Current Affairs
  • If you look what I actually said was "a man of almost pathological levels of delusional", in what to my mind is clearly a hyperbolic statement to hammer home that Chmosky is not only wrong about this stuff but is totally fixed in his position and not intersted in other ideas. I wasn't attacking his character or motive.  I then immediately invited Face to talk about this issues themselves - not these particualr personaliteis (I didn't raise Harris here).

But Ok, Ill give it you. That was a blatant personal attack on Chomsky because I just can't deal with his infallable truth.

Calling Sam Harris a bigot however WHICH YOU JUST DID, is the textbook example of ad hominem. Given that you've literally just told me that personal attacks are a poor substitute for an actaully argument I guess now you'd like to retract that and maybe, I dunno, apolgoise to me?

Unless you're just spouting random shit for effect of course?
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Lots of American kids being very publicly pissed off today, good for them.
  • JRPC wrote:
    Calling Sam Harris a bigot however WHICH YOU JUST DID, is the textbook example of ad hominem. Given that you've literally just told me that personal attacks are a poor substitute for an actaully argument I guess now you'd like to retract that and maybe, I dunno, apolgoise to me? Unless you're just spouting random shit for effect of course?
  • legaldinho wrote:
     Haven't read the article, but that snippet pretty much sums up the Sam Harris fanboy movement for me.
  • You seem very emotional JRPC - you should probably try to be more rational ITT.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Lots of American kids being very publicly pissed off today, good for them.

Absolutely.

This time there seems to be a little more traction to all this but does anyone even have a decent suggestion of what realistic reform would look like?
  • I'm also with Chomski.
    That Harris guy is waaaaay out of his league.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Everyone seems to be appealing to this idea that Harris is simply out of his league here and therefore wrong from the oputset. Chomsky's credentials alone are enough and nothing else needs to be said.

Well if you're happy with that then fine.

I'd be very happy not to talk about either of these men anymore.
  • Brooks wrote:

It's amazing they've not had a total shitfit before this though. The whole thing is bewildering and confusing to the point of, I dunno, madness? 

As a parent in Europe you sort of worry about a lot of things but not whether your child is going to get his head blown off during his spelling test.

Also, Sam Harris is a professional loudmouth. He gets stuff right, he gets stuff wrong, but he should never be mistaken for a political movement because he will never be that.
  • JRPC wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    Absolutely. This time there seems to be a little more traction to all this but does anyone even have a decent suggestion of what realistic reform would look like?

Apart from arming the teachers of course.
  • JRPC wrote:
    Everyone seems to be appealing to this idea that Harris is simply out of his league here and therefore wrong from the oputset. Chomsky's credentials alone are enough and nothing else needs to be said. Well if you're happy with that then fine. I'd be very happy not to talk about either of these men anymore.

It's not about credentials.
    I agree more with Chomski's point of view than I do with Harris.
    I guess I don't believe in an 'ethical' state and I certainly don't believe the US to be one.
  • Stuff Harris is right about imo:

Religion being rubbish and A.I being scary. 

He seems perversely upset with Islam to the point of sounding like a cunt, which basically makes him a cunt. You can't pick on one more than the others for being worse. That's yer basic racism right there, with no regard for history, poverty, common sense and the awfulness of the Christian cunts that fucked everything up in the first place.

He seems perversely upset with Islam to the point of sounding like a cunt, which basically makes him a cunt. You can't pick on one more than the others for being worse. That's yer basic racism right there, with no regard for history, poverty, common sense and the awfulness of the Christian cunts that fucked everything up in the first place.

You absolutely can.

Religion is just a set of ideas and the harmfulness of each religion can be traced back to the specific doctrines of each.

Compare Jainism and Catholicism for example.

Fyi Harris has written an entire book criticising Christianity. He hasn't about Islam.

It has literally nothing to do with race.

Islam is a religion not a race.

Does criticizing Scientology make you racist against Americans?
  • I was gonna point out that, after making a lofty claim, which I quoted, you ignored my posts pointing out your errors, and do the usual hounding and making sure you realise that I know you ran off embarassed, but you know what, in the light of your other posts, I just feel sorry for you mate. You seem like a reasonable bloke in most respects, but just seem to have brainwashed yourself in respect of this one little thing. Sadly, that thing involves pigeon holing about 1 billion people, most of whom belong to a different race, and getting angry that people think that is pretty dumb, and also racist. Good luck climbing out of the hole you've dug yourself into.
  • Islam is now the baaad religion. 400 years ago one could argue it was Christianity, because colonialism, slavery, the inquisition etc.

