Current Affairs
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    Can't they just condense all these shootings into an officially recognised month of mayhem or something?
    You mean The Purge?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    A member of staff, or member of ICE (not sure which) drove his pick-up truck into a group of peaceful protesters outside a detention facility last night. That country is so fucked, justice/law enforcement officials thinking its OK to assault peaceful, unarmed protesters with a deadly weapon. It's ridiculous.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-49365798/truck-driven-into-protesters-at-us-immigrant-detention-centre
  • Aye, truck drives into them, protestors touch and hit the truck, so the ICE fellas mates then have license to wade in with pepper spray “cos they were coming right at me”. Cops stand by and do nothing.
  • AFAIK then protestors are a mixed bunch but primarily organised by Jewish groups, because they (along with Japanese Americans) understand best what the thin end of the wedge looks like.
  • That agency needs to be dismantled.
  • But how else will they employ the roid fuelled fascists that weren't good enough for the army or police?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The Xenophobic Fighting League?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ah, so like a less believable Bloodbowl. Got it.
  • https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/aug/17/portland-oregon-far-right-rally-proud-boys-antifa

Trump announces that anti-fascist protesters may be declared a domestic terror organisation. Seriously - this guy could go full Emperor Palpatine and people would still sing his praises.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Cause I cant find the environment thread (do we have one?), thought I'd post the link here. A very good read.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/17/plastic-recycling-myth-what-really-happens-your-rubbish
  • Far right cunts are emboldened. Fuck 'em in the eye!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Cause I cant find the environment thread (do we have one?), thought I'd post the link here. A very good read. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/17/plastic-recycling-myth-what-really-happens-your-rubbish

Climate Change apathy Ragnarok thread.

This is the important takeaway from that article: “No civilised society should be getting rid of its waste to a developing country.”

At the very top level, we need a huge education effort in the UK – people need to know, on a personal level, what things can be recycled, what things can’t, and which bins they should be putting things into. Better sorting of our household waste would make a huge difference right up the chain. 

But it’s complex and right now hardly anyone really understands what should go where – and that includes the agencies collecting our household trash. I know I’ve seen a bin lorry picking up two types of bin and chucking them in the same truck together.
  • I remember negotiating waste collection for the restaurant and brewery and it came down to 2 companies - both of whom claimed that the other was just chucking the recycled with the regular. Took a while to confirm that only one was telling a fib.
    SFV - reddave360
  • The Guardian published Art Spiegelman's introductory essay from the Folio Society collection of Golden Age Comics that Marvel wanted him to add due to a reference to trump.
  • The guy who comes round our office at the end of the day takes rubbish out of the recycling bin and puts it in with the rest. I confronted him with some of my recycling once but he doesn’t understand English and just says “yes here here” and points to where he puts it all in one big bintrolleything he pushes around.

I was thinking of mentioning it to the building managers.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Putting your plastics in the right bin is pretty small fry compared to the vast amount of pollution caused across the planet by factories, the military etc.

I find it slightly annoying when the weight of defeating global warming is placed on me, the consumer, rather than the large scale industrial polluters of the world.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Plastic recycling is generally a load of bollocks anyway. It was started by big food and packaging firms as a way to reduce their responsibility for the rise in cheap single use plastic packaging and transfer the blame and responsibility onto the consumer.
  • Plastic recycling is generally a load of bollocks anyway. It was started by big food and packaging firms as a way to reduce their responsibility for the rise in cheap single use plastic packaging and transfer the blame and responsibility onto the consumer.

Thats not strictly true. The aim is not to get you to recycle the plastics (although that helps) the main aim is to get you to avoid the plastics altogether. Many restaurants have taken this on board and many consumers do too. Granted, its a bit of a middle class thing maybe but several of my friends moved from recycling all the plastics to just avoid bringing them into your home by buying from shops which use less. 

There's a big problem in how packaging can be recycled and it can be confusing. And I'd certainly agree with LarryDavid that industry is where the real damage is done - not just the big players like factories but any type of shop can have a pretty large footprint which can be reduced down with effort. 

I still like to do my best within my own home - if nothing else it gives you an idea of how versatile we can make things if we try. We try (and thhats the key part) to avoid just about any single use plastics and any food waste goes into something else where possible. The benefit is our bins are not nearly as full as they used to be. Saves me money for the bin charge and makes out family feel better about how we use things. 

The only major issue have yet to conquer is Birthdays / Christmas time - kids toys packaging is ridiculous and things like blind bags and lol dolls take the piss.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Plastic recycling is generally a load of bollocks anyway. It was started by big food and packaging firms as a way to reduce their responsibility for the rise in cheap single use plastic packaging and transfer the blame and responsibility onto the consumer.

And the deposit return schemes for single use containers being brought into law soon (in Scotland first, then rest of UK) go some way towards returning that responsibility to the manufacturers. Belatedly, but better than nothing.
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    Putting your plastics in the right bin is pretty small fry compared to the vast amount of pollution caused across the planet by factories, the military etc.

I find it slightly annoying when the weight of defeating global warming is placed on me, the consumer, rather than the large scale industrial polluters of the world.

Both are important. And changes as the micro scale are the ones that change minds and opinions at the top of the macro. Change a person’s habits and you change their decision making strategies in the workplace.

• When we’re all underwater I’ll still feel it was more to do with centuries of industrial pollution that governments were too impotent and cowardly to deal with than my own minor plastic bag usage.
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    When we’re all underwater I’ll still feel it was more to do with centuries of industrial pollution that governments were too impotent and cowardly to deal with than my own minor plastic bag usage.

You could inflate all those plastic bags and bind them all together with some fishing line to make yourself a flotilla to sail to the Alps and the only dry land in Europe.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • The quality's so poor these days I wouldn't even make it past the underwater city of Birmingham.
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    When we’re all underwater I’ll still feel it was more to do with centuries of industrial pollution that governments were too impotent and cowardly to deal with than my own minor plastic bag usage.

Ah, so you’re the one who’s feeling impotent. Got it.
  • It was joke, but yes - tackling large scale industrial pollution would do more good than well meaning but ultimately useless guilt tripping of ordinary citizens. Imo, etc.
  • When I'm mullah of the caliphate of britanislams:

- quotas on air travel, a token system. can carry over one year. can transfer once a year. Abolish private jets.

- quotas on meat. Especially beef. Meat production scaled back, incentivise production of vegetables and meat alternatives like Quorn.

- abolish private cars in urban and conurban areas. Force ride sharing, improve / streamline public transport. Or walk you fat, lazy infidels.

- ban single use, return to glass bottles for single use which are traded in for replacement. That's how we bought coke in Algeria for weddings (no booze, so we kids had to ferry 3x 36 empty glass bottles to the shops, to come back with 3x 36 full ones, you pay for the content). Built in recycling. If you don't, you pay for the glass container. Can be used for milk and water. The microplastic is killing our insides anyways.

- mandatory beheadings for people who fart more then five times a day over a one week period. The good news is the detested mullah ozno, well known for being a fartypants, won't last a week. Everyone cheers.

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Increased meat alternatives.
    A tax on farts.

You tyrant.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!