Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    EPM fucking D, yo'.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Facewon wrote:
    Got it yet?

Not yet, it may have arrived at work, got parcels waiting for me (I'm off until the 22nd now, unless I go in on Saturday).
  • Cool. Listened to it again over the last few days. Such an absolute cracker of an album. And so pertinent to the society's ills thread.

BA appears on the latest Hilltop Hoods album too.

Album is called Walking Under Stars.

They've been the biggest and most successful hip hop act to come out of oz ever, but I've never been that into them, could always see the quality, but wasn't really my bag, and all the singles I ever heard were serviceable as opposed to mindblowing.

This new album though, woah. Have hammered it since friday. Reckon I've listened to it 8-9 times already. Rock solid and impressive all the way through.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I've only heard one Hilltop Hoods track, which I was quite into for a few weeks.  Nosebleed Section maybe?  Distinctly remember that it had a cracking sample, wasn't overly keen on the vocals.  Any good?
  • yeah, that would have been the one. that was their real breakout track.

I'm no expert on their early stuff, as noted, have only ever heard bits of the odd track, and like you, never really got on with the vocals, while still hearing that they weren't shit, just not quite my thing. (Plus, I knew too many dudes who were well into the scene and they're pretty much the most universally respected group going round.)

I will say that this new one has won me over. The vocals are actually a highlight. Credit to them, you can hear the 10+ years of actually working at their craft. They do some amazing stuff with the vocal production, and overdubs, and even their rapped choruses have some really clever catchy in tune hooks. The title track's chorus is sooo clever.

I'll be revisiting older stuff on the strength of this, but would 100% recommend this last album straight up.

Been a cracking year for ozzie hip hop, tbh.

I've mentioned most of the albums in this thread, but to recap, in some sort of order:

1/2 Hilltop Hoods - Walking Under Stars and Joelistics - Blue Volume (Album before, Voyager, is also awesome.)
    3 Mantra - Speaking Volumes
    4 N'fa Jones - Black + White Noise

Actually a nice varied bunch.

meanwhile, international, looking back through what I've been digging this year:

Pharoahe Monch - PTSD
    The Roots last one
    Apollo Brown's instrumental thing.
    All the Kendrick Mixtape things
    Revisiting PE's Muse Sick-N-Hour Mess Age
    Copywrite and Surok - Murderland
    Common's newie is Meh.
    Prodigy and Alchemist would be killer if Prodigy wasn't such an annoying, nasty prick.
    Anything by Black Milk
    Talib kweli prisoner of Conciousness and the rainbow one.
    Sean Price Mic Tyson

I realise there's some old stuff in there.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Just noticed this is on after the golf finishes on 5live: 

40 Years of Hip-Hop. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04f25d7

Dotun Adebayo presents a special programme live from New York looking at 40 years of Hip Hop. Guests include Rakim, Afrika Bambaataa, Monie Love, Fab 5 Freddy, Marley Mark, Joel Ortiz, Too Short, Dead Prez, Krit, Kurtis Blow, Swiss from So Solid Crew, Octopizzo and Jin as they examine Hip Hop's history and its influence on the world.

Might be worth a listen on the iPlayer.
  • Just checked who was doing the vox on hilltop's album. thought I recognised the singers.

used maverick sabre on a handful and Dan Sultan on another. That's freakin awesome. Dan Sultan has one of the best voices in the country.
  • Birdorf wrote:
    Just noticed this is on after the golf finishes on 5live:  40 Years of Hip-Hop. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04f25d7

How long do these things usually take to appear on iplayer?  I've tried three times now and it's still not ready.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message

Aesop Rock is loco...
  • Mourning in America has arrived. Lovely packaging, comes with a giant flag.
  • Nice.
    Facewon wrote:
    I'm no expert on their early stuff, as noted, have only ever heard bits of the odd track, and like you, never really got on with the vocals, while still hearing that they weren't shit, just not quite my thing. (Plus, I knew too many dudes who were well into the scene and they're pretty much the most universally respected group going round.)

