Anime and Manga
  • I bought the Hong Kong version of Summer Wars on DVD as it was cheaper than the Japan version, it has 2 lots of subtitles burnt in, completely unwatchable.  Nice case though :p
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Haha.
    Oddly, I like Summer Wars. Distinctly Japanese, but in a good way.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • I wish that had spent more time on the family dynamics, much more interesting than the science-fiction thing.

That stated I just finished rewatching Bubblegum Crisis, with all its blatant ripping of Bladerunner. Still, a good show, well paced, decent animation for the period. Titles remain attractively minimalist, and I'd have real difficulty resisting an IRL woman with this hairdo:

img_b.aspx?ImageID=404174&Pass=

Bangs like woah. Gratuitous shower-tits of course, but nothing like the pandering wretchedness one could expect of J-toons today.
  • I had a bit of a crush on Priss.
  • Oh, and I gave up on Real Drive. Boring.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Sonoda's character designs are awesome. Gunsmith Cats is usually a sure fire one to love if you like BGC of which I still remember being mid teens and watching late night on sci-fi in a darkened living room on thursdays I think it was. That, Macross Plus and Venus Wars.

Oh, and I gave up on Real Drive. Boring.
    It is, isn't it. I've given up on Shirow producing anything of real note now in any form.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Time to get some Priss + Replicants in this shit.

• VENUS WARS, YES! Awesome movie that, haven't seen it since my old VCR packed up though. Should check Amazon for prices. And yeah, I remember Gunsmith Cats being full of win.

I'm re-reading Appleseed (alongside the second volume of Nausicaa from my lovely box set) to help get over the disappointment of Real Drive, and the subsequent acceptance that Shirow is a lost cause. It's working.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Have you got Hypernotes? Very much worth a read if you like Appleseed. Took fucking ages to get a definitive english language edition.

Finished watching all of Baccano last night. That's a weirdly violent one. Structurally I think it goes all over the place and for the brief time it manages to keep a central arc going it's much better for it. There's at least 3 psychopaths (one an ex-circus trapezist) who love to philosophise to eachother before going at it and that wore a bit grating halfway through but hell, it was fairly fun and only 16 episodes. The dubbing isn't too bad either.
  • Yeah, I've read both the Databook and Hypernotes, great stuff.  The sheer level of detail he goes into at times is nothing short of bewildering.  Will definitely go through them again once I've finished the main books.

Also, loved Baccano.  Took three attempts to get into it though.
  • Nearly up to date on Dorohedoro, I'm up to a point where all the charm has gone. The sense of humour has diappeared and now there's only despair and a sense the artist/writer is trying to gross me out.
    I've come too far to quit now, but I'm not enjoying it as much as I was.
  • Another shout out to Venus Wars, I loved that as a kid. Was it ever released on DVD/Blu Ray?

I want to hunt down Megazone 23 as well, or whatever it was called. Anyone remember that?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Venus Wars didn't get a UK DVD release it seems. I've ordered a region 1 copy from Amazon for about a tenner inc postage, delivery is up to three weeks though.
  • Started watching Space Bro's last night with the wife.  3 episodes in & it seems to be a show that has it all.  Really enjoyed its range.  We shall continue.

Also more love for Venus Wars.  Got me thinking, that when I showed my eldest lad my comic book chest, I did not clock my Dark Horse Venus Wars comics.  Next I time I visit the parents, gonna have to raid their loft.
  • hylian elf wrote:
    I want to hunt down Megazone 23 as well, or whatever it was called. Anyone remember that?

It was called that and yes I do. I remember it being okayish, recorded it on VHS off Sci fi channel waaaay back in the day. Tape is long gone though, soz.

Anyway this thread needs more classic 90s anime and less of the new pussy ass anime of today so i will mention DETONATOR ORGUN.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • cindemon wrote:
    Started watching Space Bro's last night with the wife.  3 episodes in & it seems to be a show that has it all.  Really enjoyed its range.  We shall continue. Also more love for Venus Wars.  Got me thinking, that when I showed my eldest lad my comic book chest, I did not clock my Dark Horse Venus Wars comics.  Next I time I visit the parents, gonna have to raid their loft.

I should get back to Space Bros, loved what I watched.  I don't have as fond memories of the Venus Wars manga as I do of the movie, it's been a long time since I read it though. 

Roujin wrote:
    It was called that and yes I do. I remember it being okayish, recorded it on VHS off Sci fi channel waaaay back in the day. Tape is long gone though, soz. Anyway this thread needs more classic 90s anime and less of the new pussy ass anime of today so i will mention DETONATOR ORGUN.

Only ever caught the first OAV, good stuff though.  Seems they're all on YouTube, will watch them over the weekend. 

Some stuff I was watching back in the 90s... 

• Space Bros something I have to buy? Or is there somewhere I can DL or watch them?
  • You can stream Space Bros at >>Anime Fushigi<< or >>Crunchyroll<< Sas.
  • I had no idea there was a series for detontor orgun. I've only ever seen the movie/oav thing. Which is boss. And has lots of people shouting OOOOORRRRRRGGGGGUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNN!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • There's only three of 'em unfortunately (all around 45-50 mins long), but by a stroke of luck some guy uploaded them to YouTube yesterday.  You should find them all >>here<<.
  • Sweet!  The dude's also got Madhouse's entire four episode run of Nightwarriors: Darkstalker's Revenge on there.

• Cheers Stormy
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    cheers guys im gonna get started on these tonight.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • A new anime that's gettin' some serious love on the forums / streaming sites is Attack On Titan.  What's left of the humans race vs man eating giants, put incredibly simply.  Only watched the first episode as of yet and I'm not entirely sure what to think, though I did find the ending quite unsettling tbh.  Check it out at >>Crunchyroll<<.

• Ohh I've seen pictures/memorabilia of the skinless giant around town for a while now, never bothered to look into the source. I might now.
  • Just finished episode five of Attack On Titan.  The previous two eps had all been about training and had led me to assume I knew exactly the type of show this would turn out to be.  WRONG.  Should have paid more attention to the tone of the first episode, there's some dark stuff here.

The action scenes are well done, and there have been hints towards intrigue that I hope gets developed.  As far as it looks, the background art is frequently lovely but the animation can at times be rudimentary, although this is mostly during the dialogue heavy scenes. Will definitely keep watching for now.

The whole giants eating people thing is really freaking me out though, those glazed eyes and fixed grins... just fucking horrible.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Do any of you anime fans have netflix? I've scanned through the anime section (UK & US versions) but nothing really grabbed my attention and I can't be bothered googling all of them to find out if they're good.

So basically, any recommendations from the netflix catalogue would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has Neon Genesis Evangelion they'd be willing to lend a fellow badger, I'd love you forever.
  • Eden if the East is supposed to be worth a watch, not looked myself yet though despite owning the DVD.
  • Dun't got no netflix but I'm sure I remember reading that they have Shigurui: Death Frenzy on there.  Somethin' I really should get round to watching given my love of old school blood soaked samurai movies.

Vid is pretty graphic...

• Shigurui the manga is a thing I've been meaning to more than glance at since I tangled with the fairly batshit Apocalypse Zero/Kakugo no Susume, same draughtsman. Hilariously sinuous.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!