The hiding from an alien in a locker thread
  • I've got this pre-loaded and ready to go on Steam but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to bring myself to play it.

I'm so fucking bad with jump scares, atmosphere, etc. Like, I can barely play the original Resi Evil/Silent Hill games because of the amount of stress I cause myself.

I might need to play this with the lights on and sound down...
  • google wrote:
    I've got this pre-loaded and ready to go on Steam but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to bring myself to play it. I'm so fucking bad with jump scares, atmosphere, etc. Like, I can barely play the original Resi Evil/Silent Hill games because of the amount of stress I cause myself. I might need to play this with the lights on and sound down...

I'm normally like this with scary games.  I just couldn't be arsed with ploughing through outlast after what it did to me in the first ten minutes. PT really unsettled me as well.  Somehow though this is different.  It feels more contrived and therefore less scary with the early game and the human/android set ups.  The Alien stuff though feels so much more organic that it gives me a different kind of shittedupness. You don't feel as manipulated as you just don't seem to be able to second guess what's coming. I mean it's stressful as fuck but it somehow feels less unpleasant?
  • I get that. Alien is one of my favourite films because it feels less like I'm being fucked with and more like an organic experience. I can believe what's going on instead of "OH SHIT THE GUY IS FLYIGN THROUGH THE DOOR SCARY"

I'm looking forward to it - I FUCKING LOVE ALIEN
  • I think i'll try vr this later tonight
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Makes me want a PS4

Yeah really can't afford it but i'm thinking i'll have to...
  • Am I the only one who liked Colonial Marines?

It had loads of fan service and was proper scary when you turned off the HUD and used the scanner properly.

Beep
    Beep
    Beep----Beep----Beep---Beep---Beep--Beep-Beep

"I'm tellin' ya man I'm reading it right."

Remember g.man, "Check those corners, check those corners..."
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Someone post that gif

The gif of the alien walking right past?

Thankfully I didn't get it until months after release and it had been patched by then, so the AI worked much better.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I bought Colonial Marines a few months ago for a fiver, it got 90 minutes before I had to go vomit my absolute disgust up.

I'm yarring this now, prob won't work on my laptop (specs are above everything I have ayo!) but I'm intrigued. If I can get 20-odd FPS I'm happy.
  • It's just a brilliant bit of videogaming, that.
  • Terrifying game this, proper shit your pants scary. Really like what they've done with the Alien in an aesthetic sense as well, though I'm not sure everyone will agree:

Spoiler:
  • Really struggling to play this as it's just fucking awfully scary...
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    DAMN THIS SHIT BE SCARY, YO.

For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    This shit better work so I can lol at you wimps.
  • LazyGunn wrote:
    I think i'll try vr this later tonight
    FYI, the retail game does not support OR. The portion that has been demoed with the Rift at trade shows is just a small section of the game that was built from the ground up for OR.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • What difficulty are you guys playing this on? I remember one of the reviews suggested not played it on the hardest option (which is apparently the difficulty recommended by the developers) due to it being frustratingly difficult.
  • g.man wrote:
    LazyGunn wrote:
    I think i'll try vr this later tonight
    FYI, the retail game does not support OR. The portion that has been demoed with the Rift at trade shows is just a small section of the game that was built from the ground up for OR.

We VR people have our tricks - most principally a selection of drivers that 'hijack' the graphics driver and insert vr functionality, its how i've been vr-ing a lot of games that dont directly support it, and the vr orientation typically replaces the mouselook. I'll look for an update to my usual method just in case it has been upgraded but i think the one i have will be fine. Anyone interested should look up Tridef Ignition, vorpx or vireio perception. Yaarghig game now so opinions will be forthcoming should i hijack it successfully
  • Scout wrote:
    What difficulty are you guys playing this on? I remember one of the reviews suggested not played it on the hardest option (which is apparently the difficulty recommended by the developers) due to it being frustratingly difficult.
    Playing on the default medium setting.
  • g.man wrote:
    Scout wrote:
    What difficulty are you guys playing this on? I remember one of the reviews suggested not played it on the hardest option (which is apparently the difficulty recommended by the developers) due to it being frustratingly difficult.
    Playing on the default medium setting.

Me too. It's tough enough.
  • So it's good? Mine should be here when I go home tonight.
  • Its good. Though I can't actually say I enjoy playing it...
  • Ali wrote:
    So it's good? Mine should be here when I go home tonight.

It is good. Sort of.

It's both astounding in a wow way and astounding in a when the fuck was that ever going to work way.

It's also the glitchiest linear game I've played in a long time.  Mainly with the android fellas but some weird npc stuff has happened as well. Weird as it's so polished in other areas.
  • Loaded up the PC version last night and played for 5 minutes to just see what's going on.

It feels a little...weightless from a control perspective. Did anyone else find that? Like everything is moving very quickly.
  • I just fired it up, and it seemed ok to me? Kinda surprised it even runs on my awful, awful PC as Titanfall didn't manage it, but I guess that comes down to it being developed over last gen consoles too - probably a good scaleable engine running.
  • google wrote:
    Loaded up the PC version last night and played for 5 minutes to just see what's going on. It feels a little...weightless from a control perspective. Did anyone else find that? Like everything is moving very quickly.
    Didn't get that feeling at all from the Bone version.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I just fired it up, and it seemed ok to me? Kinda surprised it even runs on my awful, awful PC as Titanfall didn't manage it, but I guess that comes down to it being developed over last gen consoles too - probably a good scaleable engine running.

Just booted it up myself and on IntelHD 4000 with i5-3337u 1.8ghz quadcore it runs very well on low settings. Solid 30fps, so game on!
  • Tempy wrote:
    I just fired it up, and it seemed ok to me? Kinda surprised it even runs on my awful, awful PC as Titanfall didn't manage it, but I guess that comes down to it being developed over last gen consoles too - probably a good scaleable engine running.

Yeah, the PC engine scales really very well - there is some great tech underneath the hood.

Graham man - it might just be my XBOX controller on the PC - it might not be as polished as the console versions.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Love the way it looks. Will get properly into this after I've eaten.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!