Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • South Park had the better tunes for sure. The opening song with the four different combining parts at the end will likely never get the credit it actually deserves.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Hunt for the Wilderpeople and Sideways would go on my B list.  I've got the pen and paper out at work.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I saw Team America in Thailand and the puppet sex scene had a shitting on face moment that I never saw in any subsequent version. Maybe I imagined it.
  • I'm with you on Anchorman, Rouj. It was so underappreciated at the time but I loved it.

Also yes on Team America. My first viewing of that was mostly in tears from laughing so much. They really pushed the envelope when that came out, seems a bit tamer now but it was a double barrelled shotgun to the face, at the time.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I think Dumb and Dumber might just have been the exact moment where I realised that I didn’t find funny what Hollywood finds funny.

That was Team America and The Hangover for me. Modern comedies just do nothing for me at all.

I think the last modern comedy that actually made me laugh out loud was Logan Lucky.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    South Park had the better tunes for sure. The opening song with the four different combining parts at the end will likely never get the credit it actually deserves.

I genuinely laughed out loud at the key change in Up There. A key change of all things.
  • MOCK
    YEAH
    ING
    YEAH
    BIRD
    YEAH
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • On the way out of the South Park screening I walked past a mum and two children who looked to be around 12.  All were motionless, stony-faced and staring straight forward, not daring to meet each other's eyes.

I suspect the children had rather mislead the adult on what they were being taken to see.
  • I'm with you on Anchorman, Rouj. It was so underappreciated at the time but I loved it.

I recall Anchorman being quite well loved when it hit DVD, but it has been years since it hit meme saturation so maybe i’m wrong
  • I think I just don’t like comedies much any more.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Guys I want to confess that I like Will Ferrell.

Things of Will Ferrell I like:

Anchorman (ftr i swear everyone forgets that this film came out and no one cared for years, then it became a meme and everyone loved it and tried to pretend they were there telling people they got their clothes from the toilet store from day one, but they weren't, cos I was there, and i made a big list of everyone that didn't show up, trufax)

Blades of Glory

The Other Guys (Mark Wahlberg's best film)

When he was the boss for a season is the US version of the office, even though everyone else hated him.

Elf. Obviously.

Semi-Pro is his best.

• mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I thought Anchorman did fine when it came out, just looked it up - $90 million box office, not a huge hit, but decent. Haven’t seen the poorly reviewed sequel, which made double that. The original and Elf are Ferrell’s best.
    Things can only get better.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    On the way out of the South Park screening I walked past a mum and two children who looked to be around 12.  All were motionless, stony-faced and staring straight forward, not daring to meet each other's eyes.

I suspect the children had rather mislead the adult on what they were being taken to see.

That’s brilliant.
    I remember there being an old couple, probably late 60’s, who got up once Terence and Phillip started their song and marched out looking so angry. I remember the man muttering something along the lines of “well that’s just obscene!”

I wonder what they thought they were seeing
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • The hot peppers scene in Dumb & Dumber still makes me cry with laughter every time.
    “Here Lloyd, this helps!”
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Dumb & Dumber and Tommy Boy were probably my most rented videos. Loved them so much.

The way Carrey delivers ".... So you're telling me there's a chance?" kills me
  • The only bit of Dumb and Dumber I found funny was the "according to this map we've only gone two inches in the last hour" line.
  • poprock wrote:
    I think I just don’t like comedies much any more.

The Producers, Dr.Strangelove, Some Like it Hot, Annie Hall? 

I don't believe you.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I’m exaggerating, I realise. But no, none of those do anything for me.
  • Christ above. You poor man, I must but you some more drinks immediately
  • DANGER CLOSE, POP.
  • He's worse.
  • Who's Harry Crumb?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Team America has one of my favourite memories, buying the pirate dvd after having never heard of it. Went to my cousin's, we watched the first five minutes then we both agreed we needed weed for it, my 20 stone self going on a five mile round trek to get it and me nearly keeling over drenched in sweat, then we watched it three times in a row off our nut. Such a gloriously stupid film.
  • I think a lot of films/shows (and even just daft YouTube stuff) I used to find hilarious just feel cringingly embarrassing on rewatching now. Anything that’s explicitly trying to make me laugh, I mostly can’t stand.

There’s still stuff I find funny, like Logan Lucky, A Simple Favour, and You Me Her. But it’s not cracking me up.

I dunno. *shrug* Changing tastes I guess.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Best Christmas film? This...

I like that one too. Tiny Tim is especially annoying in it but Finney is splendid as a grouchy scrooge.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • poprock wrote:
    I know there’s always argument over what constitutes a ‘Christmas film’ but I saw what I thought was a very sound definition this year: If it feels daft to watch it at any other time of year … then it’s a Christmas film, rather than a film that features Christmas.

I like this definition.

Die Hard, not a xmas film.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I like Kingpin but only in parts. Bill Murray is great in that.

Dr Strangelove and Annie Hall are great films but not out-and-out comedic enough for me. Annie Hall would make my all time 10 list - maybe 5 list - of any genre.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Anchorman (ftr i swear everyone forgets that this film came out and no one cared for years, then it became a meme and everyone loved it and tried to pretend they were there telling people they got their clothes from the toilet store from day one, but they weren't, cos I was there, and i made a big list of everyone that didn't show up, trufax)

This confuses me. I saw it at the cinema, and have always been under the impression that it did pretty well there. Certainly I remember quoting it with people well before the DVD came out.
  • Well, none of the other decent Xmas films mentioned here are on Netflix. Boo-urns.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!