regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Buy it because there's comedy things going on with it. Theres the "who gets the upgrades picks" at the end - whoever gets highest score gets first pick.

It'll be as dumb as zelda and as fun if we play as a team. Hell, playing with other people even made Dead Island tolerable.
  • Is it OK to be considered a squad player then?  It'd make me feel better knowing that dipping in and out won't hinder the enjoyment of the other players.  Is Moot playing this week YES/NO, shall we play anyway YES.  From what I've read everyone's stat levels need to be similar for certain parts of this game, so for Nina and myself swapping places might not even work too smoothly.  I'm not sure how feasible a 'you lot go on without me this week' stance would be after some of the things I've read in reviews.  Crayon?  Retro?  Is my trepidation raining on the Metroid parade?  Am I the only player not super psyched?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oh aye. Ill sp as well anyway
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'll be regular I'd reckon. Monday night multiplayer works well on 3DS for me.
  • At least it can be played without the max number of players involved.  You're gradually hauling me back in.
  • This wasn't an ASK ME TO STAY btw, I still wish I'd never agreed in the first place.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Dude - don't buy it if you don't want it, don't want you to be miserable!
  • I don't want my miserablism to impact on the cheeriness, when a game is online centric welching on a session can leave people in the lurch.  I'll probably be more flakey with this than I was with Zelda but enough negativity from me - if it's OK with the online crew for me to not be an essential cog in the space adventure I'm in.  I can be Colm Meaney.

Good chat.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Classic Moot. Fucked it for everyone.
  • I already said I was the Meaney.  Why don't you join us on our adventure?
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I'll be regular I'd reckon. Monday night multiplayer works well on 3DS for me.
    Monday should be good to go, it has been Mohan for the last couple of months / maybe for a year already, but 2 is not enough to grind G rank.

Just a shame the only 2 3ds games I want on release date get released just before my wedding (Mohan) and holiday (Metroid) so I'm out for September 12th. Hate waiting to jump into a game late, but people tell me I need to get priorities right.
    All other Mondays should be good.
  • Metroid sells bobbins in Japan
    Spoiler:
    though right?

I thought the monster hunter tube multiplayer would have nudged it to some success but I guess they also tried the formula with tri force heroes.
  • I didn't want to piss on chips but after reading the Polygon review and watching some of their gameplay I thought this looked god awful.

Polygon conceded that it would be fun with friends but only because most things can be made to be so. Therefore they didn't factor that into the score and instead judged the game on its merits, which I think is fair enough.
  • regmcfly wrote:

The year Metroid and Star Fox died only to ever be seen in Smash Bros from here on.

As much as I like Nintendo their first party library is fucking bleak compared to the N64 days.

and yes I did say N64, SNES was a better console but as far as first party output goes I think they peaked in the mid to late 90s.

Funnily enough the only game really missing was Metroid, probably not the thread to make this statement, but there you go.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • They've not had a clue what to do with Metroid for years.
  • It is frustrating that the second tier IPs become test subjects for gimmicks while there will always be a pure Mario and Zelda released.

Then we get the excuse that they sell better. Well of course they do, they kept the core gameplay that made them so popular in the past.

I have nearly bought Star Fox Zero a few times now but I just know the controls will lead to a broken controller.
    This game is Metroid in name, has some of the visual cues but totally ignores what makes Metroid great.
  • This game is Metroid in name, has some of the visual cues but totally ignores what makes Metroid great.

True but the same could be said for Mario Kart, Links Crossbow Challenge etc.

This does have a spin off vibe to it, unlike Other M which was a risk that the majority of fans rejected.

Thing is its no wonder Nintendo are so reluctant to fuck with the Zelda, Pokemon and Mario formulas, like you said the experimental approaches to second tier games often ends badly.

People moaning about the Zelda blueprint and z-targetting don't know how lucky they are.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, Nintendo should just make a Metroid like Super and a Star Fox like 64.

Leave the new ideas to new IPs, it worked wonders with Splatoon.

If Federation Force was its own thing it might not be getting so much hate.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It feels like this could/should have been Splatoon 3DS. The party vibe of Splatoon would suit far better than Metroid.

Yeah, I can accept this is a spin off, although it still looks like Metroid Prime Hunters, unlike Mario Kart which is quite obviously not a platformer.

Star Fox is inexcusable. By all means try the new controller system but it was very, very clear from its first E3 showing that the controls were junk. At that point they should have ditched them entirely or made the game work with or without the new control scheme.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    They've not had a clue what to do with Metroid for years.

Metroid Prime HD for NX would be a start.

Fuck it, Metroid Prime 4 for Wii U should have been a no brainer.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I hope they make a Metroid for NX that somehow takes the best of Super and Prime.

Maybe full 3D graphics but on a 2D plane for the main game with the bosses in 3D?

Just go all out for the fans, if it don't sell then we can be blamed but just give us the game we want.

Same for Star Fox. An online F-Zero or failing that a remake of literally any of them to save on time designing courses.

See if there's any life left in these franchises.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I know exactly what they should do with Metroid.
    Approach the guys that did that Metroid 2 remake.

Offer to release it on Nintendo hardware, pay them to make some exclusive levels and a very small percentage of sales.
    Sell it as a download and as a big box with amiibo and a guidebook like big box Super Metroid had.

If sales go well get the team on another 2D Metroid.
  • Don't care about this.  I'm playing through Super Metroid on my Vita, for the first time!

Then I'll finish up AM2R and investigate playing Fusion on the Vita.

That's all I need for Metroid.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    An online F-Zero or failing that a remake of literally any of them to save on time designing courses. See if there's any life left in these franchises.

F-Zero X HD Online. Problem solved.
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    I'm playing through Super Metroid on my Vita, for the first time!

So the new emulation gubbins works well, then? I've been pondering a PS TV for this very reason.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Yup, it's running at full speed so definitely recommended. Dpad on oled vita is awesome so that's my preference over pc with 360 pad now.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    F-Zero X HD Online. Problem solved.

Would definitely be choice of remakes too.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yeah an F-Zero X with the DD features. Tasty.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    They've not had a clue what to do with Metroid for years.
    Metroid Prime HD for NX would be a start. Fuck it, Metroid Prime 4 for Wii U should have been a no brainer.
    Chances are they would've fucked that up anyway. 3 was already showing signs of not really getting it.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    Yup, it's running at full speed so definitely recommended. Dpad on oled vita is awesome so that's my preference over pc with 360 pad now.

How simple is it to do?  I've lost sound on one JXD tablet speaker and I need a definitive play-all handheld for the retro club.  PSP is pretty good but rarely excellent for retroing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!