Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Some parts of The Guard were great, some misfired a bit. I haven't seen In Bruges.
  • Some parts of In Bruges are great, some are also great. I haven't seen The Guard.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I preferred The Guard as it was all about the Gleeson. In Bruges was great but he was sharing time with Farrell and Fiennes. More Gleeson = More better
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Strippers v Werewolves tomorrow.

Holy shit it'll be awesome.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Wes Anderson film fest starts tonight.

BOTTLE ROCKET HO
  • You missed Harold & Maude lol
  • Chalk up another fan of The Guard here. Gleeson's 'all babies look the same' diatribe is a favourite.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    This popped up as a poster on one of my go to sites:

ZkrDX.jpg
    It's on IMDB so it's official. Jesus Christ.
  • Just watched Final Destination 5 with the fiance. I have to say, I really enjoyed it. Whilst I would never say it was a particularly well-made film, it was a laugh. The deaths were suitably tense and cringe-worthy and it had a very nice link to one of the other films in the series at the end.

The end montage of kills from all five films was also a nice touch.

The definition of a guilty pleasure.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It's the best of the series, but I love all 5 really.

As you say, guilty pleasures.
  • It's the best of the series, but I love all 5 really. As you say, guilty pleasures.

Best 3D along with Piranha too. The boat mast skewer made me jump out of the way, much to the enjoyment of the guy beside me
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • I have to say, during the film there were a couple of points where I thought it would look great in 3D, definately that mast bit. Very gimmiky (when isn't it) but it would of been fun.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • I've got a soft spot for Final Destination 3. Or maybe just Mary Elizabeth Winstead, I dunno.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The Guard is better than In Bruges. You fools.
  • You're wrong but that's because you're a cow so we forgive you, because we're going to eat your flesh.
  • Shut up, mentalist.
  • I'm off to see Dark Shadows tonight.  I haven't liked a Tim Burton film for probably 20 years now but the missus wants to see it.
  • Just watched Chronicle.

So it's basically Akira with a splash of Carrie. Good stuff I suppose, although the found footage thing was unnecessary and has been far too overused now. 

Like Cloverfield, there really needs to be no sequel.

7.5 angsty teens out of 10.

Also Ghost Protocol which I thought was rubbish, although that's mainly due to being part of a completely redundant franchise rather than this one being a particularly bad instalment. Least Tom has manned up a bit since the whiney, teary wuss he was in 3. 

Sad to see Brad Bird go from Pixar greatness to this generic shit. 

And yeah, Tyrannosaur's great.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • JRPC wrote:
    Just watched Chronicle.

So it's basically Akira with a splash of Carrie. Good stuff I suppose, although the found footage thing was unnecessary and has been far too overused now.

Just an excuse to mask the budget SFX which I think it did well.
  • Tempy wrote:
    JRPC wrote:
    Just watched Chronicle. So it's basically Akira with a splash of Carrie. Good stuff I suppose, although the found footage thing was unnecessary and has been far too overused now.
    Just an excuse to mask the budget SFX which I think it did well.

Oh fair enough then, sure. 

But then there's something like Monsters which is a way better film with a similar 'realistic' take on a genre movie and I'd imagine a much smaller budget. 

Less effects, admittedly.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Yep, Monsters had a pockey money budget of $500mil whereas Chronicle was $15mil.

Like you say, more emphasis on the special effects in Chronicle, I thought they were really great. Did well at the box office too, made nearly 10 times what it cost which is nice for a film that came out of nowhere like that.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Yep, Monsters had a pockey money budget of $500mil whereas Chronicle was $15mil. Like you say, more emphasis on the special effects in Chronicle, I thought they were really great. Did well at the box office too, made nearly 10 times what it cost which is nice for a film that came out of nowhere like that.

$500,000
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Whoops, I meant that baby, you know that.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I've got to say, the special features bit on the DVD showing how he did all the clever bits of sign replacement and the like was more interesting than the actual film.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Whoops, I meant that baby, you know that.

I know sweetie, come here, let me make it allll better
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Dark Shadows.  It's pretty much a run of the mill, mediocre Tim Burton film.

Reminded me of Cowboys and Aliens in that it was utterly forgettable from the moment it finished.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I watched Monsters the other week on Netflix. It was good, not amaze but still a worthwhile watch. Bit heavy handed on the metaphor and rather too soppy at the end but hey.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The Lazarus Project.  With a title like that I was expecting B movie shite.  Big surprise.  Really enjoyed it, and Paul Walker gives a fine, understated performance.  Excellent score too.
    Get schwifty.
  • Hara Kiri, Miike's new one popped through the post box today.
    Loved 13 Assassins so hoping for something of that standard
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!