Current Affairs
  • Has the bottom fallen out of the Funko Pops market?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Hopefully I can still get all the limited edition leaner Jonah Hill ones
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • g.man wrote:
    HMV poised to go into administration again. Time to spend those vouchers before they're worthless peeps!

Gav still working there?

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    No, he’s manhandling biowaste around a hospital.
  • Jaco wrote:
    Amazon (and other internet retailers, natch) really have done a number on the traditional high-street games/movies/music stores, haven't they? It's inevitable that they'll all disappear eventually, but I will miss them. I still much prefer to browse physical shelves. Although having said that, I rarely have the time these days, so end up just hitting the internet. ... Dammit, this is all my fault, isn't it?
    It's beyond that now. Lots of people have stopped using physical media altogether. I doubt if there's been a page worth of discussion about 4K blu ray, even though loads of people here have an xbox that'll play the things.
  • The high street is fucked and tens of thousands are going to lose their jobs with no replacement or provision in the works for them.
  • I'm not sure the high street is fucked but big department stores sure are and shops selling stuff that nobody wants anymore sure are and shops selling stuff that you can get off the internet and never need to look at to see if it's what you want sure are.

Businesses need to adapt, as always.
  • Aw no. They stock Criterion Blurays at same price as Amazon and you don’t have to worry about the case cracking in the post. I’ll be resigned to using even more Amazon than I already do.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I'm keeping well out of this, here. I'll just get annoyed and confrontational about it.
  • I was thinking earlier how nonsensical CDs and DVDs are in 2018, especially on the high street.

They take a relatively small amount of data, put it on a plastic disc in a plastic box then ship that half way round the world. Put it on a shelf and expect people to drive to the shop specifically for that item and charge up to double for it.

The alternative is a few clicks and then minutes/seconds depending on your connection.

Having CDs and DVDs as the bread and butter of a business model is a terminally ill model.

Edit: usual patter about staff, not their fault etc etc.
  • As for the High st.
    One problem as far as I can tell is they seem to use the pre-crash market as an average when in fact it was bloated and built on a foundation of pushing bad credit with store cards.

Post crash people wised up to it, didn't have the money and found new things to do with their time other than consume.

We shouldn't be talking about "saving the high street", why the fuck should we shed tears for companies run by the likes of that Cuntrag Phil Green.
    Our focus should be on how we utilise these spaces in ways that reflect what people want and that can also provide jobs for those left jobless.
  • The internet and streaming are shit for archiving media though, and we’re at the constant whim of these services. Netflix has been criticised frequently for its total lack of classic cinema, and there’s very little out there to cover those gaps. Perhaps it’s not good for business, but it’s good for a lot of people. Most Fopp and HMV stores will cover a vast library of stuff you can’t get on streaming services, and can’t guarantee you’ll be able to get online (think most foreign cinema). Pricing might be fucked, but unless you’re happy with everything you can get online, DVDs and CDs provide a function that digital media hasn’t caught up with.
  • I'd still rather have physical media than digital files you never really own, and that can be revoked at any time.

I moved over to digital for music a few years back, getting rid of a pretty huge CD collection at the same time. The space saved has been useful, but I wish I'd never done it, I'll be honest.

As for movies and games, I think I own about 400+ movies, and maybe 4 of those are digital. In regard to games - other than freebie GWG stuff, I only ever buy physical (if it's available). I can't see myself giving up physical media until I have absolutely no choice.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • It's horrifically inefficient though so it's dead as a business model.

Fopp with it's smaller footprint and focus on loyal customers stands a chance.
  • @Tempy
    Those many people are still very much a niche.
    You could probably run a small indie shop covering that in places like Edinburgh and London where there is a concentrated population of film buffs.
    Its a bit like indie bookstores. They can survive to serve that niche and are generally well loved by their patrons but they aren't ever going to be a big retailer that is known up and down the country.

@Jaco
    That's fine and there are others out there like you but you are a dying breed.
    It isn't only the format that is changing but consumption habits as well.
    Less and less are people sitting down to listen to an album start to finish. Movies and TV are becoming binge and bin affairs.
  • Tempy wrote:
    The internet and streaming are shit for archiving media though, and we’re at the constant whim of these services. Netflix has been criticised frequently for its total lack of classic cinema, and there’s very little out there to cover those gaps. Perhaps it’s not good for business, but it’s good for a lot of people. Most Fopp and HMV stores will cover a vast library of stuff you can’t get on streaming services, and can’t guarantee you’ll be able to get online (think most foreign cinema). Pricing might be fucked, but unless you’re happy with everything you can get online, DVDs and CDs provide a function that digital media hasn’t caught up with.

This.

Plus I like the extras like interviews, making of, deleted scenes etc. and the odd commentary track.  (Someone is about to tell me you can get that with streaming a movie and I've somehow missed it...)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • As a massive user of spotify too i’m not some neo-luddite, I just know that digital isn’t anywhere near ready to replace physical yet.

Also when I say the high street is fucked i’m talking about it from the perspective of the employment impact it will have, as I mentioned in my post. No one is planning around automation, and people may well die because of this. We’ve known it’s been coming since the 70s, even earlier, but no-one will do anything about it.

But it’s ok, May, Mogg, et al. Poor people deserve to die. We don’t deserve good mental health, or benefits, or anything really. We don’t even deserve decent housing if it effects land lords. Crush us in the fucking wheels, you massive Tory cunts, at least you greased your palms with Brexit.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Jaco wrote:
    I'd still rather have physical media than digital files you never really own, and that can be revoked at any time.

This is a bit of an oversimplification of what's going on.