I will say that this new one has won me over. The vocals are actually a highlight. Credit to them, you can hear the 10+ years of actually working at their craft. They do some amazing stuff with the vocal production, and overdubs, and even their rapped choruses have some really clever catchy in tune hooks. The title track's chorus is sooo clever.

I'll be revisiting older stuff on the strength of this, but would 100% recommend this last album straight up.

So have since been back to listen to more.

Summation: Older stuff is alright in a hyped up straight forward hip hop sort of way. They have a track with a guest spot from P monch and another from the deep voiced dude from J5. But it's all still not really that amazing. Some of it's good, some of it is samey, some of it is just meh.

However, I stand by the last album even more. It is simply amazing. Album of the year, overall, contender.

Been back on MM2 as well. Eminem really is in another league to most MCs. Insane. have written already about all the possible reservations, but holy shit, raw rhyming ability and flows, fuck me.

On the strength of all the Oz hip hop I mentioned above, I branched out and tried a few other acts that I knew by name but not by material. The drop off in quality is precipitous.

• Also: New Statik Selektah is good.

• Just bought (CASHMONIES) all of El-P's cd's. Brilliant stuff.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • I'll sleep when you're dead is a great album, might give it a listen on my way to work tomorrow.

Has he done anything worth checking out since?
  • Watched an awesome interview with Talib Kweli and Rosa Clemente while they were in Ferguson. Will post a link later.

Awesome interview, awesome MC, awesome dude. (And some of the stuff they say talking about what they experienced from the cops is staggering.)

• El-P's album with Killer Mike : Run The Jewels is insanely brilliant. A Christmas Fucking Miracle may be one of the best songs I've ever heard.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Wot

• three1ne wrote:
    El-P's album with Killer Mike : Run The Jewels is insanely brilliant. A Christmas Fucking Miracle may be one of the best songs I've ever heard.
    Of course it's not on Rdio in oz yet. Still, this post made me go back to cancer for cure. It's nice. Funny I haven't kept tabs on el-p considering I was a fan early. Even have an autographed first class of, fuck I have forgotten the groups name. Ffs.
  • Company Flow?
  • Thanks. Yes.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    This is awesome. Even if you don't like rap / hip hop.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_QcLOtFJOUgNxURr8B4lNtf_3e9fWZzl
  • Awesome.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Illmind's goes hard.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Hip hop doing that thing, yo'.

One song at a time...

• I was gaga for j-zone at the turn of the century. Those first two EPs were like nothing else. Dude has a unique rhythm for sure.

I got his book a couple of years ago for Christmas, is an interesting snap shot of an independent rapper's lifestyle.
  • All I remember about him is seeing him at revolver one night & the crowd spending the break between the first 5 songs telling him he was in Melbourne, not Adelaide.
  • moot; Tell me how awesome mourning in america is.

Also, Talib Kweli Gravitas has hit rdio.

It's typically rock fucking solid. Dude just releases quality record after quality record these days.
  • Royce, why are your albums so shit, when your rhymes are so awesome?
  • Facewon wrote:
    moot; Tell me how awesome mourning in america is.

Yes indeed.  Better than Us, probably, I need to seek out more.  Stop the Press is my track so far.  I like picking and choosing acclaimed hip hop albums, dabbling here and there but not immersing myself in a particular artist for months like I do with country/singer-songwriters - I tend to go for 'a smattering' of anyone's output.  This guy seems worthy of undivided attention.

I started what I called 'The Big Rap Project' a few years ago at work, where I listened to a highly regarded album per day and gave it a score out of ten.  Would anyone be interested in telling me how massively wrong I was if I upload the notepad photos, or at least which albums need further attention?  I got to 30 or so albums before I moved on iirc.  I may have mentioned or uploaded them before, my memory is awful.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!