Spelunky!
  • I don't think there's a tighter action platformer game out there. Now I've got this new puppy running around the place, there's no better game to pick up and play for two minutes in between carnage.
  • My attempts at a start to finish run are not going particularly well. Perhaps I need to take my time a little more. It's hard when ghosty wants to spawn and I have so much to collect and there's so many insta kill traps
  • I think I’ve got worse since this came out last week. Struggling to get past the first area on a regular basis. Probably should practice the jungle with the short cut a bit. Fucking traps everywhere.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Jungle is hard but I've got really good at it now. The bear traps get me more than anything else.
  • Bear trap right by the exit ruined a really good run last night. So annoyed.
  • It's funny but I just can't rage at this game. It's always my fault whenever I kark it. I just laugh and restart and off we go again.
  • It's funny but I just can't rage at this game. It's always my fault whenever I kark it. I just laugh and restart and off we go again.
    And that's the hook, it's the most fucking evil game EVER but it's never unfair
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Try walking into a shop and you've no idea because how could you but there's a rolling lizard in there and it instantly triggers and starts rolling and the shopkeeper shoots you dead. That's not fair.

The hidden snap traps, the ones you can hardly see behind the shrubbery - I suppose technically that's fair, because if you carefully scan every inch of scenery all the time you shouldn't get caught out by one. But that's not a fun way to play.

I feel like it's trying to make you think it's all your fault, but really it isn't because it's making you remember too many things at once.

Anyway, I stopped playing it. Just wasn't enjoying it much after a while.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    I've been trying to find the sweet spot between speed and safety because those unfair deaths can really break the spirit when they come at the end of a long run.  For me they're just about worth it in exchange for the more pleasant surprises but it's totally understandable if it puts people off.  I do think the game is a little too harsh but it's early days.  Might change my mind once a special ending is doable under 20mins.

Speaking of which, I've pieced together one special route but haven't managed to finish it, got insta-killed by an unfamiliar hazard after a thirty minute run...not sure how some of the other stuff fits together yet.  Hmm.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    I got gifted a copy of this the other day, I should load it up - I was bad at, but loved the first game
  • It's a fucking brutal beast, and sometimes the only thing to do is turn it off after you get kicked in the teeth, but deep down you know you could've done better and got further. You just fucked up.

I've been learning a new thing about the game nearly every session, and whatever I learn I can almost always put into practice within the next couple of minutes, and see the results from my actions, and then see how to adapt - all within a couple of minutes.

There's not many games that can do that. It's just a masterpiece. It's not even about progress through the game, it's simply the act of playing it that gives me pleasure.
  • It's a fucking brutal beast, and sometimes the only thing to do is turn it off after you get kicked in the teeth, but deep down you know you could've done better and got further. You just fucked up.

I've been learning a new thing about the game nearly every session, and whatever I learn I can almost always put into practice within the next couple of minutes, and see the results from my actions, and then see how to adapt - all within a couple of minutes.

There's not many games that can do that. It's just a masterpiece. It's not even about progress through the game, it's simply the act of playing it that gives me pleasure.
  • Been having fun with it recently. Trying to be a bit bolder and a bit better in how I approach it, which has lead to me clearing 1-4 and getting stuck into the second world with the Udjet Eye regularly, but I managed to end both of my best runs cursed, it’s absurd how quickly stuff goes south.
  • Once I stopped focusing on getting lots of gold and the curse jar, I have been doing much, much better. Usually rob the shopkeep if I can for the shotty and pick up a dog if it's on the way down and not too much faff. Despite the run ending calamities that happen oh so often, I am definitely improving every time I play. This is a better game than the first one.
  • JonB wrote:
    Try walking into a shop and you've no idea because how could you but there's a rolling lizard in there and it instantly triggers and starts rolling and the shopkeeper shoots you dead.
    Oh yeah that's pish

• I carried a turkey, killed by its own misadventures, into the Turkey guy’s place. He wasn’t happy. I’m al like, “dude, I found this”, and he’s all like “taste my crossbow you Turkey killing bastard”. Harsh.
  • Why would you remind him of the brutality of the world?

Anyway my take on turkeys is pretty simple: bomb the fuckers. Until Derek makes returning them profitable, gettting two health for one bomb is much better value, and also frees up the pets for a Kali sacrifice or two.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    I carried a turkey, killed by its own misadventures, into the Turkey guy’s place. He wasn’t happy. I’m al like, “dude, I found this”, and he’s all like “taste my crossbow you Turkey killing bastard”. Harsh.
    hope you dropped the ungreatfull fucker

• It was unexpected. I died. (Ftr I was gonna the turkey for its sweet sweet meaty hearts).
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Was on for a decent DC today but made the mistake of spending too long waiting for an angry shopkeeper to die to relieve his corpse of the shotgun, which he did in the end but mere moments before I followed him...
  • 577 plays, 257 deaths, and I got a basic Spelunky 2 win! YES! Fuckin YESSS!

End score screen:
    Spoiler:

Statistics Page:
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So 320 runs without deaths that you didn't win on? Intriguing...
  • Quick quit and restart if things go wrong early.

I didn't use it anywhere near that much though. I think I was on about 350 runs, mostly deaths, when I stopped.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Oh, so he cheated.  SHAME ON HIM!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    No wonder he got quick Hades runs, abusing the RNG, smdh
  • I play a lot whilst on voice chat so if I take 2 or 3 damage to a stupid mistake in 1-1 or 1-2 I just restart. There’s no point in limping on IMO, especially if your opening is tripping into a scorpion pot or whatever.
  • Absolutely. Losing just one heart can scupper a run early on. Where do you find those stats Tempy?? I can't see them anywhere.

I've been more into uncovering the secrets than actually finishing it.

With regards to 2-3 Volcana,
    Spoiler:

I can't wait to get back there now. I really, really love this game.
  • Re drill:
    Spoiler:
  • Stats are from the opening menu somewhere... i’ll check later.

If you want a non-spoiler for the drill, look at the symbol above the block that’s next to the drill, which shows you what you need to activate it.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    So many secrets and so tempting to look them up, but I did that with the first one. Think I’ll stick with the slow reveal as I slowly progress through the game.

Such as:
    Spoiler:

Can only imagine what the equivalent eggplant challenge hoops you have to go through for this game.
    Things can only get better.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!