I AM ART! NSFW!
  • Some art makers I endorse ...

Gian Lorenzo Bernini:

6fN10V7.jpg

Vilhelm Hammershøi:

a6JG3fX.jpg

Andrew Wyeth:

a6RzMGu.jpg

Fuyuko Matsui (whose online presence tends to be rather low resolution unfortunately, but I have one book of hers which is not only beautiful (although disturbing) but also has the best smelling smell ever. It's like fresh grass and baking bread and how I imagine paper mills might smell):

qQlyL4q.jpg

DG1GNSs.jpg

hLM4QOz.jpg

Hn2QzPd.jpg
  • That vailed virgin is something else.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Accredited post.

I've a few things. For here.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    That vailed virgin is something else.

Saw that, or something like it, in Chatsworth House.

edit: different piece:
    http://kcamara.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/a-veiled-vestal-virgin/
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    krs wrote:
    how I imagine paper mills might smell
    The one near me smells like decaying animals.  Art = approved.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • My dad loved Lucian Freud when I was growing up. I remember him really passionately urging me to look at one of his pictures and question what was going on in each part of it, why it was there, and why it had been painted like that. I was probably about six and, now that I think about it, there's a good chance he was stoned.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Which picture? Or doesn't it matter?
  • This one in particular but he was like that about the whole Lucian Freud book he had.

interior-at-paddington-1951.jpg
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Got my sister a book a few years back, but portraits from the series before his death, personally I'm not as in to them as his not portraits.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    That guy's hands, btw.
  • He usually smokes with his other hand. That's what I learned.

edit - My dad probably jumped on that one because it's in the Walker.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'm gonna have to start looking at where the light comes in from.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    sundayschild_helnwein.jpg

Gottfried Helnwein. Sunday's Child
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Helnwein also did a reworking of Nighthawks..

Nighthawks-480x261.jpg

10008888.jpg
  • I remember searching for that painting for fucking ages when I thought a film was referencing it. Found it years later, by which time I'd forgotten what film it was it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Glengarry Glen Ross?
  • Haven't seen it. It's been on my list for a while. It was probably just a diner with a big window but it got me thinking.
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • 100 internet currencies to g.man for ultimate win.

An early performance from R2D2 there too.
  • I can't find Beano's art thread so I'll post this here. Saw this at Tate Liverpool the other day. It's the size of a postcard but this and another Ed Wadsworth one blew my socks clean off.

P07119_10.jpg
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    I can't find Beano's art thread so I'll post this here. Saw this at Tate Liverpool the other day. It's the size of a postcard but this and another Ed Wadsworth one blew my socks clean off.

Falls right into the "I like it but I don't know why" category. Like most art, if I'm honest.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • There's a documentary on Abstraction tonight (Monday) on BBC Four presented by Matthew Collings. Matthew Collings is not only the best person at making documentaries on kinds of art, but also, these days, quite extraordinarily well bearded:

qFHU4yX.jpg

Maybe if you had a beard like him then you would be presenting a documentary on Abstraction tonight (Monday) on BBC Four, but you do not so you are not, but you can still watch it should you so wish.
  • That Muecke thing was great, and the execution painting genuinely bothered me, she looks so lost

I'm going to be a bit of a sellout here and link a few things from dA, first an artist ive always liked, socar:

The_Sea_Rat_by_socar.jpg

And i dunno why I liked this one so much and it's terribly mundane so apologies but:

my_shelter_by_paperheadman-d6mvzau.jpg
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Have you not posted them before, or something liek them?  Same artist?  I know the rat one and I'd swear that style in the second is familiar.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Also it's evocative and moody, not mundane.
  • Mueck made and voiced Ludo in Labyrinth is a fact I recently learned.
  • Skerret wrote:
    Have you not posted them before, or something liek them?  Same artist?  I know the rat one and I'd swear that style in the second is familiar.

oh yep i stick socar stuff wherever i can aha, i hope for a day i can afford that sea rat to be tattooed large and lovely and probably seen by very few

i agree on the second its just much of the art here is a bit out there and i obv love that stuff but i'm really enjoying very easy pure lovely-to-look-at art lately, not trying to read it or it being necessary to read anything into anything, just the image make you feel good. that pic much like the artist relates, is his safe place, its where stuffs alright, and its painted perfectly with that in mind
  • Tis the manliest of manly beards. I wants one.

Do like his docs/art writing approach in that he keeps unnecessary jargon to a minimum while also attempting to bring some humour to what can be a very stodgy and serious arena.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!