Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Looks like there's a good film hiding in there somewhere. Except for that awful cg alien.
  • Spoiler:

Kinda fitting you watched it on the day Demme died
    Spoiler:
  • Stuff like Rings and new alien movies just show that we really should get bored of things quicker.
  • Unfortunately even morbid curiosity seems to get bums in seats still.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'll have to rewatch Silence to remind myself of that Temps, and there's a perfect reason to.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    pantyfire wrote:
    Wtf is going on? Why the covenant prequel stuff?
    I guess they've got a shit story to tell, and not enough time to tell it in the cinema.

They're going for the anti-trailer, put all the shit bits and the trailer and save the good stuff for the film. Bold.
  • Unfortunately even morbid curiosity seems to get bums in seats still.
    I admit to still watching a lot of it (even Rings, which of course was bollocks), but I basically don't pay for it.

At some point the new alien thing will turn up in the dodgy DVD shop down the road and I'll say 'Ah, might as well watch it then.'

And it'll be shit.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I still stand by Kow (is it Kow) that Prometheus is solid trash.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It looked nice.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Alien Convenant can't be worse than Prometheus, it just can't be.
  • After Aliens the only way it should have gone was Earth Hive, as a total epic apocalypse war film to cap off the trilogy's scale escalation.

That's the problem with ongoing continuity - no one's ever happy just telling anthology tales from the fiction; they always feel the need to make it "our heroes save the world/ galaxy/ universe/ multiversal planar reality" blah blah blah.
    Bah, just sing the song, just tell the tale that needs to be told and trim the rest of the bloat away.
  • g.man wrote:
    pantyfire wrote:
    Wtf is going on? Why the covenant prequel stuff?
    I guess they've got a shit story to tell, and not enough time to tell it in the cinema.
    They're going for the anti-trailer, put all the shit bits and the trailer and save the good stuff for the film. Bold.
    Jeez. Ok so they write themselves into a sequel corner then write themselves out of that commitment with 30 seconds of a trailer. genius.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I still stand by Kow (is it Kow) that Prometheus is solid trash.

If by that you mean great, then yes.
  • Great pile of trash
  • I just watched Fast & Furious 8. Now that is a great pile of trash. Prometheus is just shit.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    I'm starting to get a really bad feeling about this...

G, would you say the above is just a long trailer or separate from the actual movie?

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • It's stitched together from several different things they've released so far, but I'm betting a lot of it isn't in the film.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Watched Captain America: Civil War bluray last night.
    Been looking forward to seeing this at the Cappy Murca films tend to be alright, but this one was a major disappointment for me.
    While the overall concept is decent, it's execution is a painful muddle in the film. 
    Spent the first hour and a half with very little idea what was actually going on, then when it finally started to make a little sense it just resorted to the old staple of super people punching each other.
    Thought the shoehorning in of Spiderman was terrible. Aunt May is now a hot milf wtf? and having him be Stark's biatch was a retcon too far for me.
    It relied terribly on previous knowledge of the Marvel Ciniverse, and while I've seen virtually all of those films, their plots don't stick in the memory.
    Ant Man (haven't seen his film yet) baffled me, until he turned into Ant Man I had no idea who this guy even was and they don't introduce him properly.
    I actually thought War Machine and Flying Black Man were the same character, so was pretty confused that they were two different people in this film. Still don't know who Flying Black Man is?
    Then there's this other really black guy and he's new, but we're not going to tell you who he is either so we'll just call him Black Power Man. *shrugs*
    Had no idea who the superbad guy at the start was who had some sort of robot fist power, or indeed what he was all about, because you never see him again.
    Didn't know who the main villain of the piece was meant to be, and he was (as is usual for Marvel films) a piss-weak villain.

bit of a hot mess really

g.man
  • g.man wrote:
    It relied terribly on previous knowledge of the Marvel Ciniverse, and while I've seen virtually all of those films, their plots don't stick in the memory.

