Now eating/drinking
  • Hmmmm, that book looks good. I'm keen to try making some stuff after being there.

But for now I am doing God's work. Aka DS' work.

N8MlOCZ.jpg

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s like the contents of a hospital’s biohazard bin.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    SHABBA! Could you post a bigger image, I don't think the ISS can quite see it?
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Shabba is bossing life Yoss doesn't know, stick to your mushrooms and lettuce ya fanny
  • Shabba totally winning at life right there.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • SHABBA! Could you post a bigger image, I don't think the ISS can quite see it?

How else are you supposed to see all the delicious detail?

Plus I don't know how to upload smaller.
  • Kow wrote:
    I bought a pasta roller/cutter. It's surprisingly easy and cheap to make perfect pasta.

It's so easy you kinda get annoyed you've not done it before. I hardly bother kneading the dough these days, as long as it's stuck together in one piece I leave it as is. The most important bit is leaving it to rest but in cling film for half an hour. Then I just knead it properly by putting it through the rollers on the widest setting a few times and folding it up on itself in between rolls. I tend to use about 300g of flour and put half the dough ball through the machine at a time.

I'll mainy use two whole eggs if it's for lunch or a quick supper but if I'm going fancy I'll use one whole egg and about five yolks, and merengues for dessert.
  • Roujin wrote:
    First Alex French Guy now BA vids!? SG my man, pls tell me you also have a man crush on Brad Leone.

A little, but Matty Matheson would give you a proper cuddle afterwards and make a post-coitus
    cheese burger.
  • Oh a Matheson fan eh? I like his stuff but I actually feel like Brad would probably be a more tender lover, even if I'd have to put up with him asking Vinny what he thought halfway through.

I forget the name of the host but I also enjoy that pizza show where the guy talks about pizzas from somewhere for like 20 minutes straight.

Honestly YT is better than TV at cooking shows these days, imho. So much breadth and depth of knowledge all presented just as well as anything you'd see on TV.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Having previously converted to white wine on my Bolognese by Ramsey, I went renegade and red wine last night .

The result?
    A richer, tastier Bolognese that both myself and flora said was the business.

YMMV but I recommend red.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bear in mind I'm such a fucking nerd on my Bolognese, constantly refining it, trying non tomato ones (authentic but not as tasty) trying new combos of herbs (nutmeg - essential) so it's maybe me being pedantic, but it's one of my all time favourites.
  • I’ve always used red, but I’m not even remotely authentic with my sauces.
  • Reg I'm gonna make you my bolognese one day. So rich it belongs in an offshore tax haven.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Kazuo wrote:
    Reg I'm gonna make you my bolognese one day. So rich it belongs in an offshore tax haven.

We need a Bolognese-off
  • Always struggled to wrap my head around white in bolognese. 
    I guess it mixes with the veg to make a better stock on that side of things but red works so well with beef it seems a no brainer.
    Try Rose next reg, do it, make Italians cry.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You're on another planet mate but I'll try it
  • I have no idea if it will be good, probably awful, but at least you will have left over rosé which goes well with crying.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A níspero. Apparently they are called loquats in English. Never heard of them outside of Spain. They are a juicy sweet delight.
    nispero.jpg
  • Always struggled to wrap my head around white in bolognese.  I guess it mixes with the veg to make a better stock on that side of things but red works so well with beef it seems a no brainer. Try Rose next reg, do it, make Italians cry.

It's all the veal and pork. I have to say I'm partial to white in summer and adding milk and no tomato, except a bit of paste at the start. Reg is right though, red is what's called for this far north.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    A níspero. Apparently they are called loquats in English. Never heard of them outside of Spain. They are a juicy sweet delight.
    nispero.jpg

Do you eat the chocolate in the middle

• FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Do you eat the sheep poo in the middle?

• Roujin wrote:
    Honestly YT is better than TV at cooking shows these days, imho. So much breadth and depth of knowledge all presented just as well as anything you'd see on TV.

YT is ace for food and practical stuff. I got so sick of bad plumbers I turned to YT instead and fixed the bloody thing myself and it's still going strong. I've seen that pizza show and it's great. You would never see a show like that on tv - a NYC pizza guy going around Naples and Detroit and not being a prick about it. Saying that you'll not get Rick Stein on a YT channel quoting Homer's Odyssey while talking about kebabs, so there's room for the BBC TV too, but it's getting worse. Keith Floyd is still as good as anything in his pre-channel 5 days.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Nothing but dips tonight.

I have a patented black bean dip that is incredible. Served with pico de Gallo and homemade guacamole
  • Nobody outside France would cook this these days, which is a shame because it's so easy, but who sells trotters these days?

• poprock wrote:
    I’ve always used red, but I’m not even remotely authentic with my sauces.

You have to play around with a bolognese. I usually add lemon peel to mine and sometimes chorizo.
  • … who sells trotters these days?

Vincent’s, the lovely old butchers shop on Hyndland Street. You have to order in advance, give him a few days notice, but he’s happy to sell you pretty much any cuts you want. I used to buy whole sides of pig from him years ago and he let me help do the butchering, cutting it up into loin, ribs, etc. When I made bacon I used to take it back into him for slicing – he just took a few slices of it in payment.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You can also get them fairly easily at crombies or, more regularly, George Bowers, in Edinburgh . Bowers has a pig's head in the window daily and will do the snout or the ears off it for you if you want.
  • Skondo wrote:
    You have to play around with a bolognese. I usually add lemon peel to mine and sometimes chorizo.

Most of my pasta dishes are almagamations of how my various exes have made them. I’ve ended up nicking ideas from all of them, one way or another. The end results bear little relation to traditional Italian recipes but damn, they’re tasty.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Some interesting Bolognese additions -

Hot sauce, fennel seeds, chilli flakes, a tiny amount of onion powder.

Oddly I'm really fucking specific about my carbonara. Guanciale, egg yolks, parmesan, and cooking water.
  • I put Haribo in mine.
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!