Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @Nina it was me asking earlier this week if our travel gov site should have a warning for the USA. Someone, sorry can’t recall who (Liv maybe?) explained, rightly, that the targeting is unlikely to involve British tourists. Though I didn’t discuss further at the time, my concern would be being mixed race I could be targeted by white supremacists. I certainly wouldn’t ever consider travelling to any of the southern states for example.
  • Yeah that was me.
    Kow came up with some good counter arguments.

I was coming from a general advice point of view, Kow's points felt more political but valid.

I hadn't considered general advice based on race (white luxury) I was thinking purely in terms of mass shootings.
    I couldn't say what official advice would be appropriate but I can certainly understand why non-white people would be uncomfortable visiting parts of America.

I was listening to a podcast the other day that had Gary Younge on as a guest.
    He was saying how he was doing research for a book and as part of that visited various gun fairs.
    He was the only black guy in the room and felt it, eyes on him at all times.
    When he spoke in a British accent it totally disarmed them, suddenly he wasn't the black bogeyman but a British stereotype. He further disarmed them when they found out he lived in America (his wife is American).
    No real point there but I think it's an interesting thing.
  • Kow wrote:
    A real fucking dumpster fire. It's that sort of thing that made me delete Twitter. You can't help cunts seeping in.

I'm on the verge of deleting my Twitter account. It's no good for my mental health and I haven't looked at it for 3 weeks now.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Do it and never look back. Social media in general just makes me angry these days. The only one I have left hanging on is Facebook but I'm hovering over the delete account button as I never use it because it's so full of total shit.
  • A couple of general elections ago is when my Facebook went. The next US election could see me delete Twitter.
  • Kow wrote:
    Do it and never look back. Social media in general just makes me angry these days. The only one I have left hanging on is Facebook but I'm hovering over the delete account button as I never use it because it's so full of total shit.

Just done it actually. Feel better already.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • https://www.ozarksfirst.com/local-news/springfield-police-arrest-armed-man-at-walmart-on-republic/

Yay, the good guy with a gun narrative is gonna go off.

(but seriously, if it turns out he stopped a Spree, that's pretty awesome.)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • *site unavailable to European visitors*
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • To be fair - I wouldn't have a problem with a Good Guy with a Gun stopping a bad guy with  gun. The only issues I have with La Pierres statement is that it's not the ONLY thing that will stop a bad guy with a gun (hint: stop the bad guy getting the gun, don't have them freely available, limit the power of what is available) and how are we determining Good Guys (Suggestions such as Gun Owners database, Mental Health Checks, proper training, Only Police with heavy fire arms, Police properly trained in the correct use of force i.e. not watching Lethal Weapon 1-4)
    SFV - reddave360
  • SPRINGFIELD, Mo.– The Springfield Police Department tweeted out Thursday that an armed man was arrested at the Walmart Neighborhood Market on W. Republic Road.

Later, Lt. Mike Lucas with Springfield Police confirmed it was a white man in his 20s, armed with a rifle that was taken into custody.

“His intent was not to cause peace or comfort to anybody that was in the business. In fact, he’s lucky to be alive still to be honest,” he told reporters.

Lucas said Thursday evening that no shots were fired and nobody was injured. However, the man is still in custody.

“We definitely have some crimes here,” he said.

According to Lt. Lucas, an off duty fireman who was at the Walmart is to thank in some part for the young man’s arrest.

For now, investigators will review both the Walmart security footage and the armed 20-year-old’s social media profiles.

Lucas says there may have been a Facebook live posted by the man. Officers plan to watch the video and learn his intentions.

Lucas said the store’s multiple security cameras will make it easy for SPD to study his behavior.

“Walmart has hundreds of cameras,” Lucas said. “Every footstep he took here is going to chronical and document his actions.”

The incident discussed above is at Walmart Neighborhood Market located at 3150 W. Republic Rd. An armed individual was confronted at that location and arrested. The investigation is ongoing

— Springfield PD (@SGFPolice) August 8, 2019
    This is a developing story.
  • Cheers Dante.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    *site unavailable to European visitors*

I rarely find myself using these, but if you're really itching to view an ip protected resource (American news pages, and quite frequently, Youtube), then try this:

http://webproxy.to/

That's the first one from a Google search, but just run a search for 'web proxy'.
    There are also specific ones for Youtube and the like.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • g.man wrote:
    *site unavailable to European visitors*
    I rarely find myself using these, but if you're really itching to view an ip protected resource (American news pages, and quite frequently, Youtube), then try this: http://webproxy.to/ That's the first one in the Google search, but just run a search for 'web proxy'. There are also specific ones for Youtube and the like.

Either that or just wait until the 31st of October, when we'll take back control of the internet.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    That's probably why it's useful to share this knowledge now...
    You've been living in that future for years though.

I'm preaching to the choir...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Cheers Dyno.
  • Walmart removing violent videogame advertising, keeping guns.
    https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/08/09/walmart-reportedly-removing-violent-game-ads-will-still-sell-guns

Excuse the IGN article but it does provide some incredible comments.

One guy keeps posting this
    Stalin took the guns! Hitler took the guns! Mao took the guns!

This seems rather special as well.
    I also think that guns should be a right and healthcare shouldn't be. You aren't naturally born with healthcare, lol. You are born with the potential to defend yourself. If you want me to agree with you on healthcare, stop calling it a right. It is not.
  • Americans, who'd have 'em?
  • You are born with the potential to provide healthcare.
  • That quote is classic. I mean, if the standard is what we are born with, we are well fucked. 

Why do so many go back to stuff like this? Who cares if Healthcare isn't something we are born with - surely its a win from a moral, social and economic point of view (ok don't have facts for the economic but a healthy populace surely is better overall than having people delaying and ignoring health issues because of finances. I know my life is easier when my staff are healthy)
    SFV - reddave360
  • Fucking hell. I shouldn’t be surprised by America being America any more, but I still am.
  • You aren’t born with the potential to defend yourself though, that’s why parents look after their helpless & vulnerable babies rather than post them outside the front door to guard the property.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ugh power cuts
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    We’re keeping all the electricity here in south London.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That's cos you don't have any to start with
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    That quote is classic. I mean, if the standard is what we are born with, we are well fucked. 

Why do so many go back to stuff like this? Who cares if Healthcare isn't something we are born with - surely its a win from a moral, social and economic point of view (ok don't have facts for the economic but a healthy populace surely is better overall than having people delaying and ignoring health issues because of finances. I know my life is easier when my staff are healthy)

Non of the "rights" we have are God given, universal or natural. If they were we would always have had them. They are all rights that we as a society have collectively decided should be rights. The right to free health care in the UK is no more indelible than the right to bear arms or the right to free speech in the US. The rights that a society regard as universal reflect on that society.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I think healthcare has done a better job of helping me defend myself than gun ownership has
  • Have we considered some kind of health dispensing gun.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Have we considered some kind of health dispensing gun.

overwatch-Mercy.jpg
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Just shoot the viruses before they can reach you. Simple.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!