Current Affairs
  • Yeah, wish I'd never heard of backpilling.

Fucking hell.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Still, focus must be maintained on the gun laws. Angry pensioners would be spraying remainers if we had the same in the UK.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Has Neil deGrasse Tyson always been a bit of a dick?

https://mobile.twitter.com/neiltyson/status/1158074774297468928
  • Jesus what a list. It might have carried weight if he'd focused a bit on deaths by the million.
  • And would still be beside the point.
  • He seems to be a dick and also very much a moron.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • He has a general point about the press, stats and what we allow ourselves to be enraged by. It's the list that's upsetting me. He's black ffs.
  • I know there is some criticism of Bellingcat but the article on the 8chan stuff is on the money and easier to parse than the web of nested tweets Face linked, imo

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/americas/2019/08/04/the-el-paso-shooting-and-the-gamification-of-terror/
  • That's fucking depressing reading. We seem to be living in a world that's far beyond satire now.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • It's a focal point for stupid white men but the main problem is still the guns. It's always the guns. Guns guns everywhere. Stupid wars, stupid laws.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2017/03/30/the-cost-of-an-ak-47-on-the-black-market-across-the-world-infographic/#4463c9d27442
  • There's more to it than guns. US culture needs a reboot entirely.
  • Yes, without fucking guns. 1 AK47 for every 35 people in the world.
  • Genie is out of the bottle innit.
    Not saying they shouldn't change the gun laws but it is gonna take much more than that.
  • It's necessarily a multi-generational project that involves neutralising the slop of aspirational zeal, appeal to self-sufficiency, structural denial of human failure and frailty and undereceptiveness to nuance that is the American id.

To some extent, this is same as it ever was - an empire wobbles, it goes kind of nuts.
  • If the past 3,000 mass shootings haven’t made them look within and question their fucked up society I doubt this one will.
  • @ Brooks

It's finished and it knows it. Just doesn't have the numbers to compete and seems content to mainly harm itself these days and we'll see if they still have an appetite for war. I suspect isolationism, which won't do either tbh, not with the warming.
  • Mass shootings have always been part of american culture; it's part of the romantic 'wild wild west' when everything was better mythos. America was built on guns. Guns can make America great again.

Bless the NRA! Bless the 2nd amendment!
    MAGA!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • If I were Trump I'd post that on my Twitter
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • What's more American than shooting a local in the face? The Empire of course. That boat has sailed but the Yanks pretend they're still good at it.
  • hunk wrote:
    Mass shootings have always been part of american culture; it's part of the romantic 'wild wild west' when everything was better mythos. America was built on guns. Guns can make America great again.

Bless the NRA! Bless the 2nd amendment!
    MAGA!

The thing about that Wild West (awiki wild) was that it wasnt particularly wide spread and cattle driving was a tough life that took discipline.

The wild west shootouts were more akin to payday drunken fights outside Wetherspoons.

Cattle trails started linking up to towns with rail stations where cattle were sold and shipped out. Young men who had been on the road would use their pay to get drunk, whore, fight and shoot each other.

It's a nation that glamourises chavvy fights.
  • Would be nice if the soshul meedjuh firms that made bank (because engagement) off of shitheads radicalising morons would use the same filters and programs that keep ISIS out to shut down the rest of the terrorists.
    But yeah, would probably auto-block a bunch of GOP and the president in the process, so that would be lolz.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @ Brooks

It's finished and it knows it. Just doesn't have the numbers to compete and seems content to mainly harm itself these days and we'll see if they still have an appetite for war. I suspect isolationism, which won't do either tbh, not with the warming.

Yours and Brooks posts seem to imply it’s culture is on a downward spiral, the end of an empire. As though it was ever at a high point. Built by black slaves on the dead bodies of Native Americans it has never been a country with a clean soul. The id of white Americans can’t be fixed in my eyes because the dream of what they want America to be is at the cost of non-white races. I would hope for them to be isolated from the world, as they were pre-WWII, but their militarised economy won’t allow it. They will target another Middle Eastern state (Iran?) in the next decade, kill hundreds of thousands more in the name of democracy and prop up their economy while telling the world they are bringing peace.
  • In terms of fortunes for the avg white US voter, things have definitely been better, or at least more predictable. And it was very much easier to gloss over the flaws.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What country has a clean soul (what does that even mean)? Let's not pretend the US isn't the most powerful country in the world, in terms of economy, military and yes, culture. Even though that culture may be vapid and throw away or whatever, it's still the most dominant at this point in time.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    But it's long since gone past its high point, it's true.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah the soul thing was a bit of hyperbole. But it is a country that doesn’t want to break away from its glory days of white superiority. Worryingly it’s also having its affect on the UK too, it’s not even subtle anymore.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's not like the UK is on any hurry to break from its "glory" days either. That's not much to do with the US. It's been struggling with it since the end of WW2.
  • A majority of Americans support gun control. The problem is Republicans.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I know someone who has started to fall down this rabbit hole. Known him about 4 or 5 years, can go into more detail if it's of interest but I can track how it has happened. Regular /pol and 4chan user. Spicy memes triggered his dark sense of humour and aligned to some moderate right wing views at first, a gate way if you will. Havent seen him in about 18 months but work with a close mate of his who fills me in on what's happening. Since the last time I saw him he has started attending "Free Tommy Robinson" marches. I cant say how far he has fallen, that could be the extent of it, he could turn up on the news tomorrow. One thing that is certain though is that there is a direct correlation between his own dumb fuck decisions and how far he falls into victimhood and hate. What do you do though? He hasn't actually done anything to my knowledge that would put him on a watch list. He isnt gonna listen to other viewpoints he is fully indoctrinated. Something that is quite scary about it is that the guy isnt stupid, he isnt a gullible mug and he is genuinely witty and funny. It is actually quite sad to see him go this way.

This is what I'm wondering... How much of this is just an American problem.

Over here, we've traditionally seen US political... umm... turbulence... as an American product that doesn't export as neatly as say, Nike, or Five Guys.

Everyone thought Bush was a dick (pun) too... What's changed?
    A feeling of active participation, perhaps?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!