Film of the Year - And the winner is...
  • Secret Life of Walter Mitty was pretty good.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Not good enough to be a best of though.

Gravity, Django, Stoker, Mud, something else
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I really liked Rush.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • A bit of that movie was shot at my work. Got to meet Chris Hemsworth and the like.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Nice.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • So, anyone want to do some voting?

Up to a max of top 5, in order. Reasons for choices optional.
  • Seen very few films this year and a lot of those mentioned so far are on the list to watch. 

Seen pretty much every kids film release in the cinema though, and there's an awful lot of dirge out there - Planes, Justin the Knight and Smurfs 2 were particularly painful. 

Wouldn't say the crop of films I've seen have been that great but these 5 would be the best for varying reasons:-
    Robot & Frank (quirky with heart)
    Despicable Me 2 (Minion mayhem)
    The Act of Killing (Chilling)
    Gravity (Technically great)
    Cloud Atlas (Ambitious if flawed)
  • I'm currently going through quite a large backlog of films, haven't had a lot of time this year. Watched Prisoners, Wolf of Wall Street and 12 years a slave this week. Appreciate some of those are classed as 2014.

Prisoners I was especially impressed with though, exactly the kind of film I love. 

So far my top 3 are: 

Prisoners
    Gravity
    Django
  • Not been a big film watching year for me but these three were each great in their own ways, and get my votes, for this most obscure of awards.

1.Blue Jasmine
    2.Gravity
    3.Mud
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    My top 5 then

1. Gravity
    2. Django Unchained
    3. Captain Phillips
    4. Don Jon
    5. American Hustle

Not much to separate one and two there really. Gravity is a great film, an awesome cinematic experience and technically brilliant so it does stand out. There's a section towards the end of Django that I thought was unnecessary and just dragged it out a bit too long but it didn't affect my overall enjoyment of the film.

Captain Phillips I had almost written off as being predictable for some reason but it made me eat my inner monologue. Excellent work by Greengrass and Hanks.

Think I've seen a couple of the contenders for next year's Golden Badger already.
  • 1. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Walked a fine line between absurd and sentimental almost to perfection.
    2. Gravity - Absolutely stunning sense of being there - very disorientating. A few too many lucky saves though.
    3. Pacific Rim - Soundtrack is top, scale and heft of the robots is brilliant, but it dwindles a bit on repeat viewings.
    4. Anchorman 2 - insane. 93 degrees.
    5. Django Unchained - I think it went on a touch too long. Loved Dr Schulz's arrogance in general, and the Klan night-time scene. I think this will grow on me with repeat viewings.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Here's my top 5 of 2013 and my Twitter summaries:

1. Stoker – brilliant psychological thriller
    2. Mud – excellent coming-of-age drama
    3. Gravity – spectacular disaster experience
    4. The Place Beyond the Pines – gripping crime drama
    5. Prisoners – powerful abduction drama
  • jdanielp wrote:
    Here's my top 5 of 2013 and my Twitter summaries: 1. Stoker – brilliant psychological thriller 2. Mud – excellent coming-of-age drama 3. Gravity – spectacular disaster experience 4. The Place Beyond the Pines – gripping crime drama 5. Prisoners – powerful abduction drama

My list is quite similar to this.  I just finished watching Prisoners.  I'm up at 5am, but I'm glad it did it in one sitting.  Fantastic film.  I watched Stoker with a mate the other day but I think we did too much chatting, might watch it again.

My list, which I need to put in order tomorrow:

Mud
    Prisoners
    The Place Beyond the Pines
    Bullhead
    Gravity
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Her (Sublime.)
    Rush (Just good, time flew!)
    Django (Jamie Fox, nailed it.)
    Gravity (Just look at it! Acting too, Clooney is the perfect dick.)
    Filth (Hahahah, sick!)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Gravity - technically amazing and the first film I've enjoyed with Sandra Bullock in.

Rush - great story, great racing

Star Trek Into Darkness - still enjoying what JJ is doing with the franchise despite the ending

Hobbit 2 - much improved on the first one, just don't watch the HFR version

Trance - Boyle back to his roots with a great thriller and Dawson full frontal to top it off :-)
  • I'll start adding these up soon. And do my own final list.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    jdanielp wrote:
    Here's my top 5 of 2013 and my Twitter summaries: 1. Stoker – brilliant psychological thriller 2. Mud – excellent coming-of-age drama 3. Gravity – spectacular disaster experience 4. The Place Beyond the Pines – gripping crime drama 5. Prisoners – powerful abduction drama
    My list is quite similar to this.  I just finished watching Prisoners.  I'm up at 5am, but I'm glad it did it in one sitting.  Fantastic film.  I watched Stoker with a mate the other day but I think we did too much chatting, might watch it again. My list, which I need to put in order tomorrow: Mud Prisoners The Place Beyond the Pines Bullhead Gravity

ooh, good choices! I didn't see Bullhead – will have to catch that at some point...
  • 1. The Place Beyond the Pines
    2. Prisoners
    3. Mud
    4. Django Unchained
    5. Gravity

A slight re-think after a chat in the pub last night.  I enjoyed Django immensely.  Gravity pips Bullhead for the viewing experience - I had to eat humble pie with my 'fuck 3D' stance.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    We could send the winner a bottle of this:

1024px-BadgerGoldenChampion.jpg
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • As if the pride of winning wasn't enough.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I wouldn't know.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Ok, I'm going with this order:

Stoker
    By some margin. Just thought it captured the relationship between different aspects of the psyche and the idea of psychosis in a really interesting way.
    Django
    Funny and entertaining, even though it probably loses momentum a bit after the opening part, and also just a refreshing take on films about US slavery
    American Hustle
    Just very well written, acted and directed, and entertaining.
    Side Effects
    Reminded me of a Hitchcock film (even in the sense of having at least one pretty dodgy plot hole), and went in a way I wasn't expecting.
    The Paperboy
    Again, not what I was expecting, and pretty dark in places with some fascinating characters.
  • Also, I'm adding up the votes so far.

@beano - Her doesn't count, it's not really out yet. I'll move your other choices up a spot for the time being.
  • So, 10 people's votes counted so far - all those who posted a list from 1st Feb onwards. Gravity is in the lead.

I'll leave it open for the rest of the month, if anyone fancies adding their 2p worth.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    But it was the best film of 2013!!!
  • Even the main US release wasn't 2013, and it's out in UK this week. Sorry old bean.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message

My list are movies that surprised me, one way or another.

1. Captain Phillips
    2. Gravity
    3. The Way, Way Back
    4. Django Unchained
    5. Oblivion

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • JonB wrote:
    Even the main US release wasn't 2013, and it's out in UK this week. Sorry old bean.

What if the film you want to vote for only got a limited theatrical release then?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!