Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message

b0r1s wrote:
    Haven't seen it. Should I?

It's all gone Pete Tong.

Yeah, it's Paul Kaye playing a similar kind of character, it's probably a bit deeper than Blackball but not much.
    Ibiza DJ superstar, all goes wrong in his prime.
    Especially funny if you were into or aware of 90s dance music.

Plus, it has this guy in it.

G4wkQgj.gif[img]
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Syph79 wrote:
    Wall e needs to be kicked into the dustbin or belongs in.

Nooooooo

The first half of Wall-e is pretty much a perfect movie.

This is the worst part of all gif collection movies.
  • The world needs a Dennis Pennis now, he would have destroyed these fake celebs like the Kardashians.
    If by 'destroyed' you mean 'said a mean thing to them that they would've forgotten about 2 minutes later'.

Better to ignore them.
  • Gamermike wrote:
    10 mins of UP (the rest is average)

YES.

Up is like three different movies.

The intro is heartbreaking Oscar material. The dog/squirrel gag is hilarious. The rest is crap.
  • Also yeah, Paul Kaye is amazing.

Yep. He’s even good in Game of Thrones.

It’s All Gone Pete Tong is a brilliant film. Ridiculous and sublime. One of those movies I love but I’m never confident recommending to others – like I’m not convinced everyone will dig it.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    All three Toy Storys, Incredibles, Ratatouille and Cars, they'd all make the top of my list. I genuinely love Cars, may have something to do with it being watched on DVD on repeat by my toddler twins endlessly. Cars 2 is the only Pixar movie I'd consider to be a complete dud.
    Things can only get better.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Toy Story trilogy is great family entertainment.

I was forced to watch Cars in the cinema. I didn't mind it that much as I liked how its universe was created even though the story was hackneyed. The sequel was a mess.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The Little Prince trumps all of Pixar's efforts.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Iron Giant was very good.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • you guys are still going despite it being a joke huh ok

Anyway, it ain't cool to rag on something you've not read but on seen excerpts of but holly shit Ready Player One looks... jesus. I hope Speilberg has found something worthwhile to salvage from it because... how does this get published. I've read stuff from our own writers here that towers above this. Someone edited this and said "ok let's sell this."

DFcnGXgXgAIJaLX.jpg
  • I don't remember that bit, but I remember enjoying Ready Player One when I read it. Seemed like a more pop-culture Snow Crash to me.

/shrug
  • Snow Crash for kids. All style and no content.

Y’know, I didn’t mind Ready Player One as a bit of trashy dumb fun. The idea of taking it seriously and building it into a movie blockbuster is awful though.
  • Ahahahaha.
    Oh dear god!

"I removed Bill Murray's face with a replica Bowie knife modelled after Dutch's from Predator, I had modded it to have the colour scheme of Aladdin Sane. I placed Murray's face over my own to create a mask 'Sssssmokin' I said to myself as I looked in the rear view mirror, my Sonic the Hedgehog plush dangling semi obscuring my view of the aircraft carrier runway. I looked to my left to see my wing man, 'I feel the need for speed' said Maverick over the radio. We shifted our X Wings into flight mode and took off for Krypton, or what was left of it."
  • That looks like something I would write.
  • Ay I did put the caveat of saying it's not great to single out segments. The other bit I've read is where he reads his list of research out, that just so happens to be exclusive white and male, thus eliminating huge swathes of the canon of sci-fi and 80s music and film, before going on to fetishize Ukelele playing girls on youtube. 

Not wrong in and of itself, there are plenty of people like that in the world so it makes a fine template for a character, but everything I've read about it seems to suggest none of this sets up anything meaningful, like pointing out how this kind of behaviour is fairly rife and actually pretty fuckin' bad. 

I've now decided to grab it from the library so I can read it and see if people are being overly harsh towards it, but it doesn't seem that way. Even Neal Stephenson with all his gauche commercial culture references was at least batting for equality back in Snow Crash, understanding, and knew the dangers of turning into a drone for this stuff.
  • poprock wrote:
    Snow Crash for kids. All style and no content. Y’know, I didn’t mind Ready Player One as a bit of trashy dumb fun. The idea of taking it seriously and building it into a movie blockbuster is awful though.

