Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I know I know, it just feels link we are actually moving backwards on all this, then I think it's probably a cyclical thing.
  • If I read your posts in a Denzel voice, you become the best poster on here Bor1s.

For a moment, I thought you meant:

Ofah_denzil.png
  • n0face wrote:
    I'm of a slightly tanned complexion and have a beard. I've been stopped and searched for terrorist reasons and regularly get hurled racist abuse and I've just got a tan. Life must be hard for those who have to put up with prejudice all the time.

I've not been subjected to much over the years, not since almost regular racist abuse at secondary school. The area I live in (since 1995) is mostly old people and dare I say people of better class than xenophobic/racist low lives (grrr!). The other day though, I was walking home not too far from some teenage kids and heard one of them use a racist/xenophobic term to another. He was looking at me from the corner of his eye. Made my blood boil and wanted to pummel his puny head. But hey, he'd probably get his dad to blow my house up or get the cops to put me behind bars if I did that. Wanted to hurl some racist terms back at him, but I didn't want to get down to their low level. 

I think I'm generally good at blocking out racist taunts. I'd love to maybe walk over to a perpetrator one of these days and try and talk to them. But I don't think I have it in me and might lose my temper. 

Re: progress, I think it's gotten much better over the years. The anount of shit my family got in early '90s was horrible. Relative peace now.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I think there's certainly a lot less overt racism these days, however, don't think the number of racist folk has changed a great deal, they just know they have to be more careful about revealing their true nature.

Always shocks me when people just come out with something racist to someone they don't really know and seemingly expect them to agree.

Remember being at Stockport bus station about 10 years ago (had a shaved head at the time and a fondness for Stone Island) and was looking at a timetable. On the same poster was a photo your standard  'generic mulitcultural selection of passengers' and this elderly woman stood next to me turned to me and said something along the lines of "God they're everywhere now arent they, got to have them on these posters and everything, you're not even allowed to call them anymore" expecting me to join in her perfectly rational disapproval of what she no doubt saw as political correctness gone mad / an impending immigrant apocalypse.

Can't remember my exact response, but it was something like fuck off you nasty old cunt, and she seemed genuinely suprised that I didn't share her values. She did at least fuck off sharpish.
  • n0face wrote:
    I'm of a slightly tanned complexion and have a beard. I've been stopped and searched for terrorist reasons and regularly get hurled racist abuse and I've just got a tan. Life must be hard for those who have to put up with prejudice all the time.
    Maybe you just look a bit shifty.
  • I had a rucksack, a coat and keys to a tall building I could only be there for one reason.
  • It's the jihadist beard.
  • adored wrote:
    I think there's certainly a lot less overt racism these days, however, don't think the number of racist folk has changed a great deal, they just know they have to be more careful about revealing their true nature. Always shocks me when people just come out with something racist to someone they don't really know and seemingly expect them to agree.

Yeah, I get a bit of this at work.  Every now and again I get a patient who assumes that because I'm so white I'm practically transparent, that I must therefore agree with their rampant racism. I've had everything from someone reciting the Rivers of Blood speech, to a guy telling me that all mixed race couples should be shot.  I used to find this incredibly difficult -  I'm not a particularly confrontational guy at the best of times, but in the role of doctor it's particularly tricky to start telling people that they're racist arseholes.  So I would say nothing and change the subject.  After my kids were born however (my wife is asian) I decided that I just couldn't let such stuff slide and vowed to argue with anyone who expressed such views.  I'm always surprised by how well it goes.  One guy refuses to see me anymore, but others have actually changed their views and behaviours on the back of gentle but assertive disagreement.  (I guess it helps that most of those who express such views are of a generation that still thinks doctors carry some sort of authority...)

My favourite bit of random middle class racism was when I was walking down the street with my baby daughter.  A little old lady stopped to peer into the pram, and after coo-ing for a while looked up at me with my ginger hair and translucent skin, then back to my daughter with her beautiful brown skin and eyes.  "She's beautiful isn't she?" she asked, and I agreed happily, then stood slack jawed after her next line -  "Which country did you get her from?"
  • I've got black hair and my youngest is blond, as a baby practically platinum. A rasta stopped me on the street laughed uproariously and shouted 'dat baby ain't da same colour as you' then walked off giggling to himself.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    And so it goes both ways. This pisses me off too and it's a subtle thing certainly in parts of the black community there's an element of accepted racism to white people, thinking possibly because they feel it's justified as a form of retaliation. 

I definitely take people on an individual basis and not sure why other people can't. Only exception are XB1 pre-orderers, bloody scum need to get out of our country ;-)
  • I got a round of applause once on a bus for telling off some chavvy scumbag who was mouthing off to a middle aged black woman, seemingly to try and impress two equally chavvy girls who probably should have been in school at the time.

Any attempt he made to try and say anything back to me after that was met with a shout of 'oh shut up' from somewhere on the bus. After going bright red, he pressed the button and got off the bus.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!