The thing I dislike about religion is....
    In politics religion/ideology is often used (abused?) as a tool to legitimise rule of a regime over a people.
    It's also often used to legitimise atrocities and acts of war against 'others'. Historically, Christianity is just as bad as Islam in that regard.

Actually, Harris is doing just that; he's trying to justify US foreign policy and US military strikes affecting civilians as being less evil than 'others'.
    Anyone remember the righteous Vietnam war and the evil vietcong?
    Scrap that, anyone remember the Iraq invasion and supposed weapons of mass destruction cache? You know, the one that birthed IS?
  • For others who are yet salvageable, I tend not to waste time on Sam Harris, but this article sums up the snideness of the business Sam Harris is into. And make no mistake, man is about making dolla off a very old, very pernicious tendency of white (mostly men) trying to justify their superiority scientifically. He is very careful not to say anything racist but the veneer is thinner than dick skin

https://the-orbit.net/progpub/2017/05/04/sam-harris-racist/
  • JRPC wrote:
    Religion is just a set of ideas and the harmfulness of each religion can be traced back to the specific doctrines of each.

This is absolute bullshit.
  • I'm really quite angry about that JRPC. It shows a blatant disregard to any fucking bit of history ever.
  • I'm really quite angry about that JRPC. It shows a blatant disregard to any fucking bit of history ever.

Ok well I'm feeling pretty confident I could defend or at least expand on that.

Do you want to give me an example of what you mean?
  • Really?!! Ok, let's start with Jesus love. How's that working out? Must be good right?
  • Anyone who considers the Bell Curve legit science is a fraud. Imho.
    This definitely sides me with Chomski.
  • JRPC wrote:
    Everyone seems to be appealing to this idea that Harris is simply out of his league here and therefore wrong from the oputset. Chomsky's credentials alone are enough and nothing else needs to be said. Well if you're happy with that then fine. I'd be very happy not to talk about either of these men anymore.

I note the last sentence but have to wade in because of the first.

One of the articles you admitted to ignoring certainly pointed out credentials, and as I said, veered into a little too much reverence, but it certainly didn't decide nothing else needs to be said. It then went through almost point by point taking apart Harris's arguments. I thought it did a great job. I will quote bits later. 

I'll also, in this case, suggest that part of the problem is that Sam has read less Chompsky than I have. 

He says he is treating Noam's "9/11" book as his basis, so he's read that, he admits to not having read of his others, which, as is pointed out, is Noam's take on "intentions" in freakin book form. Just arguing he's written a lot about stuff I agree won't do, but there is a tipping point where if Harris really wanted to get into this, he needed to do some research. It's not a pure argument from authority if Sam's take on Chompsky's views are the equivalent of taking a sentence out of a chapter and claiming it as the entirety of his thoughts.

That he then doesn't directly quote or engage with anything Chomsky said in 9/11 is even more annoying. Again, as the alternet piece points out, in the long extract from Letter.... Harris quotes everyone BUT Chomsky, in a section named after him!

Granted, Harris does explicitly say that a bunch of stuff the US has done is very bad, but like a bit of Theological Apologetics from Spong, he basically lists them all and comes up with a conclusion that doesn't follow from the actions he describes. Hence the "because we're special snowflakes" quote from that blog. Because what else is he saying other than our violence is nicer than yours? 

Apologies for length here, but I'm crook and stuck at home on the couch. 

At the end of the day though, this bears similarities with the reaction to The Moral Landscape. There's a kernel of good ideas in there, but Harris, like this situation, seems to underplay and ignore previous work of others and make some pretty big obvious mistakes. It's not even that he's wrong, it's that folks have nutted out all the stuff he says previously, and sometimes articulated a better formulation of what he's said (in The Moral Landscape) without overstepping into lala land, and in the case of ML thinking that "human flourishing" is a simple term. I'm a big fan of situational ethics, and a sprinkle of utilitarianism isn't the end of the world, but Harris, at best, when it comes to moral philosophy, might only end up being the simplistic gateway drug to reading better stuff. 

I've read basically all his books. I've read a number of his articles and blog posts, I've read the email exchange in it's entirety. He's wrong on moral intentions like he's wrong on a lot of things. 

I admire his willingness to openly discuss things, I'm not as cynical about his reasons for this exchange as others are, again, given Moral Landscape experience, but that doesn't ipso facto mean he is actually willing to change his mind or see where he's blatantly wrong on things.

Chomsky(4-27) does not agree.“The bombing of al-Shifa was an immediate response to the Embassy bombings,” he writes, “which is why it is almost universally assumed to be retaliation.  It is inconceivable that in that brief interim period evidence was found that it was a chemical weapons factory, and properly evaluated to justify a bombing.”

