Current Affairs
  • Germany tightens carnival security after driver with 'dead' expression injures 61 - Reuters https://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-carnival-crash/germany-tightens-carnival-security-after-driver-with-dead-expression-injures-61-idUSKCN20J0X8?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

OK, thankfully, no deaths.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Carnival = lots of very drunk people.
    Could have been far worse.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Re Delhi clashes. Was just reading a news report.

“The Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) grants amnesty to non-Muslim immigrants from three nearby Muslim-majority countries - Afghanistan, Pakistan and Bangladesh.”

I mean... what the fuck?! Is that actually correct and what they are doing?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It’s a not very subtle erosion of India’s constitution, which guarantees equal rights regardless of religion, and protecting freedom of religion. Yes it’s correct.

By granting amnesty to non-Muslims from neighbouring countries, but not Muslim immigrants (less protected by constitution), you obviously undermine Islam in both those countries and your own, and the rights of Muslims in your country begin to be eroded.
  • It’s pretty disgusting what’s happening in India. They’re by a long way gripped by essentially nazi tactics under a Hindu dressing.

At least they won’t have to swap swap out the swastika. Shame on them.

While all of this has happened the prime minister has wrangled himself a reservoir.
  • The WHO and governments of the world have all spectacularly dropped the ball on the Coronavirus Covid 19.

They are still talking about how it might be a pandemic, it's fairly fucking clear it already is.

Worse I'm now entirely convinced that the disease will become endemic, just like the seasonally flus and common colds.

It's funny how looking at something microscopic and the data it generates is like looking at the stars, just staring into the past.

I've not understood the calm, "it's just a flu", dismissals.
    Unlike Ebola which is far too fatal, Covid 19 hides in plain fucking sight.
    An efficient virus doesn't kill everyone.

If it had a 10% fatality it would be awful, worse than it is but 60% 70% it would have been locked down and killed outright.
    But regardless of if it's 2% or 1%, or even a bit less, this one is bad. Worst one of our lifetimes. And it's not just the old and inform. Some of the victims have been young strong and healthy. Is it setting off cytokine storms? We don't know.

And that's not getting into the fact that there are a lot of old people and immunosuppressed people out there who do in fact want to keep living.

My parents are passed away now, but I always took the flu vaccine just to reduce the chances I would give it to them. Getting the flu sucks but I'm not personally that bothered by it, if it wasn't for them.
    I've been disgusted by how many people flippantly brush it off as only affecting old people. Surely most of us have family and at least one relative is either older or unwell in someway?

First it wasn't something distantly foreign
    Then it was something that only affected the already old and sick
    Then it was something inconvenient about travel
    Then it was something foreign but closer
    Then it was something suspected in a single town/school/place
    Then it was something suspected in several towns/schools/places
    Next it's going to be the thing that's everywhere???

Conjecture of course and it might sound panicy but I can assure you I'm not, just today different European country's wildly different reaction to Italy, shows how non-unified the response is.

Strong measures causing short term economic damage were needed at the start of this and in almost every case, China, Japan etc were missed.
    Then leading to what I believe will be long term economic damage as this whole event unfolds.

Wind Waker is a bad game
  • I would lay off the 24 hour news cycle.
  • Also Italy are routinely garbage at handling anything. In many aspects they are shown up by much poorer nations.

The economic damage is real but really it is highlighting the West's reliance on China's manufacturing for base parts. It was inevitable something would effect this. As things go Corona should be a wake up call not the end of days
  • Big international conferences and similar are freaking the hell out. Mobile World Conference was cancelled – the phone industry’s version of CES. The Geneva Motor Show is about a week away and while it seems to be going ahead the organisers are watching things very closely. A hell of a lot of people are already making excuses for staying away.

I can understand the nervousness about cramming thousands of people from all corners of the world into sealed air-conditioned meeting halls right now, but it’s not like Disneyland has shut its doors …
  • Sony have pulled their Playstation show from PAX as well.

Honestly I think it should serve as a kick up the arse to move on from having 1000s of people flying around the world for conferences anyway.
  • poprock wrote:
    Big international conferences and similar are freaking the hell out. Mobile World Conference was cancelled – the phone industry’s version of CES. The Geneva Motor Show is about a week away and while it seems to be going ahead the organisers are watching things very closely. A hell of a lot of people are already making excuses for staying away.

I can understand the nervousness about cramming thousands of people from all corners of the world into sealed air-conditioned meeting halls right now, but it’s not like Disneyland has shut its doors …

Lot of companies skipping GDC too.
  • There is a business logic behind this stuff. Key staff tend to be the ones shipped out to these things it is likely less a fear of contracting the virus and more a fear of having execs and chief creators stuck in quarantine.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Sony have pulled their Playstation show from PAX as well. Honestly I think it should serve as a kick up the arse to move on from having 1000s of people flying around the world for conferences anyway.

Indeed. The best alternative model to big shows would be to stop flying, collaborate remotely, and listen to customers online.

Ice Ice Baby
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Not for every industry, but for many, yeah.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    The economic damage is real but really it is highlighting the West's reliance on China's manufacturing for base parts. It was inevitable something would effect this. As things go Corona should be a wake up call not the end of days

Funnily enough I saw this the other day.

We could learn a lot from China, their practices on recycled (and importantly) open source hardware are just fantastic. The West urgently need to adopt this way of thinking. Not that it will because lawyers.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • What is recycled open source hardware?
  • Are you basically talking about copyright infringement on a nationally sanctioned scale leading to competitive advantages that cannot scale globally?
  • I think he is, but I haven’t watched the video.
  • Shenzen I O is a fun game until it becomes impossible.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Are you basically talking about copyright infringement on a nationally sanctioned scale leading to competitive advantages that cannot scale globally?

It's about improvement and the sharing of ideas. I never really understood the fact the Chinese goverment turn such a blind eye to international copyright infringement, thinking it was some snub to the West, but it's much deeper and better than that with tech in Shenzen. It's about improvement AND innovation. It's about using open source software and ideas, and building it with open source and recycled hardware. It's both more communist and more capitalist than anything we see in the west. Watch the vid.
  • If there's ever a docu to show why China is going to be the next tech superpower that is it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    So what happens if you are supposed to stay at home for 2 weeks because of COVID-19 suspicion and you are on a (maybe >1) zero hours contract?

Seems to me to be a great policy for spreading a disease.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • "I don't care if you have got coronavirus, your shift starts at 8 and you better be there sunshine!"
  • Or: you can’t make money for half a month haha fuck off and die without any health or sick benefits.
  • Seems to be a good way of preventing the spread of it, aye. Kill the weak.
  • Similar issue with America. If you dont have health insurance (and even if you do) how long do you put off seeking medical assistance if it could bankrupt you?
  • Whilst billionaires exist it is literally insane to me that anyone should have to pay for healthcare.
  • ^Listen to Jeremy fuckin' Corbyn here...

This ain't Venezuela mate.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!