Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Bond should be either ridicous and camp, or cold war spy.
  • Belko experiment.
    Spoiler:

2/6 stars.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Get Out
    Yet another film hyped beyond its means. The horror aspect is middling, bar a couple of earlier stand out moments. The lead and Keener are good. Its an average popcorn flick, all told.
    Spoiler:

Its also chock full of plot holes, it feels more thriller than horror and despite the solid opening 45 and the cliche as fuck best mate, it shites the bed completely in the latter half.

If Shyamalan had made this, it'd be lolled out the park.

[5]
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I marshalled several thousand bike riders past one of the massive light rigging cranes for Infinity War on Edinburgh's Royal Mile earlier on this afternoon.
  • Logan was not bad. It's a nice take on the genre and makes for a good tonal shift. It's too long though, and takes very predictable turns towards the end. Plus it needs better villains.
  • Skull Island has tons of really fun monsters and colourful set pieces in but I am desperately trying to find some kind of sequences of events or hook to keep me invested but it just seems to be random and colourfel scenes thrown together. Like they came up with lots of shots and sequences first, and then tried to string a narrative around them. That's how they wrote Rogue One as well.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Brie Larson's tits. There's your hook.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I can't find a gif of the fishing hook scene from There's Something About Mary, but let's just pretend I did and then posted it here. Cheers.
  • Excellent. 

Anyway, nice and colourful and lots of monsters but I don't think they had any idea where they wanted to take that story. I couldn't tell you the name of a single character. Although I am very tired so that might have something to do with that too.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Nah, they were pretty irrelevant to the whole show. I agree that it was just an excuse for some mad scenes, but it worked a whole lot better here than Rogue One did. Probably my expectations going in to both were different.

I was expecting a boring shitfest in the mold of the most recent Godzilla going into Kong and was pleasantly surprised by how fun it was.
  • three1ne wrote:
    10 mins into I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House.

Netflix Original. Delicious so far.

Anyone seen?

Been meaning to. Sounded interesting
  • I liked both the recent Godzilla and Rogue One (which I watched again last week and enjoyed again) - so there you go. I also watched Fantastic Beasts again and also enjoyed it. So that there's the news.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I watched Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children over the weekend. Fucking dark for a kid’s film, isn’t it?

Quite an impressive cast too. Eva Green was her amazing self, Judi Dench likewise. Samuel L Jackson went full cartoon. Not a bad way to spend a couple of hours. Pleasant.

(Fantastic Beasts was the better film though, so wins the title of ‘top kids movie 2016’.)
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Holy shit the first trailer for Lily Aminpour's new movie is out and it's full on wtf. Summary for When Verecochas Ruled The Earth The Bad Batch below -
    Suki Waterhouse, Jason Momoa, Giovanni Ribisi, and Keanu Reeves star in this post-apocalyptic future set tale about a young woman who falls in with a group of savage and gym body-obsessed cannibals in the Texas wastelands. The film opens on June 23rd.

Trailer -

https://youtu.be/4aJeVSMaf20

VERECOCHAS ASSEMBLE!!!!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That looks like Zack Snyder levels of utter shit.
  • Question about the recent space movie LIFE.
    There is a suggestion that the movie is a
    Spoiler:
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Nah, that was a 'wouldn't it be cool if it was' interview response from the makers of the movie, but no real intent to do that.
    Things can only get better.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Moana. Just wonderful. The chicken stole the show.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Excellent. 

Anyway, nice and colourful and lots of monsters but I don't think they had any idea where they wanted to take that story. I couldn't tell you the name of a single character. Although I am very tired so that might have something to do with that too.

I felt the same. Was rooting for the monsters.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I watched Now You See Me 2 with my wife last night as she was feeling poorly. It is as dumb as a bag of hammers. I was amiable to the goofiness but it's not a good film. Felt the same about the first.

In other news, GOTG2 reviews are dropping. Only read 3-4 of the big ones but it seems that everyone is saying exactly the same thing -
    Spoiler:

Reviews - http://www.metacritic.com/movie/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2
  • I liked some of the monsters but not the Skull Crawlers (although that line delivery was a highlight)

Moana was also good, I agree.

I watched Logan as well last night. My only minor issue is that there's a bit of a lull in the pacing before the final act but that's a pretty minor sin.

It is nice having time to watch shit again. I think between the film festival and handing in my dissertation I watched one film.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    Moana. Just wonderful. The chicken stole the show.

I think the songs in that movie are amazing
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Indeed. Going to watch again this weekend with Mrs Pea. My lad absolutely adored it.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Looked amazeballs in 3D, particularly the water.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Tempy wrote:
    It is nice having time to watch shit again. I think between the film festival and handing in my dissertation I watched one film.

I meant to say over on Twitter – the Film Festival are banging on about wanting applicants now for the student reviewer/ambassador roles in 2017. I reckon you probably still qualify, by having been a student part of the year (and still being one until you get your certificate etc).

Best thing about it would be industry contacts, I think. You get assigned a mentor.
  • Aye I saw that, I am going to apply for the Edinburgh Film Festival one for sure, find it weird that you have to put your age on it though.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Here's some glorious idiocy - Mark Hamill doing the voice of Han Solo on a Bad Lip Reading. Makes the movie so much better.

https://youtu.be/Sv_hGITmNuo
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Here's some glorious idiocy - Mark Hamill doing the voice of Han Solo on a Bad Lip Reading. Makes the movie so much better. https://youtu.be/Sv_hGITmNuo
    Amazing.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!