Indie Fancies
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    [Thing is, unlike music and much like film, the more money you pump into the creation of a game, the better it will potentially be...

Sorry - but that is tosh. Pouring time into something - yes - I can see that - for gameplay polishing. But pouring money into something correlating with quality of product? I find that cause and effect connection highly tenuous. If anything an embarrasment of riches will ultimately steer game design to the conservative due to risk aversion - good for "OK" games I suppose.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Time is money... Especially in the tech industry. 

And though art is a large component of game design, not many people will shell out for a new Commodore 64 title, not matter how cool it is.

That doesn't fully counter your point, but then look at the tools indie games are created with... They either cost shit loads to buy officially, or they're open source, have very little documentation. Or a very small community of expert practitioners, and consequently take a lot of time to learn (or reduce the opportunity to collaborate with other designers).

Similarly, with film, the best equipment is often outrageously expensive and extremely complicated... That's not to say you can't produce great work without top kit... But your audience will generally be wary of the difference, especially if the prices are similar.

But again, that's not at all the case with music. Or literature... But then literature is subject to a completely different set of rules (it's very hard to localise a song, right?). That said, you can bet that a book written over a 5 year period will perhaps mean more to you than a copy of 50 Shades...

I can accept that my argument is a little shaky, but there is a correlation.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Anyway... I should really put this in the browser game thread, but I feel as though I've derailed this thread a little. So to assuage my guilt...

http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/pizzawizard/18356/

Weird concept, but the controls are great, and it works well.
    The music is epic!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Time is money...

True.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • It seems like Indie Games, like indie music, lives largely in the world of social media. You find stuff in tweets from developers and mentions on facebook pages of friends of the guy who met the programmer from that game. It's tough because there's so many new indie games being made and released and so they come and go. I think you have to be pretty lucky and persistent to get your game onto the main websites and reach the larger audience. Or know the right people.

I like the kickstarter page for Paradise Lost it has a lot of nice animations.
  • http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/marketing-dumb-luck-and-popping-of.html

A choice section:
    This is the problem with so many indie devs cozying up to the Escapist and Kotaku and the PA Report. There is a flood of new titles, so many that Humble Bundle sells them in Costco-sized bundles of a dozen for a dollar. A lot of good titles won't ever get that press. They just can't. There's not room.

And that's just for the flashy titles (the "AAA Indies"). My turn-based, low-budget, word-heavy RPGs are a lot of fun and have a real audience, but nobody at Kotaku gives a crap about them, nor should they. Why would a Let's Play channel on YouTube want to do one of my games? It'd be like putting up a movie of someone reading a book. Alexander Bruce's marketing path is useless to me, but my business is still valid. Has been for 20 years.

Also, the gaming community doesn't care about indies as much as we like to think they do. (Minecraft is an ultra-mega-uber hit, right? Well, Grand Theft Auto V made more than it in like 18 seconds.) The gaming press knows that gamers only want to hear about so many indies. Soon, they'll start picking who lives and who dies.

The point? Any article about marketing indies that doesn't mention the word "luck" is lying to you.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I really like the look of Paradise Lost, but the Kickstarter campaign puts me off...
    That's part of the problem with the current state of the indie scene for me...

I want to see more creative efforts to entice me.

Why are people begging for money on products that may well turn out to be shit, or incomplete? Not that Paradise Lost will turn out that way (on the contrary, it looks brilliant), but this "Hgnnn!!! Kickstart me!!!" trend needs stomping out.

That watch thing? Great! The Ubuntu "desktop" phone? Mental.
    Some Frogger reboot though, or a documentarty about the history of wellies?

Fuck right off...

Please excuse the rant.

Fentonizer wrote:
    http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/marketing-dumb-luck-and-popping-of.html A choice section:
    This is the problem with so many indie devs cozying up to the Escapist and Kotaku and the PA Report. There is a flood of new titles, so many that Humble Bundle sells them in Costco-sized bundles of a dozen for a dollar. A lot of good titles won't ever get that press. They just can't. There's not room. And that's just for the flashy titles (the "AAA Indies"). My turn-based, low-budget, word-heavy RPGs are a lot of fun and have a real audience, but nobody at Kotaku gives a crap about them, nor should they. Why would a Let's Play channel on YouTube want to do one of my games? It'd be like putting up a movie of someone reading a book. Alexander Bruce's marketing path is useless to me, but my business is still valid. Has been for 20 years. Also, the gaming community doesn't care about indies as much as we like to think they do. (Minecraft is an ultra-mega-uber hit, right? Well, Grand Theft Auto V made more than it in like 18 seconds.) The gaming press knows that gamers only want to hear about so many indies. Soon, they'll start picking who lives and who dies. The point? Any article about marketing indies that doesn't mention the word "luck" is lying to you.

