Now eating/drinking
  • Nice. Although MOAR salt.

I have a different recipe for slightly more savoury cookies.

You have to excuse the Americanisms (and remember the oven temp is in ºF), this was written out for me by one of my awesome US housemates when I was leaving to move back to the UK. More than 20 years ago, ffs.

3cOLpR9.jpg
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That's a example of one of those things I can't measure in a cup without melting to liquid - butter. No idea how much a stick of it is either.
  • Yeah, but Google can give you conversions to proper measurements these days. It’s not a huge hassle. I mean, you’d need to ask what ‘shortening’ is anyway.
  • I always think of shortening as lard but a quick Google seems to suggest it is any fat solid at room temperature, so lard is a shortening but not all shortening.
  • I love lard. It's so cheap and makes the best bacon butties.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I keep meaning to try smash burgers with a bit of lard. It has a stupidly high smoke point.
  • Makes me think of burger vans at car boot sales.
    You will need some ketchup watered down with vinegar and a Tesco bag full of Battle Beasts.
  • I really like high vinegar ketchup on cheap food.
  • I just googled the smoke point of lard and it's high but not silly high, yet I've never seen it smoke.
  • It definitely has its place.
    Edit: the cheap ketchup
  • Every spring when the weather gets a bit warmer I treat myself to lamb roasted over potatoes. The smell makes the wait agonising.

tj6fmZ9.jpg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I stopped at the amazing Chinese supermarket at Longstone on my drive home from work yesterday and bought some of their char siu pork that's made in-house.
    Last night we had it simply with some sticky rice and pak choi, but does anyone have any good recipe ideas that use it?
  • Brothy soupy thing?
  • You can fill baozi with them, used sliced stuff on a noodle soup or, if you have a rice cooker, you can do a ready made pot rice dish with them. Can try to find a decent recipe if any of those take your fancy.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Soup thing sounds best - recipe pls
  • Don't have a recipe I'm afraid. Chinese food is a mystery but my pizza game is great. No knead dough with just 1/4 teaspoon of dried yeast but 24hr slow prove. Shape it into balls, leave for an hour while it puffs up again slightly and it is the most beautiful pizza dough. Done in a dry heavy frying pan and then under a wicked hot grill. It is light with a thin crisp shell and then chewy underneath. It really is top drawer.

I  might start a pizza thread.

hNuO7hl.jpg

Pizza 2.

m56eyT4.jpg
  • That does look above the norm for home-made pizza.
  • Yeah it's pretty good. It's very light, each pizza using probably about 120 grams of flour even though it's probs 12 inch (I eyeball it these days). Sarah and Charlie like it so much I'm required to make it once a weekend so I'm getting the practice in. It obvs doesn't have the wood smoke but the temps of base and grill are so high it tastes smoky regardless, or burnt as I like to call it. 

It looks robust but it eats really delicate. Maybe too delicate. It pops like bubble wrap when you shape the dough and isn't like any pizza I've had from most shops. Sarah and Charlie think it's the best thing but they don't appreciate the soupyness of the middle of a Paesanos pizza.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Please do a pizza thread. I still haven't attempted to make my own, but those look great. How thick are they?
  • The bit in the middle is pretty thin but the crust is relatively thick, but it's mainly just air.

This is what it looks like before adding the sauce.

i2LEl9T.jpg

I'll start a thread soon because they really are great and require very little work, but you absolutely have to do the dough 24hrs before.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I started doing the dough 24 hours in advance a while back and it makes quite a difference to the taste texture of the base as it ferments. I just do the pizza in the oven as usual though.
  • Those pizza's look immense SG!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Still after Cinty's char siu help - I've stuck it in the freezer
  • Try tthe hob grill method! Hosehold ovens just don't cut the mustard. Whack the grill on full. Put the dough like above into a cold pan and add the sauce but no cheese. Put it on full burner, it'll take about 2 mins on the stovetop. When it's nearly ready it'll unstick and will move around in the pan when you shake it. I use a pallette knife to have a look underneath and you might want to turn it 180 in the pan so it crisps up more evenly and prevents hotspots, but you want it to catch a little. You should start to smell a faint whiff of burning when it's ready.

Whck it under the hot grill for a minute, getting it as close to the heat as you can, then take it out turning it 180 ahain and add the mozz, stick it back it until you see some burnt spots on the crust, maybe 2 mins. It's important to add the cheese halfway or it'll be overdone.
  • My ovens grill is crap and you can't get a pan under it, sucks to be me.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    My grill is broken. Oven does a decent pizza though, so no bother.
  • Pizza always goes in the oven because making 4/5 pizzas individually would do my head in.
  • Buy a new one.
  • n0face wrote:
    Pizza always goes in the oven because making 4/5 pizzas individually would do my head in.

That's the downside, but they take less than 5 mins to cook. It's best when people are sitting at the kitchen table so you can still chat whilst you're doing it, and you have to just share as you go.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't have a kitchen table either.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!