Hippa to da Hoppa, you just don't stoppa
  • Saw that, am excited. Have to wait for an opportunity while Mrs Poprock is otherwise engaged, as I’ve watched the first three seasons without her.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    New Mac Miller is out.
    Just quietly, it's fucking amazing. Basically a soul record and it's stunning. Bittersweet given circumstances. So good though.

Just finished it and I kinda hated it unfortunately.  Blue World was decent enough but then it just seemed to meander along in 'not my cup of tea' territory (until the pretty good closing track, admittedly).
  • https://youtu.be/wJN52ihKiqY

An amazing Beatles/Hip Hop Legends mash up.
    Xbox - Boozy The Clown
    Forza4Lyfe
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    This morning's listening (picked from a few lists I was just reading): Raising_Hell_%28Run_DMC_album_-_cover_art%29.jpg 1445439 Only really listened to Run DMC via compilations and I don't think I've heard Ultramagnetic MC's at all, unless someone dropped them on a playlist in here.   Going in shortly.
    Forgot to say these were both great. Even though it's quite a specific snapshot of an era it's a uniquely timeless sound.  I enjoyed the Run-DMC album but the Ultramagnetic MC's effort was a riot.  Funny how something so of its time can feel like a breath of fresh air.  If I'm listening to, say (let's say) a country album from the late 80s, there's often the 'urgh this track would be so much better without the [flute]' feeling (much like most genres).  But these just sound right to fresh ears in 2020 - even without the benefit of hindsight, lel.
    The Ultramagnetics album is an all-timer. Still one of my favourites.

You should get hold of The Four Horsemen as well. Bit weirder but still some amazing beats.
  • Shame about Mac @moot. To me his whole vibe is to just meander. As much as I dig production and it's worth properly listening to, he's really perfect, IMO for background tunes or driving.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I'll give Four Horsemen a go if it's on Tidal Jon, thanks.

I think the smooth side of the Milller album was a bit too prominent for me. Modern R&B is my IDGI genre.
  • Got Four Horesmen on now, as it's on Youtube.  A Neil Ruddock reference just blew my mind for the entirety of the 20 seconds it took me to Google Razor Ruddock.
  • Pure king shit

• Viper still keeping it real I see.
  • He's on bandcamp now, should be good for when rap music's Tonetta nukes his entire Youtube history again.

Shatta is still such a legitimately decent cut.
  • Fuck me I was looking for that for ages, it got nuked from yt, thanks Brooks.
  • Had a different name, and yeah it bangs.
  • Obviously the fell-off-a-poorly-modded-pickup-truck quality of the production is an important filter on his entire exercise but what I wouldn't give to throw this guy in a proper studio with sympathetic engineers for 6 months with all the drugs he wanted.
  • Yeah mate of mine at work who's into his hip hop a lot said of that track a few years ago when I was living it that the beats are good but he sounds like he's underwater and overall shit. I quite like the character of it.
  • Late in on the latest Eminem album.  Small number of duff tracks aside I liked it.  There's a bit too much unnecessary showboating but his flows rarely fail to impress.  Lyrically....I don't really care.  I know this makes me a sitting duck for tomato pelting, but if his constructed persona says things I don't agree with I just give it le shrug as I don't plan on inviting him round for tea.  I'm not going to listen to overt misogyny in rap and come away thinking 'omg this dude's right!', so I'm sort of at peace with not being particularly bothered by it.  I like the way his raps sound, but I wouldn't study the content.  He's an incredibly skilled lyricist but only insomuch as he's capable of manipulating square words to fit in round holes and his bars sound good when they hit your ears.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    ^ no argument from me

Easy to separate the music from the man from the message and how much is satire, and how much is pandering to the worst parts of his audience. Though that same worst parts will be pretty upset by the gun control message
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Lil Wayne album is kinda sorta worth a ski through. First couple of tracks and maybe 1 or 2 more diverting tracks.

Its basically all trap/mumble bar a couple, to the point where the only difference appears to be the loop/sample. (telling that the opening track is little different and awesome.)

He's potentially still awesome, but it'd take proper diversity of production before I'd bother with a full length again.

• I gave up on it after about 4 tracks as it just was not doing it for me, unfortunately. But then I've always been hot and cold on him anyway
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Haven't looked into who Worlds to Run (Busdriver?) are, but a colleague put this on a playlist yesterday and I liked:

I've tried to get into Paak a couple of times but it's a sort of arm's length appreciation.  One of his albums was v.good, was maybe 4 years ago now.  Nice guest spot here though.
  • I like the stuff Busdriver did with Daedalus.

• Facewon wrote:
    Lil Wayne album is kinda sorta worth a ski through. First couple of tracks and maybe 1 or 2 more diverting tracks. Its basically all trap/mumble bar a couple, to the point where the only difference appears to be the loop/sample. (telling that the opening track is little different and awesome.) He's potentially still awesome, but it'd take proper diversity of production before I'd bother with a full length again.

I'm appreciating his gentle physical transformation into Lee Scratch Perry but the only track I ever recall is A Milli. It's still good.
  • It is. That whole album is the one for me.

New one really is onyl worth it for the few tracks he goes off on one of his ramble verses of free association.

• I basically love Lil Wayne for his guest verse on Loyal. Never really given his own music a proper go.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Oh and his verse on I'm the One too...
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Carter 3. Do it.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Carter 3. Do it.

Yup. It is fantastic
  • Okay, I will have a listen tomorrow. I'll add it to my big playlist.
  • I should be listening to George Michael really, but I've done this:

R-11979828-1526570585-8792.jpeg.jpg

...and I'm creeping closer to Bonethugs on this:

NotoriousB.I.G.LifeAfterDeath.jpg

My hot take, not that it's entirely relevant or they should necessarily be automatically compared in 2020, but Biggie vs Tupac isn't even a competition to my ears.  I like some Tupac tracks, but my scorecard shows a win for Wallace in pretty much every category.
  • For me it's tough to really compare them. I'd say they were about even but Big had Puffy behind him controlling the brand, message etc. At all times to ensure high quality output. Pac just did all sorts of shit.

Also biggie had 2 albums to Pacs....shit load. So easier to find the bad in Pacs back catalogue. Also pac just wanted out of his deal so recorded all of his contracted output in like 2 weeks (hence all the post-humous stuff). I don't think he gave much of a fuck.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!