You never actually own most physical media these days, you are granted a license to use it. Admittedly, it's much harder to revoke the license for a DVD or Blu-Ray than it is an iTunes Store purchase, but the ownership rights themselves are equivalent.

Also, it is quite possible to have digital files that can't be revoked. If you ripped your CDs before ditching them, those files aren't going anywhere.
  • The battle to provide a living during further automation requires a level of intelligent thought not provided by the likes of our current government.
  • I’m just so angry and exhausted these days. DVDs are good for people who don’t have the guarantee of internet, stable homing, a computer to stream on, credit cards, they’re good for schools and libraries. Fuck it all in the bin for profit. People are irrelevant. We’re sentient mulch,
  • Are they that good for those at the bottom though?
    Generally people are satisfied by an 8 pound a month Netflix subscription. A single DVD could cost double that.
    As for having to move, well fuck moving crates of DVDs every 6 months and having them take up space in ever shrinking living spaces.

We can talk about the needs and wants of individuals but if there was that much demand HMV wouldn't be fucked.
  • £8 plus internet, which tends to require stable living. This is cross purposes ‘cos I’m really only taking about physical media here, HMV doesn’t matter. Physical matters. It can be sold on, it can be kept, it can be swapped and traded, it is more convenient for poorer people, people in sheltered accommodation, young people, and so on. Digital is luxury, even my cheap ass spotify sub is reliant on hundred of pounds worth of technology.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I used to like collecting discs but fuck that noise now. I have a ton of blu rays I've never even watched and within a few years will probably have nothing to watch them on anyway. Give me digital any day, I don't care if I don't really own it. Why would I want to own something I'll probably only watch once anyway?
  • Tempy wrote:
    £8 plus internet, which tends to require stable living. This is cross purposes ‘cos I’m really only taking about physical media here, HMV doesn’t matter. Physical matters. It can be sold on, it can be kept, it can be swapped and traded, it is more convenient for poorer people, people in sheltered accommodation, young people, and so on. Digital is luxury, even my cheap ass spotify sub is reliant on hundred of pounds worth of technology.

I don't doubt that people in that situation exist or that a demise in physical wouldn't effect them but it's hard to see it as more than a very small niche.
    They also have little to no spending power, so even forgetting big business, share holder wankers, who is going to pay the operating costs?

There is probably a better solution to serve these people than continuing with physical releases. (Mainly not have an austerity government)
  • Like I say I was talking about physical vs digital, not HMV
  • Either way, printing DVDs is only economical en masse. Printing DVDs for a small amount people who swap, borrow and trade them for a pittance isn't sustainable, even without a store taking a cut.

A better solution would be for the likes of Netflix to offer hubs where people can download shows and films onto devices. It's already possible to download on Netflix. So a connection that throttled all other data or even a usb connection to a Redbox style vending hub could work.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Physical matters. It can be sold on, it can be kept, it can be swapped and traded, it is more convenient for poorer people, people in sheltered accommodation, young people, and so on.

This. Absolutely this. Also, the move to online/streaming means that your choices are limited and guided (especially younger people) by the marketing algorithms and interests of the big internet companies.

As a young wastrel, I discovered a wealth of cinematic treats via the local library and by browsing the shelves at my local Blockbuster. I doubt the same variety will be as easily accessible online as companies like Netflix are invested in pushing their own or certain types of content, depending on who their algorithms think you are.

Then there's the fact that I'd swap games/CDs/films I'd watched and wasn't fussed about keeping, or I'd trade them in / sell them. No way could I have afforded to consume as much media as I did otherwise.
    Tempy wrote:
    Digital is luxury, even my cheap ass spotify sub is reliant on hundred of pounds worth of technology.

Yeah, I've made this point before here. The gradual spread of content across multiple (paid-for) providers means it's actually costing us a lot more to consume media these days.

Back in the day, you bought your TV, a TV licence and that was that. You had access to everything, for free. If you wanted to watch a new film you'd go to the cinema or rent/buy a VHS/DVD. If you bought it, you could always trade it back in, swap it or sell it if you decided not to keep it. That way your overall outlay was actually relatively low.

Now, just to actually get started at home, you need good, stable fibre broadband, a decent computer / phone / tablet, a TV and a TV licence. Then there's the content (assuming you want access to everything, like we used to have). Anything half-decent isn't on free-to-air terrestrial these days, so you need a Netflix sub. Only they don't have all the decent stuff either, so you also need a Prime account, a Sky package and a Spotify sub. Oh yeah, and Apple Music. And soon you'll need a Disney sub if you want to access Disney, Marvel, Lucasfilm, Fox or Pixar content. Then there are all the other studios and media empires lining up to offer their content exclusively through subscription models. The supply of entertainment is becoming so fractured and expensive that soon it really will be almost impossible for the average household to have the kind of unfettered access we had in the 80s.

Not what I'd call progress.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Just steal it. Job done.
  • Oh yes, I sometimes forget that basic morality got dropped once we moved into the digital age...
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Either way, printing DVDs is only economical en masse. Printing DVDs for a small amount people who swap, borrow and trade them for a pittance isn't sustainable, even without a store taking a cut. A better solution would be for the likes of Netflix to offer hubs where people can download shows and films onto devices. It's already possible to download on Netflix. So a connection that throttled all other data or even a usb connection to a Redbox style vending hub could work.

Whilst I appreciate this as a potential utopian solution, it does very much sound like a Silicon Valley "we invented a communal system of route based transfer that you can pay for via an App on your phone that also works out the best route for you to take" aka "the bus" thing. These Hubs exist, and they're called libraries - something that would be saved by not having an austerity government like you said.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!