This is what’s killed the main Marvel movies for me. I seem to be holding all the past plot points in my head okay, but fuck explaining them all to Mrs Poprock every time we try to watch a Marvel flick. She didn’t see all the older films and quite rightly had no fucking clue what was going on in Age of Ultron. She switched it off halfway through.

Thing is, when I do try to explain who’s who and why, it makes me acutely aware of how stupid it all sounds. That puts me off enjoying the film as much as it puts her off wanting to carry on.

Still going to go see Guardians of the Galaxy 2 next week, but I worry that the big Avengers cross over for Infinity War that comes after it will be shit.
  • g.man wrote:
    Watched Captain America: Civil War bluray last night.
    Been looking forward to seeing this at the Cappy Murca films tend to be alright, but this one was a major disappointment for me.
    While the overall concept is decent, it's execution is a painful muddle in the film. 
    Spent the first hour and a half with very little idea what was actually going on, then when it finally started to make a little sense it just resorted to the old staple of super people punching each other.
    Thought the shoehorning in of Spiderman was terrible. Aunt May is now a hot milf wtf? and having him be Stark's biatch was a retcon too far for me.
    Ant Man (haven't seen his film yet) baffled me, until he turned into Ant Man I had no idea who this guy even was and they don't introduce him properly.
    I actually thought War Machine and Flying Black Man were the same character, so was pretty confused that they were two different people in this film. Still don't know who Flying Black Man is?
    Then there's this other really black guy and he's new, but we're not going to tell you who he is either so we'll just call him Black Power Man. *shrugs*
    Had no idea who the superbad guy at the start was who had some sort of robot fist power, or indeed what he was all about, because you never see him again.
    Didn't know who the main villain of the piece was meant to be, and he was (as is usual for Marvel films) a piss-weak villain.

bit of a hot mess really

g.man

Agree with all that.

The movie got great reviews when it came out and I really couldn't see why - I thought it was incredibly messy, as well as awkwardly paced and plotted.

I hated Spider-Man and that whole part. Ant Man I liked, but I didn't think his appearance in this movie was earned at all - it just seemed like throwing another body in for one scene, just for one gag.

And the central conflict and final confrontation just didn't carry any weight. It just seemed like a movie designed for TENSION and CONFLICT and BETRAYAL and TWISTS, but thought that having iron man be angry with Captain America was enough to earn it.

Duff.
  • Ref Aunt May being a milf.
    To be fair this Spiderman is a teenager, a more reasonable age for Aunt May would be her 40s.
    The 98 year old version was always a bit off.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You still would though.
  • Ref Aunt May being a milf.
    To be fair this Spiderman is a teenager, a more reasonable age for Aunt May would be her 40s.
    The 98 year old version was always a bit off.

I didn't mind the milfness.

I just thought it was a really badly written, try-hard mess of a scene full of overacting and "comical" gestures.
  • Yeah that's fair, I mean it is a superhero film.
  • You still would though.
    98 year old or mi...

Fuck it, yeah.
  • i started watching Age of Ultron the other day and thought it was pish and turned it off.  I'm not poprock's wife either!

There's just too many superheroes, always having super fights, and so little sense of genuine threat.  If everyone is 'super' then really no one seems super.

It's a bit like the TV series Heroes - I really enjoyed the first series, when it seemed the heroes were few and it was interesting to see how they coped individually...then suddenly every fucker has some kind of superpower and it all seemed a bit pointless
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Aye, Ultron was pish. Think it's fair to say Marvel are well into their Diminishing Returns phase.
  • I've got Ant Man still to Watch on bluray. Hear that one is alright.
  • I think that is why Marvel are angling everything towards the space stuff.
    Bigger villains with bigger threats.
    Fisticuffs at an airport is fisticuffs at a bunker is fisticuffs on a rooftop.

I thought Dr Strange was good in that respect, it did more than just punchy McPunchface.
  • Also watched Doctor Strange on the plane. Mind-bending visuals aside, didn't think it was much cop either, but inoffensive overall.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!