Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Keep seeing ads for Hotel Artemis and its making me want to see it. Charlie Day & Dave Bautista & the fucking Blum?? I'm there!

(this is where I get told its already been panned, or the director is a nonce or something)
  • I liked the first one too but this one really didn't agree with me.

@wook
  • Keep seeing ads for Hotel Artemis and its making me want to see it. Charlie Day & Dave Bautista & the fucking Blum?? I'm there!

(this is where I get told its already been panned, or the director is a nonce or something)

Pretty great cast there and the director guy hasn't done much so far so go for it.
  • I saw Incredibles 2 yesterday and enjoyed it.  It suffers by virtue of being a sequel - many of the ideas from the first are simply tweaked and represented - and it still has a slightly weird sub-text about exceptionalism which is muddied even further here.   But...  I thought it was a lot of fun, was frequently amusing, and as visually stunning as its predecessor.  Some of the set pieces are superb.

There are no surprises - the villain is obvious to anyone who has ever seen a movie before, and it arguably follows an all too familiar structure - but that's almost inevitable in what is ultimately a kids movie.  

So, yeah, not the eye opening, ground breaking surprise that the first one represented, but significantly better than I feared it would be, and my favourite super hero movie of the year so far.  (I appreciate that's faint praise to some.)
  • tin_robot wrote:
    I saw Incredibles 2 yesterday and enjoyed it.  It suffers by virtue of being a sequel - many of the ideas from the first are simply tweaked and represented - and it still has a slightly weird sub-text about exceptionalism which is muddied even further here.   But...  I thought it was a lot of fun, was frequently amusing, and as visually stunning as its predecessor.  Some of the set pieces are superb. There are no surprises - the villain is obvious to anyone who has ever seen a movie before, and it arguably follows an all too familiar structure - but that's almost inevitable in what is ultimately a kids movie.   So, yeah, not the eye opening, ground breaking surprise that the first one represented, but significantly better than I feared it would be, and my favourite super hero movie of the year so far.  (I appreciate that's faint praise to some.)

Sold. 
    I'll go to a late night screening
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Skyscraper is obvs firmly in the big daft film genre. Which is no bad thing.

If they are anywhere near Con Air, The Rock and Armageddon then I'd be in.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • So it looks like Duncan Jones is going to be making a Rogue Trooper movie...

Please be Moon/Source Code Jones and not WoW/Mute Jones...
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Even at the time I thought it was a poor story carried by great artwork. My hopes aren't high.
  • I_R wrote:
    Even at the time I thought it was a poor story carried by great artwork. My hopes aren't high.

That's fair, I think.  Though there's stuff in Rogue Trooper that could make for a great movie - the friends reduced to AI chips in your weaponry is an idea that holds more potential than I think the comic ever even capitalised on.  Moon era Jones might have been able to make the most of that.  Mute era Jones on the other hand seems more likely to run with the elements in Rogue designed to appeal primarily to teenage boys, which might not fly so well.  (I say that as seemingly the only man on Earth who thought Mute was not completely terrible.)  I reckon he's capable of nailing those visuals though.
  • JRPC wrote:
    Stopharage wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    snip
    Eh?
    I’d imagine he’s playing Drake in a forthcoming Uncharted movie. Not Canadian singer Drake obvs. Sic parvis magna - so great and so small - was in one of the games.
    Surely he's too old now and too TV to land that kind of gig?

Turns out it was just a fan film, authorised by ND tho'

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    Even at the time I thought it was a poor story carried by great artwork. My hopes aren't high.
    That's fair, I think.  Though there's stuff in Rogue Trooper that could make for a great movie - the friends reduced to AI chips in your weaponry is an idea that holds more potential than I think the comic ever even capitalised on.  Moon era Jones might have been able to make the most of that.  Mute era Jones on the other hand seems more likely to run with the elements in Rogue designed to appeal primarily to teenage boys, which might not fly so well.  (I say that as seemingly the only man on Earth who thought Mute was not completely terrible.)  I reckon he's capable of nailing those visuals though.

His AI buddies  were backback, helmet and rifle?  It's been a long time. I stopped reading 2000AD in '82-3 at around prog 300 or so I think.

The RT stories don't stick in my mind - just the idea. The sense of loneliness of the series is what struck me more than anything.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That Uncharted thing was pretty good, much better that that Hooten and the Lady crap I watched every episode of.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Some of the Rogue Trooper stories were really great, but he was an almost permanent fixture in the comic so it was bound to suffer a bit. The reboot they had sometime in the 90s was a belter.
    PlancheS_54973.jpg
  • There was one storyline in particular that I really loved but I can't remember much about it other than the art style was stark black and white (can't remember the name of the artist - not Ian Gibson) and there was a bit with razor wire.  Was gutted when they changed the artist midway through.
  • Tempy wrote:
    JRPC wrote:
    Stopharage wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    snip
    Eh?
    I’d imagine he’s playing Drake in a forthcoming Uncharted movie. Not Canadian singer Drake obvs. Sic parvis magna - so great and so small - was in one of the games.
    Surely he's too old now and too TV to land that kind of gig?

Turns out it was just a fan film, authorised by ND tho'

I liked it! Makes me want a full film with Fillion as Nate
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    His AI buddies  were backback, helmet and rifle?  It's been a long time. I stopped reading 2000AD in '82-3 at around prog 300 or so I think. The RT stories don't stick in my mind - just the idea. The sense of loneliness of the series is what struck me more than anything.

Yep - well, most of the time...  (They conveniently had names that matched their fates - Gunnar, Helm and Bagman.)   The loneliness thing is spot on too, now you mention it, and another thing that Moon era Jones ought to manage well...
  • Would far prefer a Halo Jones Jones’ adaptation than a Rogue Trooper Jones’ adaption.
  • I'd settle for a Future Shock style anthology show.
  • I recently rewatched the documentary and read the Pat Mills book about 2000AD.
    It used to drive me nuts that they would change an artist mid story but it was deliberate, Pat Mills has great praise for lots of artists who I thought, and still think are, bang average or shit. 
    SMS. He was shit. 
    Ron Smith. I fucking hate his Botox lipped Dredd. It was awful.

There is an interesting anecdote in the doc about Alan Moore and the end of Halo Jones that never and will likely ever happen which is a massive pity.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I'd recommend First Reformed. Probably best not to know too much in advance.
  • I really want to see that.
  • equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I really want to see that.

See it.

Very different to yet not dissimilar in tone from the brilliant A Ghost Story. Also presented in 4:3.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    Ron Smith. I fucking hate his Botox lipped Dredd. It was awful.

Ron Smith does the definitive Dredd for me. But I guess I got into 2000ad in the middle of one of his runs.
  • The uncharted thing was good. Good casting
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A Robo Hunter film would be amusing. Not much chance of that though I suspect.

I liked the adaptations of the Stainless Steel Rat stories too.

Plenty of material from early 2000AD - Invasion, Flesh and Shako could be adapted quite well I'd imagine.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bad Company was a great story too, but I imagine it would be a bit mental to try and make.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!