ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Also I guess his soundcloud will have his summer mises for this year, I keepo meaning to check those whenever they get linked here but forget, will pop over now I reckon

edit : JazzyJeff for those that can't scroll back a page
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Any recommendations for some instrumental hip hop stuff. Just for something a little different.thanks.
    Peter3C
  • Not necessarily 'hip-hop' instrumentals, but The Gaslamp Killer and Badbadnotgood are both worth checking out. Both have dabbled in production for various hip-hop artists; the later produced Ghostface Killah's recent one I believe
  • pc71 wrote:
    Any recommendations for some instrumental hip hop stuff. Just for something a little different.thanks.

El-P: Weareallgoingtoburninhellmegamixxx3
    Gamertag: gremill
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    pc71 wrote:
    Any recommendations for some instrumental hip hop stuff. Just for something a little different.thanks.

The only thing I can think of that's even worth the time is Pete Rock's Petestrumental series.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Cheers to all, lots to check out!
    Peter3C
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Not instrumental but really stripped back to almost bare, I fell in love with Main Attrakionz a few years back (Mr B's recomm I think) and checking them out I see they've put out a DarkGrape/808 3 that I've not heard yet so will grab that, would suggest you chcek them out as well
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    The instrumental versions of Jaylib's Champion Sound and Peanut Butter Wolf's My vinyl Weighs a Ton are well worth checking out. Madlib's Beat Konducta series too.

For something a bit different, I highly recommend Yesterday's New Quintet. It's jazz/hip-hop instrumentals by Madlib (again).
  • Much appreciated guys
    Peter3C
  • I'm Spotify all the way hope it's all on there. I've noticed some strange absences like the bedrock track from trainspotting soundtrack plus no mo wax headz...just 2 I'm sure there's loads more
    Peter3C
  • Um, how did I never listen to "The World Needs More Skillz"!?

As in Skillz album from 2010. As in formerly Mad Skillz. As in "ghost writer"

As in, it's fucking great.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Um, how did I never listen to "The World Needs More Skillz"!?

As in Skillz album from 2010. As in formerly Mad Skillz. As in "ghost writer"

As in, it's fucking great.

Hmm. Ghost writer was a tune. I'll check it out.
  • Gonna guess you'll prefer the one before from 08.
  • Since he expressed an interest in Eminem, I am currently compiling a Rap/Hip-Hop playlist for my 11yo son and have come to the conclusion that worrying about the language used in the music is utterly pointless if I want him to get into some decent tunes.

I will, however, have to have a conversation with him about the content, attitude and context of the music.

Any suggestions for the playlist are welcomed.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I think attempting to shield kids from bad language is impossible and naive. Teaching them context is all you can do, I always figured I wouldn't be upset if a child of mine swore as long as they did it with imagination
  • New Big Boi album is quite tidy. Not Outkast levels, but a couple of bangers
  • Gremill wrote:
    Since he expressed an interest in Eminem, I am currently compiling a Rap/Hip-Hop playlist for my 11yo son and have come to the conclusion that worrying about the language used in the music is utterly pointless if I want him to get into some decent tunes. I will, however, have to have a conversation with him about the content, attitude and context of the music. Any suggestions for the playlist are welcomed.

What sort of thing we talking Grem? from early 00s onwards? More popular type stuff?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I'd wager an 11yr old dipping his toe in could be hooked by speedy types, so it might be worth introducing him to some of the more family friendly words-per-minute mob.  Maybe Lyrics Born or Blackalicious, then you wouldn't have to worry about vetting it too much anyway.

Edit: Chuck in something like Power in Numbers or Improvise by Jurassic 5 too, multiple MCs might appeal.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Pharoah Monch might appeal in that case, not sure how much of his output is family friendly but boy's got flow
  • I've decided that it's too late for family friendly rap. All of those (Monch excepted) are already on the list. I'm up to 52 tracks atm.
  • I am, though, trying to focus on the more 'friendly' spectrum of rap - so Blackalicious, Latyrx, J5, De La etc are the route I'm trying to go down. Not too much violent imagery or drug refs, for example, so Wu are mainly out.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    LLCoolJ, Slick Rick, though actually might be far too much sex there
  • Mr. Lif, The Perceptionists maybe.  DJ Format.  Some of Abdominal's solo stuff is okay.  Scroobius Pip, Aesop Rock, Mos Def, Brother Ali, The Mighty Underdogs or selected Gift of the Gab solo stuff.  Buck 65, The Roots, Dilated Peoples, Digable Planets.
  • Nice one, cheers Moot.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    I think attempting to shield kids from bad language is impossible and naive. Teaching them context is all you can do, I always figured I wouldn't be upset if a child of mine swore as long as they did it with imagination

Aye, I said twat at the dinner table when I was five, they'll hear far worse out with their mates.

Just caught back up with those and noticed there were a couple more recs chucked my way, will get on 'em in due time, cheers.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    MF Doom, Lone Catalyst, Eyedeas and Abilities, anything under the Eastern Conference label, especially Mr Eon, Ras Kass, JZone, Charles Hamilton (nobody likes him, except for me...), absolutely try out Kool Keith on an 11 year old... Dude's full of imagination, Dr Dooom is particularly good, Little Brother, MC Paul Barman, Joey Badass (Pro Era generally, gotta stay current), Kendrick, Your Old Droog, Cage (not too friendly, but Emimen-ish), Clear Soul Forces, Murs, Atmosphere, Mac fuckin' Miller, though I'm not crazy for him... Flatbush Zombies...

Those are my initial thoughts anyway.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Geto Boys, Mind of a Lunatic
  • I find that offensive and I'm dead inside.
  • Brother Ali last 2 are a must. Aesop is obvious.

Roots, mos def. I know he's not your favourite but talib has tracks for days in the mode you want.

Outcast? Big grams, the big boi phantogram Colab?

I ooh, homeboy sandman.

Selected Royce.

There's a handful of awesome bangers on killer Mike rap music that suit.

Common?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!