Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Porco is definitely the best Ghibli but needs to be watched in Italian for max cred.
  • Tales of EarthSea

is not fairing so well despite the presence of Tim Dalton on lead vocal.
    The Forum Herald™
  • That's one that's directed by Miyazaki's son. It's not quite as polished.

Grave of the Fireflies is the main non-Miyazaki Ghibli film to watch
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I recall quite enjoying Pom Poko too but been a while since I've watched it. Much lighter fare though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The few Anime films I have watched (it has been a long time and I can hardly remember them)

In no particular order:

1. Akira  -this started off looking spectacular but the image quality seemed to take a dive as it went on. Could be misremembering it of course. Enjoyed it.

2. Perfect Blue - odd little story with a twist ending. Enjoyable. Can't remember the visuals being particularly striking but they got the job done.

3. Fist of the North Star - - has jerk-o-vision animation but huge over-the-top fun and successfully portrayed a sense of desolation.

4. Metropolis - superb looking and I remember a steampunk-20s-jazz soundtrack - but can't remember the story. I think it was very loosely tied to the Lang film - at least with respect to the class system mapped onto the city levels.

5. Spirited Away - like Akira - I felt the visual wonder drop off as it progressed. It also overall dropped from feeling wonderous down to mainstream toward the end. Highly enjoyable though with a surfeit of ideas.

6. Grave of the Fireflies - effective and I responded to this emotionally.

7. Princess Mononoke - can remember how it started but can't remember the rest. I do remember enjoying it though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • You’re misremembering about Akira, it’s peerless from start to finish. Perfect Blue also has plenty of inspired little touches in it that show Kon’s understanding of the potential and possibilities of the medium that wouldn’t work the same in film (the subway reflection and the POV shot of the idol dancing in the guy’s hand to name two)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - it's been a while....I enjoyed all of the titles btw.
  • It’s cool, it just rankles when people talk about non-Ghibli stuff as having perfunctory animation. Kon’s body of work is among the strongest in animation, period, all the hard work he and his team did you be hand waved as “it got the job done” is just frustrating to read.

As a medium Anime has always utilise dropped frames which often takes away from the traditional disney smoothness that people expect from animation, but even Kon’s most grounded films have always been animated beautifully and with a real eye for achieving things that require animation. There’s a reason why Nolan thanklessly riffed on his work in Inception.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    In a move that should surprise absolutely no one, Danny Boyle has left the new James Bond film over "creative differences".

https://twitter.com/007/status/1031951674544476160?s=19
  • Hope the my don’t bring back Mendes.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    In a move that should surprise absolutely no one, Danny Boyle has left the new James Bond film over "creative differences".

https://twitter.com/007/status/1031951674544476160?s=19

He wanted to make it shit?

The Forum Herald™
  • So I'm watching this latest Tomb Raider film.
    I'm about an hour in.
    I'm losing the will to live.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I just watched a bit of some Resident Evil film. Excruciating.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Why are you people watching films based on games?
  • So you don't have to.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I watched My Neighbour Totoro with Isla yesterday. She loved it and watched it again today. She likes to jump and cling on to my chest during the spining top, tree bit, which makes it my favourite film ever.

I'm contemplating spirited away but I think it might be too scary for her, she's only 3 1/2.
  • :)
  • ...also, I'm inclined to think that on balance there's probably enough awesomeness to counteract the scariness of Spirited Away for a 3 1/2yr old, but I'm hardly an authority on kids.
  • Some anime discussion in here, re non-ghibli good stuff, check out Patlabor 1 & 2 (what Mamoru Oshii did before he directed Ghost in the Shell)(which if you haven't seen it is worth a watch)

The Patlabors fall smack in the peak of the golden era for big budget anime, just as computers were coming in for stuff and hand animation was at the tippy top of it's game in the late 80's/early 90's

I also recommend what I believe is the final hand drawn movie from Production IG which is Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (which is a standalone movie from the whole Kerberos thing, which is a fictional timeline where Germany won WW2), you will also note watching this that the Hellghast were a shameless ripoff of the Kerberos troops. This movie is so well animated that people thought the human movements had been rotoscoped. Film came out in 1999 fuuuuuck I can't believe it's nearly 20 years old, etc. 

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Fuck, that Jin-Roh trailer gets me turnt erry tiem!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I watched My Neighbour Totoro with Isla yesterday. She loved it and watched it again today. She likes to jump and cling on to my chest during the spining top, tree bit, which makes it my favourite film ever. I'm contemplating spirited away but I think it might be too scary for her, she's only 3 1/2.

Yeah spirited away got a bit scary for my boy, similar age.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Howl's Moving Castle mayber?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Spirited Away would certainly freak younger kids out when the parents transform. The bathhouse /stink/river spirit sequence might make for unsettlling viewing too - but it can be hard to predict what freaks a kid out.
  • I'm pretty confident Spirited Away would be too much for most children that age. HMC might be a better choice for now.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    It’s cool, it just rankles when people talk about non-Ghibli stuff as having perfunctory animation.

Oh... I don't really know any of the names - only Studio Ghibli and Spirited Away I suppose. In my defence I wasn't really comparing Ghibli with non-Ghibli being ignorant of the scene.

This has made we want to watch Akira and Spirited Away again.  I'd like to give Perfect Blue another watch too after what you said.  I had a spat of watching this stuff - a long time ago - and then I stopped for some reason. Probably because my kids were pretty young then and I kept falling asleep trying to watch stuff at night. I like the inherent perceived weirdness of it all because of the symbolism so I'll get back into it at some point.

I can remember catching bits of Kiki's Delivery Service and Porco Rosso on TV - but not sure as to the quality of those cuts and dubs. I prefer to watch with subtitles. Watching with subs probably made me more likely to fall asleep back then as I find watching subbed films late at night soporific even now.
  • Ponyo is great for the bairns.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I can’t wait to introduce my nephew to Spirited Away, but at four and a half I still think he’s too young. I think six might be the right age. Things get ugly with No Face a bit later on, and that’s my main concern. It’s also a long film and right now he has a ten minute attention span.
    Get schwifty.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The rolling heads and the wash house owner will be pretty strange to a bairn too. A lot of Spirited Away is that brand of off kilter weird that will freak a kid out, I'm not sure that's just an age thing either, could see a six year old not digging it.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Perhaps, but I can’t wait around forever! If doesn’t go over too well I can always abort.
    Get schwifty.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    So I'm watching this latest Tomb Raider film.
    I'm about an hour in.
    I'm losing the will to live.

I got absolutely fucked with my mate David and then we watched it. We both fell asleep then woke up and believed it was alright.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!