welcome thread was just about the most sensible place to post my query seeing as we don’t have a missing persons thread (now there’s an idea). Like many best laid plans, things can run away from our initial ideas. So yeah, sorry if I’ve unintentionally de-welcomed the welcome thread but it seemed a good place to put a fairly innocuous question which - I will quickly add - Tempy answered with honesty and clarity. So yeah, sorry for that.
    To clarifly, by 'any of this' I didn't mean your original question so much as the less welcoming stuff that's now followed. If we could keep pissed rants elsewhere that would be ideal.
  • I'm with JonB.

I'm really happy I found this place two years ago and got to see old faces again.

If I'd found it today and read this thread, I'd have not even bothered saying hello. It's the least welcoming welcome thread ever and you lot are better than this.

x

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Someone make an alt or two so we can bury these pages.
  • There isn't a good answer to situations like this though, is there? There'll always be friction, and you hope when someone's asked (by anyone) to tone things down a bit they'll give it a try for the sake of overall harmony. If not, some people get sick of it and end up leaving. FWIW I didn't want Bob to go but I didn't want others to go because of him either. So?
  • Could we actually move the last few pages to the MIA thread?
  • I'm with JonB.

I'm really happy I found this place two years ago and got to see old faces again.

If I'd found it today and read this thread, I'd have not even bothered saying hello. It's the least welcoming welcome thread ever and you lot are better than this.

x

Me too Kris. This could easily be buried under 2 pages of welcome rev posts.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Where is he when you need him?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!