That's what I was getting at.

Given what we're accustomed to, most indie games are shite...
    Except for this one...

Another free download. 

This one is admittedly incomplete, but it's a stunning Tenchu reboot.
    Runs like soggy treacle on my machine, unfortunately...
  • Yeah there is a silly kickstarter rush thing these days. I don't mind the "help us get through this last part" type of campaign as you can see what they're doing and that they've put in the majority of the work but there's too many "look at our concept video give us money" campaigns. Like that riot game recently where their kickstarter was about getting money to travel to places to research riots and get "first hand accounts". Fuck off cunts, you don't need that to make your game. They only had a pixel graphics concept video too which proved nothing. They got their money in like a few days.

That blog post is a good'un, lots of true words. I still am not a fan of Bruce, he's a fuckwad. Made a pretty game but damn did he drag it through the ringer over those 5 or 6 years he was working on it. I met him a few times seeing as he's Melbourne based and he's just so far up his own ass. I couldn't believe he was showing it at PaxAus this year when there would be plenty of up and coming devs who could do with that space. It's out already dude, it sold a fuck-tonne, let it go.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Has no-one yet tried Path of Shadows?

It's amazing. Better than most commercial products...
  • Continue?9876543210 sounds like it could be interesting.
    You are a dead, failed video game character wandering through the recesses of the Random Access Memory, trying to find peace in the final moments of your existence before being deleted forever...

http://continue9876543210.com/about.html

It's by the guy who did Skrillex Quest, if you've come across that. Well, it's still by him if you haven't, but you know what I mean.
  • Ah, Edge wrote an article on this game a while back when there was hardly any info about. Looks interesting.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Trying to remember the name of an indie game that had a trailer out last year. Style was a 3D glitched version of Tron. I think the idea was to hack computers.

I genuinely cant remember anything more than that.

Any help?
  • Only thing that comes to mind is Continue?9876543210 but that's not really much like you describe.
  • Just watched that in the indie thread. Not the game I am thinking of. It's 1st person. In the demo I think the player went over to a computer screen (big 80s style green text on black and being able to type on it.
  • Quadrilateral Cowboy?

You're excited about it in that thread anyway.
  • Haha, yep, thats the one. High fives.

Thanks.
  • That looks glitched to you? Well I never.
  • No, not quite as I remember it. But the style of it features no backgrounds/flat textures. Etc. Dont know how to describe it exactly.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Yeah I was angling on teleglitch until the computers brought up- actually the only thing that took me into the games index yesterday was the Quad Cow thread. Turns out I started it so didn't need the index really, durh.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • three1ne wrote:
    No, not quite as I remember it. But the style of it features no backgrounds/flat textures. Etc. Dont know how to describe it exactly.

I'd describe it as looking like Valves place-holder textures or, at a push, a low-fi version of System Shock 2's VR.
  • NaissanceE is well worth a look. The visuals and atmosphere are superb. The design is very minimal, with what seems like a single texture being used on flat geometry. 
    Only problem is the gameplay is a little frustrating.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I keep thinking this thread is about those Mr. Kipling cakes but it isn't.
  • I still can't get past the start of Mirrormoon EP.  It blows my mind, I'm sure without a manual I worked out how to complete Tau Ceti way back when, which it reminds me of.
  • I've literally just been playing that. It is pretty confusing, but it's starting to make sense. I've done side A, but haven't named any planets yet. I still don't really know what I'm doing, but it seems to mostly be about lining things up.
  • Spoiler:
    The lack of knowing is quite refreshing in today's over-tutorialised gaming world.
  • Yeah, half the fun's figuring out what you're meant to be doing. Been enjoying poking the spaceship to figure out how it works, too.
  • Monument Valley Looks Stunning
    http://www.monumentvalleygame.com/
  • Holy shit, that's beautiful!
  • Too much of an early '00s Flash game vibe, for me.
  • Nah I think it looks amazing. Quite Fez-like

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!