Current Affairs
  • The MoD only went over to Win7 when XP went end of life a couple of years back.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Police Scotland still uses XP. I think we might be upgrading later this year. Maybe.
    Really!

This is very worrying.

The Army only upgraded last year. It's a huge cost, plus it has to go through all the Bureaucracy of these organisations.
  • Our latest NHS DIgital bulletin says it's affecting platforms right through to Windows 10 anyway, so who knows.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    The MoD only went over to Win7 when XP went end of life a couple of years back.

Ah, there you go.
  • TBF there wasn't a security reason to upgrade until MS stopped supporting it. That was the time to upgrade.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    The MoD only went over to Win7 when XP went end of life a couple of years back.

Ah, there you go.

Think they weighed up the cost of paying XP support vs upgrading

I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Apparently over 70 countries affected by the ransomware attack.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    The irony is you have to pay Microsoft a small fortune to support an end of life operating system. A small fortune being millions every year.

Air traffic control, airports, atms, banks, police etc most are on Xp.

Well it's not exactly end of life then is it? If ATC was on Windows 10 I'd personally wait a decade or so before getting on a plane.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Support before end of life is free.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    The irony is you have to pay Microsoft a small fortune to support an end of life operating system. A small fortune being millions every year. Air traffic control, airports, atms, banks, police etc most are on Xp.
    Well it's not exactly end of life then is it? If ATC was on Windows 10 I'd personally wait a decade or so before getting on a plane.

Microsoft aren't just going to leave companies in the lurch. The product in this case XP is EOL. Companies can choose to pay MS a huge yearly fee for support in case anything goes wrong. There are no new windows patches for XP past its EOL.

MS are dying a slow death, in a few decades they could be a minor player.
  • Support before end of life is free.

No its not, not if your a business. You pay for for EUA (enterprise agreement) which gives you your support and various licences for MS software.
  • JMW wrote:
    Our latest NHS DIgital bulletin says it's affecting platforms right through to Windows 10 anyway, so who knows.

Though to be fair I'm not sure NHS Digital have the first idea what they're doing.

(This may just be sour grapes on my part because the combination of all GP Practices - in my patch at least - being told they had to TURN OFF ALL COMPUTERS NOW!!!!!, mixed with patients all being told to avoid A&E - so turning up at their GPs with chest pain; has made this one of the shittier days at work.)
  • XP could have been the entry point.

Seen reports on BBC that the memo to shut down all computers wasn't sent out to all and even where it was some places were told to switch back on before the it was contained.
  • Fucking amateur hour.
    Billions on useless nukes and cuts to the real threats.
    It's not even a proper attack, it is run of the mill ransomware.

Cyber protection for core services like the police and NHS shouldn't even be coming out of their budgets, it should be a defence issue.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    LarryDavid wrote:
    Corbyn's time machine manifesto will see the NHS operating on computers that can't even access the internet. You don't get these problems with a good old BBC Acorn.

But who'll sort out the immigrants?

May.png
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    This is Die Hard 4.0
  • Get them all on Linux. Hire a bunch of professionals who know wtf they are doing. Hopefully this is a wakeup call.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    This is Die Hard 4.0

Bagsy driving a car into a chopper
  • Andy wrote:
    I doubt anybody is paying anyone for anything.

The Government paid Microsoft for an additional year of support, and then decided "fuck it, it will be fine".

But an undiscussed number of agencies are still running XP, at least on some machines, leading the government digital service to suggest “We expect most remaining government devices using Windows XP will be able to mitigate any risks, using the CESG guidance.”

Such agencies “... may need to review their own short term transition support,” the post suggests, helpfully.

As we've reported, agencies including the Metropolitan Police, the NHS and HMRC are still to finish XP migration projects.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Support before end of life is free.

No its not, not if your a business. You pay for for EUA (enterprise agreement) which gives you your support and various licences for MS software.

Yeah, OK, not free but already paid/accounted for
  • If it is a single machine there is a weakness. Today has shown that this kind of thing really needs to be out of the hands of the NHS, police etc, this isn't their jobs.
    Like Gurt said it is a wake up call and really we can be thankful it wasn't a targeted attack.

This has to start falling under defence. A targeted attack that takes down our police, NHS and tax systems for any length of time beyond a week would be absolute chaos.
    It really isn't too hard to imagine a group like ISIS achieving it if there are still XP systems being used daily.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's good to see our current strong and stable leadership funding departments adequately to avoid problems like this, and then accountably admitting what's gone wrong and how they're going to fix it.
  • All these places should be transitioning to Linux.

As much as possible anyway. The place in the NHS I worked at, I was working on a code base that was started in the 70s in an obselete programming language that they can't port out.
  • Wow, embaressment for the yanks. Apparently its one of their tools that was stolen that was used for this attack. oops.
  • Fucking amateur hour.
    Billions on useless nukes and cuts to the real threats.
    It's not even a proper attack, it is run of the mill ransomware.

Cyber protection for core services like the police and NHS shouldn't even be coming out of their budgets, it should be a defence issue.
    Guess which operating system they run on the Trident subs.
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a19061/britains-doomsday-subs-run-windows-xp/
  • I'm actually surprised Trident is that modern.
  • Does this attack have anything to do with XP?
  • XP has the most vulnerability as its so ancient. I guess the tool got around alot of Windows OS. Just depends on how many layers of defence a business has I.e. Anti virus, whitelisting, memory protection etc etc
  • Just reading up on it.
    The ransomware was a worm that exploited a fault in MS OSs and was identified by NSA.
    NSA was hacked, details on the exploit were later shared openly.
    MS patched the fault but if operating systems were no longer supported or updates turned off then it would still be vulnerable. So yeah XP seems to be the main reason this was possible.
    MS have said they will now release an update for XP to resolve the issue but it is a matter of time before it happens again.

Heads should roll for this but they won't, Hunt is untouchable. The fact it hit other countries means any attempt to put this on Cons will be met with "nobody knew".
  • The NSA knew. And Microsoft.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!