The drinking man’s thread
  • I'm off until Jan 2nd, drop me a text whenever.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've only tried a few darker Euro-beers - tried a few when I was last in Belgium (should be there later this month actually) - and they all tasted splendid to me.

New Years Eve was a bit of a mess - felt like I had collided at full tilt with the Mourne Mountains yesterday morning...there wasn't a single glass receptacle in the house that went unused - took a while to clear up but hey-ho that's New Year's for you.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • adored wrote:
    Just back from Sunday lunch in Tilley's, sadly forgot to take a photo for Dan.

They've now got that oak aged Innis & Gunne stuff on tap. Lovely it was, only £3-odd a pint as well.

My jealousy knows no bounds.
  • Had some of Whychwood's Snake's Bite at lunchtime against my better judgement. Fucking foul stuff.  Refused to drink any more after the first mouthful.

Next up was some Brooklyn Lager. Now I'm not a big fan of lager in general so I didn't have much hope for this, but I was in an a somewhat experimental mood.  Not what I was expecting at all, if the deep amber colour and hoppy aroma were a surprise,  the flavour was a revelation.  Those gorgeous floral hopps (cascade it turns out, WIN!) made it seem more like a less bitter American IPA than a typical lager, or at least what I dismissively think of as a typical lager.  This is something I'd happily drink all night long, superb.
  • I remember sampling a bottle of Brooklyn at a CAMRA beer festival a few years ago. It was as you say quite distinctive and surprisingly quaffable. That reminds me it'll soon be time to roll out the barrel as the Bradford beer festival is just round the corner.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Webbins wrote:
    I remember sampling a bottle of Brooklyn at a CAMRA beer festival a few years ago. It was as you say quite distinctive and surprisingly quaffable. That reminds me it'll soon be time to roll out the barrel as the Bradford beer festival is just round the corner.

Its quite easy to get on tap, Brooklyn, it's always my first pint on a Toonstock at The Forth.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Not sure if this has been mentioned on here before but Tesco Finest American Double IPA is fucking glorious.  It's brewed for Tesco by Brewdog and although I haven't had their Hardcore in a while, if this isn't just a relabled version of that then it's very close (a side by side taste test is looming).  

An explosion of citrusy whole flower west coast hops *swoon* is followed by an almost overpowering bitterness with a long, dry, and cloyingly sweet finish.  I can still taste it half an hour after finishing my last bottle and it's made my mouth numb.  Nevertheless, it hide its 9.2% abv very well while you're actually drinking it.  

Overall it's nothing short of epic and I bloody love it, much easier to get hold of than Hardcore as well.  Highly recommended to fellow hop heads and all fans of the American IPA style.

Edit:  I should point out that I shared some of this with my brother and a couple of friends, one of them spat it out and the other two looked at me like I'd admitted to practising necrophilia.  It's not for everyone.
  • Have noticed the Greene King IPA stuff cropping up all over the shop recently, and their lovely pint pots. Local has the standard 3.6 but when in Whitby the other weekend, my favourite haunt Rosie O' Grady's had the 4.1 and Reserve 5.4 on tap too. All a top tipple by all accounts, two pots of the stuff tonight attest to that.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Tesco Finest American Double IPA

Yeah, its pretty great stuff, particularly at the price. Although, like most IPA, you either like it or you don't.
  • Yup, it's very close to my idea of IPA perfection (The Kernel do some American IPA's that beat it), but the type and sheer volume of hops used will be a turn off to many.

I struggle with traditional English IPA's myself.
  • My own favourite is the Goose Island IPA, its just delicious.
  • Aye it's a fantastic beer, my usual go-to American IPA.  That and Sierra Navada Pale Ale, depending on what's in stock.
  • What's the Caley IPA? Lovely stuff.
  • That's Deuchars isn't it?  It's an odd one, as with many so called India pale Ales it doesn't have anywhere near enough hops to actually be classed as one, it's more like a bitter with a few extra hops added.