“I do not, again, claim that Clinton intentionally wanted to kill the thousands of victims,” Chomsky states.  “Rather, that was probably of no concern, raising the very serious ethical question that I have discussed, again repeatedly in this correspondence.  And again, I have often discussed the ethical question about the significance of real or professed intentions, for about 50 years in fact, discussing real cases, where there are possible and meaningful answers.  Something clearly worth doing, since the real ethical issues are interesting and important ones.”

Harris (4-27) responds, “Noam, I am hard pressed to understand the uncharitable attitude—really bordering on contempt—conveyed by almost everything you have written thus far.”

“Your dismissal of an idealized thought experiment as ‘embarrassing and ludicrous,’ and your insistence upon focusing on real-world cases about which our intelligence is murky is not helping to clarify things.”

“You say that you are NOT claiming, ‘Clinton intentionally wanted to kill thousands of victims.’ Okay. But you seem to be suggesting that he had every reason to expect that he would be killing them by his actions (and just didn’t care). And you seem disinclined to distinguish the ethics of these cases.

Harris then states, “Perhaps we can rank order the callousness and cruelty here.”  He provides three cases: “1. al-Qaeda wanted and intended to kill thousands of innocent people—and did so; 2.  Clinton … wanted to destroy a valuable pharmaceutical plant. But he knew that he would bekilling thousands of people, and he simply didn’t care; and 3. Clinton … wanted to destroy what he believed to be a chemical weapons factory. But he did wind up killing innocent people, and we don’t really know how he felt about it.”

Harris does not include in his hierarchy of callousness and cruelty that the attack by al-Qaeda targeted the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, and the Capitol Building or White House, with the intention of causing serious damage to the U.S. political-military-financial complex, which would have had cascading negative repercussions throughout the world with the potential for global chaos.

Instead Harris pursues his linear argument. “Is it safe to assume that you view these three cases, as I do,” he writes, “as demonstrating descending degrees of evil?”

Harris makes dangerous assumptions that have lethal conclusions. Here it is the killing babies argument – babies die because evil intent can be ordered. The problem is that if such evil acts can be ordered then the killing of babies can be explained away. “They did that, so we did this, and that is more evil than this. We feel bad about it, so it’s okay.” It is a dead-end immoral argument.

And yet, here in the U.S. this type of discourse is commonplace. In the U.S. we sort and rank order just about everything. Such linear thinking is commonplace in the corridors of power, the military, and the media, from Fox News to NPR to talking heads on the Internet. It is the fill-in-the-bubble we are better than them mentality that pervades U.S. society. It is endemic.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Really?!! Ok, let's start with Jesus love. How's that working out? Must be good right?

You've lost me.

Whats your point with that?

Face I'm at work but will read and reply when I can.

• legaldinho wrote:
    For others who are yet salvageable, I tend not to waste time on Sam Harris, but this article sums up the snideness of the business Sam Harris is into. And make no mistake, man is about making dolla off a very old, very pernicious tendency of white (mostly men) trying to justify their superiority scientifically. He is very careful not to say anything racist but the veneer is thinner than dick skin https://the-orbit.net/progpub/2017/05/04/sam-harris-racist/

Good read. Read a few of the links re Bell Curve too, added a book to my amazon list out of it. Cheers. 

Fucking Shermer at the end too. ffs. I think I'm only gonna check in on Ophelia Benson and Greta Christina from now on from the NA movement. Every bloke seems to be opening their mouths to change feet.
  • JRPC wrote:

Yeah this is getting into the realms of the BNP and England First and those clowns. Islam is inherently violent, only white man religions allow peace, please ignore the centuries of Christ-fuelled bloodshed. Although I’m certain JPRC has stumbled into this unwittingly and not a terrible bad man.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I would posit that JP is one of the few people on here who is actually religious and therefore not keen on the idea that all religions are equally bad. Which is a fair enough angle to come from, I guess.
  • Yep.
  • monkey wrote:
    Yeah this is getting into the realms of the BNP and England First and those clowns. Islam is inherently violent, only white man religions allow peace, please ignore the centuries of Christ-fuelled bloodshed. Although I’m certain JPRC has stumbled into this unwittingly and not a terrible bad man.
    You can't be certain of that.

Kow wrote:
    I would posit that JP is one of the few people on here who is actually religious and therefore not keen on the idea that all religions are equally bad. Which is a fair enough angle to come from, I guess.

Actually I've ditched all of that now.

I've gone full heathen.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ah well that's good to know. Congrats.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!