PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Crimson and Clover
  • Of course it looks ostensibly prettier, pretty pointless to argue otherwise. But I wish they would have invested some time in playtesting - specifically the god damn awful autosave feature, or distinct lack of it in ME1.

Just spent ages on a rather lengthy Mako section, 3 enemy checkpoints where you have to get out, lower the bridge controls etc. Then by the time I got to the last one, I am one-shotted by some rocket Geth, which sends me all the way back to the start, despite the fact I've just cleared 3 checkpoint areas. Was there a single autosave on one of them? No. I swore very loudly, scaring the elderly neighbours upstairs, and then turned it off in disgust.

Yes, I f****** know you can save at any time.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’ve been caught out like that a few times.  Even loading into a new area often doesn’t autosave.
    Get schwifty.
  • https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-mass-effect-legendary-edition-tested-on-next-gen-consoles

Ok I'm nearly certain I'm back in.. it's getting blanket coverage all over the gaming press and I really need to get stuck into something that's going to make me want to play.
    The Forum Herald™
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    I’ve been caught out like that a few times.  Even loading into a new area often doesn’t autosave.

I just regularly save after early on walking into the guys rooms in the Citadel and not spotting the turrets that killed me instantly. As I've said, I have a bad memory!
  • Heh, yeah those turrets hit like a truck.

Managed to polish off ME1 last night. All side quests done except the collection ones, full paragon including getting all options when talking to Saren. Also made one whole different choice this time, and chose to let Boring McBoringson live for once. 5/6 play throughs of ME from me, and this is the first time he’s survived.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Wow, and I thought I was caning the game. I’ve done most of the assignments, including all the collection ones, so it’ll be time soon to get back to the main story.

Also, there should be a special place in hell for who ever came up with the planet terrain algorithm.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Also, there should be a special place in hell for who ever came up with the planet terrain algorithm.

I see you wanna scan some metals. Go ahead, it’s just in the middle of this mountain range...
  • digi wrote:
    54 quid for a ten year old game wtf
    Remember the ribbing shadow of the Colossus got for losing its atmosphere with shiny new graphics. This just looks flat and boxy and I loved the originals. I also think the originals look better. I think this needed a lot more work done on it tbh, But glad some folks are reliving there nostalgia pangs.
    Yes I agree entirely. TECHNICALLY ME Leg looks better but it has lost a lot of charm. Again I say, it needs bloom reintroduced. Here is a poor example: 
    witcher-bloom-onoff.jpg
    In original ME it was used extensively, it gave a really nice cyberpunky vibe to interiors. 
    This is another example of Shadow of the Colossus IMO.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Don't make me start posting screenshots of my remastered ME1 when I'm out riding my Mako enjoying a bloom free sunrise over an alien vista. Because I will if I have to.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I’ve caved
    The Forum Herald™
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Good man.
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m really into it now. It’s such a great setting. I weep when I think of Andromeda.
  • Add me as someone who prefers the look of the original. The lighting/contrast and ambient music accounted for a significant amount of the atmosphere.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I’m really into it now. It’s such a great setting. I weep when I think of Andromeda.
    man alive they fucked that up royally.
    I didn't get more than a few hours in
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    Add me as someone who prefers the look of the original. The lighting/contrast and ambient music accounted for a significant amount of the atmosphere.
    There are dozens of us dot gif
  • regmcfly wrote:
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    Add me as someone who prefers the look of the original. The lighting/contrast and ambient music accounted for a significant amount of the atmosphere.
    There are dozens of us dot gif

It’s a shame as there’s been some really nice visual updates - the texture work on clothes and also alien skin is just incredible. But the feel and colour grading is just...not there.

Less of an issue in 2 and not sure about 3 as I’m not there yet, but 1 does suffer.
  • The shift in character and story tone from 1 to 2 is hilarious as well. They really, really wanna be Empire Strikes Back but that basically amounts to copying the colour palate from the carbonate chamber and a Kerrang magazine dialogue edge.

Even Paragon Shep is dripping in Nu Metal attitude. Which then makes the swings to “looking forward to working together” even more (unintentionally) amusing. Love it.
  • What cinty is saying is, Bioware's always been shit, we were just too stupid to realise it.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I think it looks nice .. decided I won’t be able to go renegade so I’ve gone femshep to mix it up a bit
    The Forum Herald™
  • What cinty is saying is, Bioware's always been shit, we were just too nu metal to realise it.
    *Dyes soul patch red*
  • I have this, Returnal to get on with and Resi to start...and I can’t stop playing this when I have any time...
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    I think it looks nice .. decided I won’t be able to go renegade so I’ve gone femshep to mix it up a bit

FemShep is best Shep.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yeeehaaaaww!  Now let’s blow this thing and go home!  [Completed Virmire]

You’re a better man than I am, Cinty.  I just couldn’t do it.
    Get schwifty.
  • Genuine question for those who think this remake looks 'flat': can you really remember what the original game looked like? Because, you know, it was released over 13 years ago, two whole generations have gone by since.

Because I bloody can't!
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Genuine question for those who think this remake looks 'flat': can you really remember what the original game looked like? Because, you know, it was released over 13 years ago, two whole generations have gone by since. Because I bloody can't!
    Youtube comparison videos my friend.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It’s a thing some have latched onto and are determined to make a thing of.  I’m ignoring it.  It’s a superb remaster and we’re lucky to have it.
    Get schwifty.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Genuine question for those who think this remake looks 'flat': can you really remember what the original game looked like? Because, you know, it was released over 13 years ago, two whole generations have gone by since. Because I bloody can't!

It had a very specific aesthetic and colour tone, plus the lighting / contrast was a whole thing. Plus, replayed it several times over the years. Beyond that, when it was inveiled that actually did a side-by-side. Some areas of the game (in fact, many) have improved pretty dramatically - the word done on skin and textures is really, really good. But other areas have lost sth.
    Raiziel wrote:
    It’s a thing some have latched onto and are determined to make a thing of.  I’m ignoring it.  It’s a superb remaster and we’re lucky to have it.

I think that's a little unfair. I'm playing and enjoying the Remaster as I have played and enjoyed the originals over the years. It's fine to look at how sth has been upscaled and adapted, and to be critical or picky about things you don't like about it, while still engaging with the rest and, overall, still enjoying yourself. 

I'm glad it got an "all content included, now in 4K" deal. Overall, I think they did a really good job. I also have some issues with it - some due to how the games have aged, others due to changes made in the remastering process.

Edit:

Aware the above may come off as confrontational but it’s not intended as such. I’m actually enjoying going back over the ME games a lot and the differences are something I like looking at and critiquing. I’m glad this package exists.
  • Yes you are right we are lucky to have it. Its an amazing package. But those small differences in lighting can make a big difference in mood and atmosphere. The SOTC remake is a perfect example. The removal of much of the fog actually impacted the game quite strongly for many. 
    Same for me in ME Leg. Its not a deal breaker though by any means, just something Id love to see patched.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!