No Man's Sky
  • I'm fully gripped thanks. I wouldn't take my dramatic hyperbole too seriously.
  • He's clearly a talented programmer with vision and ambition and the game wouldn't exist without him. It'd be a shame if he took all the constructive criticism/death threats to heart, we've enough grey shooters already.

The parallels with Molyneux are interesting, he's easy to demonise now but there was a time when Bullfrog were ambitious developers creating classics like Populous, Syndicate and Theme Park.
  • Yeah, the world is a better place for these sorts of nutbaskets tinkering away at their big dreams. The onus should be on their publishers to nurture their visions and temper expectations though.
    Time and again these guy are just let loose to jabber the sort of bollocks that is inevitably their undoing. You'd think pubs would care more about their investments rather than just risk a quick buck followed by fiery death.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Pootling is great, if you enjoy a pootle you'll enjoy this.

Nobody is allowed to use the word hyperbole around here, since I learned its correct pronunciation it upsets me greatly.

I don't think it's fair to call him a deluded nutjob either. He is a gobshite though.
  • I really just think he's a bloke who got a bit ahead of himself in terms of planning and release schedules and stuff and didn't have it in him to publically pull back from some of his previous statements when the hype took on a life of its own, so he just kept telling people what they wanted to hear.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The new Molyneux
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I loves me a stellar pootle. I look forward to coming back to it at some point next year. And Sean's alright, he just announced his game way way too early.
    Get schwifty.
  • TBH, seeing a lot of the timescales for green light/early access games, he wasn't way off - what screwed the pooch for the timing was Sony and the other big publishers getting interested and escalating the scope of what would have been a fantastic indie game into an attempted AAA boxed title. Live and learn, eh. I'd warrant that Hello Games' next will scale back to mid-to-large size indie (Firewatch or The Witness kind of scope).
  • Joe Danger's Sky
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Joe Danger's Sky

Would play
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Joey Dangerous & Skye
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • monkey wrote:
    Although even then I think there's limits with how much you can do with an exploration game that destroys the environment you've discovered as soon as you leave it
    It categorically does not do that.
  • It definitely did during one of the early dev videos. They may have changed it though. Can you leave some sort of marker to find your way back?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Yes
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I recently travelled back through a couple of systems that weren't waypointed and everything was still there too
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • That's better and more impressive than I thought then.
  • And to balance out my comments which have just been me shitting all over this game, they have completely nailed the procedural environment generation. There's nothing there to tell you this wasn't hand crafted. I really hope they licence this out or its replicated by other companies. Not just to make procedural games but to increase game world sizes in standard games. 

If you can input the parameters you want, and generate an planet sized environment of this quality, you can tweak it after, add in hand-made bits. I think that would be a huge change to the pipeline. Even if it just leads to eg having a hundred arenas in a shooter rather than 10.
  • There is massive scope for improvement in the planet generation. Hello are working hard though. Didnt the foundation update add rivers I think?
    I really hope the fix the night sky(ies) in a coming release and have actual dark space.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Would ocean trenches and mountainous ravines be too much to ask for you think?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    This has just received its second big content update which includes land vehicles along with lots of other little improvements and additions and, more importantly, new soundscapes from 65daysofstatic.

It's not really enough for me to return as this year's chockablock with shiny new games, but I do look forward to coming back to it at some point.
    Get schwifty.
  • I had a little dabble a few days ago. The base building felt shit and pointless.

I do think this game did some real cool stuff and that opening hour was amazing... but I'm only really keeping it because I like the cover art more than is warranted.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    They need to license the tech to someone that can make a fun game with it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It's a shame you can't sell on digital purchases as I'd pay someone ten quid to have mine
  • I wouldn't play this game again even if someone offered to pay me a tenner to do so.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map

• Tazzing about in the fast car looks kinda fun (not sure why you'd do it if you've got a spaceship, mind). The big truck thing that you can mine while driving is probably more useful. New base stuff looks nice as well. It mentions that damaged ships will crash in survival mode as well now, so maybe that means you can do the ship upgrade loop by shooting up the NPCs, downing their ships and nicking them? That might be fun an all.

Nice to see they're sticking with it and providing these free updates.
  • All i see is needlessly complicated tyres.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • They look like Goodyear's sphere tyres.
  • Races? That's as far away from the majesty of space as you can get. Think I've had my fill.
    IMG-7760b.jpg
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It was the one thing that stuck out to me as a weird, thematic departure over what has come before. I don't like it either, and if they continue down that route then I may be out too.
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!