Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • As was You Were Never Really There. Fucking special that.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • JRPC wrote:
    I continue to defend WoW. 

Its no Moon obvs, but it was I think reasonable popcorn fare. I'd take it a thousand times over a Transformers or even a Jurassic World. 

I think i've got an affinity for Jones' stuff. I didn't think Mute was the trainwreck many considered it neither.

I haven't watched all of Warcraft yet but from what I saw I thought there was quite a bit of nice direction in there. Some interesting shots and well put together sequences that were let down by a funky story and some interesting acting, especially by the main guy who seems to be taking the piss.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    three1ne wrote:
    As was You Were Never Really There. Fucking special that.

My man, fucking adore that film. Lynne Ramsey is the best
  • A Quiet Place. Enjoyed it. Felt more like Sci-Fi thriller than horror. Used my noise cancelling headphones for immersion, worked well.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Decided to have a look at the IMDb reviews of A Quiet Place. Top lols!
  • three1ne wrote:
    As was You Were Never Really There. Fucking special that.
    My man, fucking adore that film. Lynne Ramsey is the best

That's the one I was trying to think of the other day.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Decided to have a look at the IMDb reviews of A Quiet Place. Top lols!

How so?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • This is the first one I came across:
    Spoiler:
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    This is the first one I came across:
    Spoiler:

It's a shame that they didn't reason any of these (and many more) issues through when finalising the script. It could have been a lovely little film...
  • To be fair, I had exactly the same thoughts (the ones in the spoiler) while watching it. I really didn't think it worked as a premise, or wasn't properly thought through. The second half of it was still decent, because you could forget all that and just watch it unfold, but it never felt like it had a coherent logic even on its own terms.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Its a very, very dumb movie and any logic instant falls down when you take as much as a glancing look at it. The tension is utterly forced and shite throughout. Its a poor film.
  • I thought it was ace. For the whole time I was properly absorbed in the quiet and the tension and knowing there was gonna be inevitably some disaster meant the film was pretty good t keeping me on the edge of my seat and had me on its page through out.

You do have to buy into what its selling and if anything pops you out then yeah I would suspect it’s easy to dismantle.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I just like films to fit their own internal narrative/world and make some actual sense.

I can switch my brain off for clear nonsense films such as Transformers and others, but this is a film that clearly believed it was creating something fairly smart, and it fell flat on that front.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Whereas I have a 14 page document to show you on the failings of the internal logic of Transformers
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Whereas I have a 14 page document to show you on the failings of the internal logic of Transformers

Post it for me, i think there terrible and wanna confirm im right!
  • I just like films to fit their own internal narrative/world and make some actual sense.

I can switch my brain off for clear nonsense films such as Transformers and others, but this is a film that clearly believed it was creating something fairly smart, and it fell flat on that front.

I’m not entirely sure I agree that it was trying to be that clever. To me it felt like they chose what they needed to to convey what they needed to.

I mean if it was really meant to be a smart movie.
    Spoiler:

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yes because its from idiot man from Office US
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    For it's all it's 'nonsense' there were some nice touches too. Soft sand paths, sign language coms and good old human ingenuity. 
    Also didn't try to subvert expectations just to be a dick.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I just like films to fit their own internal narrative/world and make some actual sense.

Indeed. I'm bemused by how many people (including critics) seemed to accept its belief that it was fairly smart.
  • Is it on Amazon or Netflix yet?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Ghostland (aka the film that disfigured an actress):

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6195094/

Laugier's best since Martyrs. That's not to say its anything beyond serviceable as Martyrs is the first masterpiece of the genre since Angst. Mother and her two daughters move into the property left by their dead aunt only to be attacked the night they move in. Many years later the daughters reunite at the house and shit goes weird.

Some wonderful brutality in places, two very good central performances, but in general it tries a bit too hard and never really hits any great heights. It was okay.
  • This looks like conscious funtimes from AnnaPurna:

NB - checking out Director Boots Riley's music here "The Coup":  https://open.spotify.com/artist/4IvS1ZZ5nyiNMheybfx3Hf?si=PiRAErnSSG68Oej2iSH6DA
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Finally gonna watch The Godfather
  • Enjoy!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    He'll be nearly done.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    He'll be nearly done.

I watched the Bobby Robson documentary first, about half hour into The Godfather now
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    There's a Bryan Robson documentary?!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!