Most importantly for kids who likely didn't grow up with that shit. It's that comic where the dad is forcefully shoving his childhood pop culture into the face of his baby saying "LIKE WHAT I LIKED"
  • poprock wrote:
    Snow Crash for kids. All style and no content. Y’know, I didn’t mind Ready Player One as a bit of trashy dumb fun. The idea of taking it seriously and building it into a movie blockbuster is awful though.
    Surely making it into a blockbuster movie is the entire opposite of "taking it seriously".
    Y'know, transformers and stuff. Not exactly serious, amirite?

Oh yeah, and they did films of Dan Brown and that Fifty Shades thing, so, there's that.
  • Ahahahaha. Oh dear god! "I removed Bill Murray's face with a replica Bowie knife modelled after Dutch's from Predator, I had modded it to have the colour scheme of Aladdin Sane. I placed Murray's face over my own to create a mask 'Sssssmokin' I said to myself as I looked in the rear view mirror, my Sonic the Hedgehog plush dangling semi obscuring my view of the aircraft carrier runway. I looked to my left to see my wing man, 'I feel the need for speed' said Maverick over the radio. We shifted our X Wings into flight mode and took off for Krypton, or what was left of it."

That's from Armada right?
  • Hollywood, guy, just make me a Horus Heresy film. Service my childhood you fucks.
  • Yeah they have me on screen righting duties for the sequel.
    I'm using a washing machine and a sack of ping pong balls with pop culture references written on them.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been a Warhammer film already, TBH. Hollywood has sucked the marrow out of every other piece of IP in existence.
  • Ready Player One is absolutely a goldmine for Hollywood. ’80s nostalgia, teenage hero, cis-het whitewashing of the retro fetishism, VR marketing tie-in potential, and a teenage love interest who embodies the ‘other’ so they can cast one non-white character while still appeasing the manbabies (because she’s essentially treated as a prize for the hero to win).

There is a point to the book – it wants to be a teenage fable about how VR lets you be whoever you want to be. How the outsiders (the ugly, the overweight, the members of minority races/sexualities/etc) can log on and become the straight white male action hero. But it misses the question of why they would want to do that. It doesn’t question that toxic society at all. It’s a childish book that aims and misses.
  • There was a really bad 70 minutes CGI Ultramarines one, which was written by Dan Abnett who is one of the better Black Library folks. I think it's weird, because it's perhaps too niche a universe, and perhaps to esoteric and inherently bleak to make sense for casual audiences. You'd have to set it during the Heresy and follow maybe one of the Primarchs who turned or was betrayed heavily, or else it'd be 2 hours of exposition for 20 minutes of story.

Yeah they have me on screen righting duties for the sequel. I'm using a washing machine and a sack of ping pong balls with pop culture references written on them.

giphy.gif
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been a Warhammer film already, TBH.

I enjoyed the daft fan theory that Event Horizon was actually a Warhammer prequel.
  • Heresy. 

Wait, let me get some authority on that

SCIa8Im.jpg
  • Raiziel wrote:
    JRPC wrote:
    Sleepy Hollow was the turning point for me. Everything subsequent has been shit. The film itself is somewhere in between.
    Big Fish, dude.  Big Fish.  Lovely film, that.

Very under rated. I saw that not longing after losing my dad and was an absolute mess.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Tempy wrote:
    you guys are still going despite it being a joke huh ok

Anyway, it ain't cool to rag on something you've not read but on seen excerpts of but holly shit Ready Player One looks... jesus. I hope Speilberg has found something worthwhile to salvage from it because... how does this get published. I've read stuff from our own writers here that towers above this. Someone edited this and said "ok let's sell this."

DFcnGXgXgAIJaLX.jpg

The book is total trash
  • I don't remember that bit.. but the book is ok. It really drills down into 80s details.
    The Forum Herald™
  • The biggest flaw the book has is fully explaining the 80s reference before using it as a major plot device, akin to explaining a joke before telling it. There's no real talent behind it but I'm not sure it deserves the level of opprobrium it's receiving.
  • Snow Crash also sucks ftr.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!