is surface any good?
  • Will hopefully hav mine in a week or so, ill let toy know if it lives up to its billing as a good mid range hybrid.
    SFV - reddave360
  • So, have the Asus T100 a couple of days now. Its a nifty budget range laptop / tablet hybrid and seems to run along at a nifty pace. The keyboard is small and probably not something you would want to use for an extended length of time but for about an hours worth of typing I reckon its fine. Wouldnt classify it as a games machine but it does run emulator software (snes / n64 / mame) pretty well and the usb slot on the keyboard dock will take a 360 wired joypad no problem. 

All in all, a great fit for what I needed and the touch screen aspect actually shows that windows 8 isnt the git I thought it was. If they can get more apps in that are, you know, useful it has the potential to be a great tablet / phone system. As it is, not being tied to the RT version is a god-send because you can get everything you need as normal windows. For example I am typing this on the Asus now using Google Chrome in desktop mode. 

Only 2 complaints I would have is that it isnt as light as you might like (tablet or keyboard) and that the touch pad is a bit gick. But again, there is a usb for a mouse and blue tooth as well. Well worth the €340.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Cool. I'm fairly sold on getting one of these over a surface now.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • My friend has a surface and loves it. It's a proper cintiq drawing tablet too rev which you may want to consider. He played through Blands 2 on it as well.
  • if you have the cash the surface pro 2 set-up with a keyboard is the best set-up. Gorgeous screen, really nippy performance and a better keyboard. That said, you are paying for it - a surface pro 2 with keyboard will set you back €1000 versus a bit under €400 under the asus. If money was no object I would have gone for the surface pro 2 but as a budget buy I am delighted with the asus.
    SFV - reddave360
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    When I see it all set up, S2, I am sold. When I consider the multitude of peripherals and what I am using it for and the idea of setting it up and taking it all down again, I'm kinda like "should've bought a lappy/desktop".
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Can you use VPN on a surface?
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-gb/support/networking-and-connectivity/connect-to-a-vpn

Yeppers.

Dunno how it copes with SecureID though or having to install 3rdparty apps though as no experience.

I run putty to connect securely to my work shiz. [edit- so it deffo works with that.]
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Surface's are good for leveling a wonky table too
  • Yeah, I remember seeing those first time round and having a good chuckle.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Oldies but goldies.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!