Twitter twa...I mean, chatter (And various social media guff)
  • To be honest … I know how Facebook ads work. And I know those ads would have been rejected for having too much text - regardless of what they said.

Facebook have rules on what percentage of an ad’s area can be used for text, versus image. These Signal ads would never have been published.
  • Has anyone been reading the brutal reporting on Facebook by the Wall Street Journal this week?

Thought I’d share this writeup from Bob Hoffman’s newsletter because it’s a good primer if you haven’t. Hoffman is an advertising industry critic, and has recently been speaking to the UK Gov about Facebook and how nasty it is.
    This week, The Wall Street Journal took the scumbags, liars, squids, and creeps at Facebook apart piece by piece. In a multi-part series entitled "The Facebook Files" the Journal took internal emails they obtained from a whistleblower at Facebook and demonstrated without any question how Facebook has been continuously lying to legislators, regulators, and the public about the damage their business is doing to society.

The most shocking aspect of the series is that all the most damning information comes directly from the mouths of Facebook executives themselves. It is in the form of memos they have written to each other. They know exactly what's going on, exactly the damage they're doing, exactly the lies they perpetrate, and yet they effectively do nothing to change. The net outcome of their "concerns" is overwhelmingly to cover up and perpetuate their disgraceful misconduct.

It is perfectly clear that Facebook is an organization that is thoroughly corrupt and rotten to the core. It is also perfectly clear that Zuckerbag and Sandbag know exactly what is going and are at the center of the depraved culture that permeates the company.

The Journal series focused on several areas...

- Criminal Activity: From the Journal, "In January, a former cop turned Facebook...investigator posted an all-staff memo on the company’s internal message board ... A Mexican drug cartel was using Facebook to recruit, train and pay hit men... the company didn’t stop the cartel from posting on Facebook or Instagram.." Internal Facebook research has shown that human trafficking, sex slavery, incitement to violence, organ selling and other lovely activities are openly conducted on Facebook. Brian Boland, a former Facebook Vice President said, “There is very rarely a significant, concerted effort to invest in fixing those areas.”

- Standards: Facebook claims that its policies regarding behavior on their platform apply to all users equally. But it has had an ongoing secret policy called XCheck in which celebrities, politicians, and certain journalists are "whitelisted" or exempted from the standards of acceptable postings. According to the Journal, "Whitelisted accounts shared inflammatory claims that Facebook’s fact checkers deemed false, including that vaccines are deadly, that Hillary Clinton had covered up “pedophile rings,” and that then-President Donald Trump had called all refugees seeking asylum “animals” ..."

- Mental Health: Facebook's internal research showed that its Instagram division was doing serious mental health damage to teen girls, but hid the research from the public and from Congress. 13% of teen girls in the UK who were considering suicide traced their thoughts to Instagram. A research company owned by Facebook reported internally that “Thirty-two percent of teen girls said that when they felt bad about their bodies, Instagram made them feel worse.” An internal slide presentation reported, “Teens blame Instagram for increases in the rate of anxiety and depression...This reaction was unprompted and consistent across all groups.” Of course, this was never shared publicly. Instead, at a congressional hearing, we got this horseshit from Zuckerberg, “The research that we’ve seen is that using social apps to connect with other people can have positive mental-health benefits.” 

- Political Radicalization: Facebook made a change to its algorithm in 2018 which made the platform more toxic to civil exchange and more susceptible to harmful content. As a result, executives proposed changes to Zuckerberg for the purpose of mitigating these harmful effects. Zuckerberg, knowing that outrageous lies and misinformation lead to greater "engagement" resisted the changes. As I stated in my comments to members of Parliament in the UK earlier this year, Facebook's algorithm feeds divisive content in order to keep users in the "corral." According to the Journal, Facebook researchers "concluded that the new algorithm’s heavy weighting of reshared material in its News Feed made the angry voices louder. 'Misinformation, toxicity, and violent content are inordinately prevalent among reshares'”

- COVID Misinformation: Mark Zuckerberg wrote, “Through this crisis, one of my top priorities is making sure that you see accurate and authoritative information across all of our apps.” Yeah, right. In fact, Facebook has been the world's largest source of lies and misinformation about COVID. According to an internal memo, at one point Facebook users were seeing 775 million vax items a day -- 41% of which were anti- vaccination. According to the authors of the memo, "even authoritative sources of vaccine information were becoming 'cesspools of anti-vaccine comments...That’s a huge problem and we need to fix it.'” Yeah, good luck with that. According to The Washington Post, U.S. government officials have become "deeply frustrated" at Facebook's policy of stonewalling them about COVID misinformation.