For a truly traditional English IPA try Meantime India Pale Ale, it's one of the few done properly.  Strong, bitter, and hopy.  Having recommended it, and to back up Grem's earlier point, I really don't like it at all.  My palette's firmly on the side of the floral / citrusy / piney hit of the American IPA style.
  • Tonight I've got Goose, Sierra Nevada Extra IPA & a bottle of TF Double.
  • Superb selection Grem.  Got a couple of bottles of TF Double left for m'self tonight.
  • I'm well out the beer zone, but I think I need to get on Hitachino Nest, allegedly the top smallscale mob in the land. 

PFOY2er.jpg

Baird Beer is the other one, and they're tasty in my experience.

Would kinda like to try Pliny the Elder/Younger if I'm ever stateside.
  • Of all the regular-ass convenience store beers that aren't stouts, my assessment:

- Sapporo Black Label: Coolest can, bit chemical
    - Yebisu: Fruity (The ltd. ed. Joel Robuchon in the red can reminded me of lychees a lot)
    - Suntory Premium Malts: Floral, cherry-blossomish even, keeps its fizz the longest
    - Kirin Ichiban: Metallic
    - Asahi Super Dry: No-nonsense, the most easily consumed in quantity

None of them suck, but for convenience and price, it's Super Dry.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I like asahi super dry, like you say its nothing amazing but as a session beer its nice for some variety.
  • Hitachino Nest have got my interest, can't find anywhere that sells 'em though.  It seems Brewdog Bars had a Hitachino night last year, another one would be most welcome.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Thankful this place isn't GUINNESS central today
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I might buy some beer this week. Not had a drink since Christmas and I've two stag do's to attend next month, Magaluf and Kraków. I may die.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Had FAR too much Guinness yesterday. Entered the pub around 2:30pm and it all got a bit messy. I can remember polishing off a bottle of red wine in a Chinese restaurant but I have no idea what time that was at. It is the last thing I remember

I returned home around 10pm (I'm told) and was by all accounts a complete muppet. This doesn't happen too often thankfully.
  • Canned Guinness over here is low-tier. The local stouts punch it in the fuck.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Could never really get into the canned drink. There's the one with the widget which is passable but it isn't a patch on draught.

I got into bottled Guinness for a while when for some reason the draught in Belfast (early 90's) seemed to go through a patchy period. It is a totally different drink but more consistent.
  • A bottle of Rudgate York Chocolate Stout in the hand, 'tis a smooth brew and very drinkable at 5%. The chocolate does add a silky finish you don't often find in bottled brews. A little mid early week treat.
  • Officially my new favourite beer: Innis & Gunn Original Oak Aged Beer. By all the gods of fuckery it's absolutely gorgeous.

Along with a new incredible whisky: McDonalds Traditional Ben Nevis Malt.

Complementary taste bonus multiplier.
  • I like the three varieties of Innis & Gunn I've tried well enough, but not as much as some friends do.  It's pretty much worshiped round my way. 

As much as I love a hop bomb of an American style IPA, or a trappist (or high end abbey) dubbel or tripel, my all time favourite beer has to be Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout .  I love a good imperial stout and The Kernel do a couple of varieties that come close, but the wonderfully rich and potent Chicago beer's just perfectly suited to my taste buds.  Shame it's so expensive or I'd buy more than the half dozen or so bottles a year I currently do.  

I really want a bottle of it now.
  • Thinking about it, @Brooks might be interested in trying that if he hasn't already.
  • Would be up for it if I could find the stuff J-side.

Speaking of which, everything Hitachino Nest seem to put out tastes of meat, cheese and meaty cheese. Avoid.

Baird's "Jack The Ripper" IPA they put out for sale only at the bizarrely accurately British and pokey Aldgate pub in Shibuya is rather better. Hoppy/citrusy standard, smells of mangoes.

Apparently I can find Three Floyds Dark Lord stout here, will give that a slurp.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!