The summary I have made here of The Wall Street Journal's series does not even scratch the surface. I urge you to read the full series.

For a good laugh, here's the tone deaf response of a Facebook spokesquid to this week's bombshells, “...the suggestion we are trying to hide or prevent research into the role our platform plays is anecdotal and inconsistent with the facts.” 

Dude, your company is a shit factory and you are a clown.
  • I for one am shocked by these findings...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    other lovely activities are openly conducted on Facebook.

Yeah, you should see my local selling group.
  • The missus browsing maternity and baby stuff found thinly veiled sex work being offered - think it was lingerie for sale "pics on request and other services also available" summat like that.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Ironing?
  • Escape wrote:
    Ironing?

I saw an advert in a pub toilets (bar39) for cleaning/ironing etc, had a lovely pic of a maid in lingerie.
    It said over 70 years of experience!

Eeeeew.
  • Do you not all do your cleaning in sexy lingerie? I know i do.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Do you not all do your cleaning in sexy lingerie? I know i do.

Of course.
    It was the sexy pic and young looking lady with 70 years of experience that got me! ;)
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Now I'm thinking about the Romeo Cleaners - thanks Eurotrash...
  • Jack is leaving Twitter, presumably to spend more time with his Nazi's.
  • Twitter's newest round of rule changes are being used by cunts to get people suspended.

Its supposed to be about stopping doxxing, but there appears to be no human input (again), as dickheads are mass reporting people who post their own photos, or contact information.

Twitter then decides, yep, you broke the rules and suspends people. At first until you delete the tweet, but can ramp up into permenant bans.

As ever, they offer a wall of silence on this, but the same sort doing this will post all sorts hateful shit, and their algorithm decides its all fine.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I left FB several years ago but then went back. Its main purpose was to stay in touch with a globe trotting friend who is now home.

Thinking about it now I don't really get that much benefit from it. I think it's time I brought the shutters down on it.

I use the messaging service but have gradually been moving to WhatsApp which doesn't leave much reason to stay. I suppose the sensible thing is to not kill the account but just stop using it and knock any notifications on the head.

I have never been tempted by Twitter which looks a mess and seems to be filled with hate.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yeah, agree with Drew. I have a twitter and I only follow comedians, musicians, videogame news and nsfw stuff, my feed is joyous. Curate your social media and it's fine.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I love my feed until some peeps retweet shit I don't wanna see and give zero fucks about, but that's just a given. Just as I'm sure a load of my followers don't wanna see FM tactics off me.
  • I will follow you and slip painfully into your dms
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Always for you
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    DrewMerson wrote:
    It’s also filled with love and joy, and humour. What you see on twitter (particularly if you use a third-party app, which doesn’t show you things it thinks you might be interested in) is just what you choose to make it. Want to just fill it with videogames and cute animals? Done. Only people you personally know? Fine. The reason people who don’t use twitter think that it only has the hateful stuff is because that’s what some journalists will go looking for to sprinkle in their stories.

Perhaps I should think again then.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I just don't like to use Twitter much as it's full of other people and their stupid opinions.

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Yeah, but all you need to do is follow people who you like and with Good Opinions.
  • I keep a couple of nutjobs and arseholes in the mix for spice.
  • I might go through a proper cull later tonight. Get rid of anyone who I don't like.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Woah there tiger…
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • poprock wrote:
    I keep a couple of nutjobs and arseholes in the mix for spice.
    I like to look up what Julia Hartley-Brewer thinks from time to time to just remind me of why the world is awful.
  • I might go through a proper cull later tonight. Get rid of anyone who I don't like.

Just checked….. phew ;)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Ah you can stay. You're lovely
  • Ah you can stay. You're lovely

Thank you. I genuinely have anxiety about that sort of thing. I’ve just had the 48th person unfriend me on Facebook. I genuinely thought we were friends, so I messaged her, had second thoughts, deleted the message, but too late as she’d seen it. Her reply was the ramblings of a lunatic, so now I’m slightly concerned I’m a terrible judge of character.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!