Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Fast Five I think.

Yeah Five is the start of this era. 6 or 7 are the best ones.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Velvet Buzzsaw tonight. I kinda liked it.
    Get schwifty.
  • Hobbs and Shaw trailer has me 110% sold.
    Exactly what I want from a movie! Big dumb stupid fun!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The Departed is always a great watch. Enjoying it on ITV4 now.
  • I caught about 15 minutes of Ghost Rider last night - maximum Cage and not in a good way.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Fast Five I think.

Yeah Five is the start of this era. 6 or 7 are the best ones.
    Cheers both

"Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Green Book - my first five star of the year (only my second film). Both two leads were phenomenal.
  • Watched Venom earlier - it was far better than I thought it was going to be, very watchable nonsense.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hidden Fortress. I know I watched this years ago but on viewing it again I had little memory of it. Strange because this is a damn good film which makes an impact. Toshiro Mifuni knew how to rumble that's for sure. Superb.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Polar.  Should have been called BiPolar.  I don't think I've ever seen a film that's so tonally inconsistent.  The bits with Mikkelsen in the snow were good.  The bits with Matt Lucas reminded me of the shitty Batman films or a fucking Mega CD game.  Scripting, acting, editing, lighting etc were all horrendous.  It was like watching a film made by a Youtuber mixed together with one made by a film maker.  Weird as fuck.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    Polar.  Should have been called BiPolar.  I don't think I've ever seen a film that's so tonally inconsistent.  The bits with Mikkelsen in the snow were good.  The bits with Matt Lucas reminded me of the shitty Batman films or a fucking Mega CD game.  Scripting, acting, editing, lighting etc were all horrendous.  It was like watching a film made by a Youtuber mixed together with one made by a film maker.  Weird as fuck.

Mikkelsen could of been in a good movie

George Doors not so much
    The Forum Herald™
  • Holy motherfucker Burning is fantastic. Pretty sure I only breathed once in the last hour.

Also spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I have that lined up for Thursday viewing, looks amazing.
  • I have that lined up for Thursday viewing, looks amazing.

Me too! Roll on Thursday!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Netflix?
    The Forum Herald™
  • I imagine no because it’s in the cinema right now.

Maybe American Netflix.
  • Ah sadly
    My crystal ball is shit

Never mind I’ll wait for the network
    Premier
    The Forum Herald™
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    La Strada.

Anthony Quinn displays his acting chops.  The whole thing is a setup for the last few seconds but what seconds they are.

There's probably more to it than meets the eye but the simple narrative that fronts the film is enough for a first time viewing.

Haven't watched this in years. Giuiletta Masina (Fellini's wife) is a lot more charming than I remembered in her role. Her clowning is reminiscent of Chaplin, Laurel and Harpo Marx in different places. Quite skilled.
  • Avengers Inifinty War

As a wise man once said, I can't see this stuff taking off! ;)

To be fair, it does a pretty good job pulling that many characters together, and for someone that is more of on occassional/casual MCU viewer I never felt particularly lost around the characters and stuff i wasn't familiar with. The action was generally done well enough to stop me just slipping off into a 'cgi-overload coma'. Overall though I'm not really any more excited for part 2.

Spiderman: Homecoming

Generally good fun, I enjoyed this. Spiderman was good, had it's funny bits and whatnot. I've not seen whichever film it is where we first see spiderman, but i assume this time it's basically skipping the 'origin' bit of the story? Anyway, I could see this taking off.

Spoiler related to both films:
    Spoiler:
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Overlord, Climax, and a re-watch of Terrified today. So hype.
  • Overlord, Climax, and a re-watch of Terrified today. So hype.
    Robin Hood last night, absolute belter.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • LIES.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I assumed you meant the Disney animated one
  • Dear Lord.

Come with g if you want to live...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Climax feels like Noé's masterpiece. He incorporates the switch that he uses in I Stand Alone where the flow and tone of the entire film shifts after a clear 'alert' point, at which it becomes a descent into insanity, chaos and a study of degradation.

Outstanding performances all round and, as ever with his work, its a tough watch at multiple points. Quality choreography for the dance section too. Trippy, mesmeric cinema at its best.

At its heart, the latter half reminds me most of:
    Spoiler:

What a fucking film.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Polytechnique.

That was extremely bleak. Very good but wow, impressed by it. Not an easy subject to turn into a film I think. I actually feel like I need to stare at a blank wall for a bit now, to process it.

Only other film I've seen by Villeneuve is Bladerunner, might need to look up some others (Arrival and Sicario are the ones I've heard of after a quick imdb scan)
  • Arrival is a masterpiece. Enemy is pretty great as well.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Stan & Ollie

Takes liberties with the truth to create a bit of drama but this is highly enjoyable. A loving tribute to the double act. Top class cast and it looks great, skilfully recreating the creation of iconic scenes. Googan and Reilly's performance are initially impressive during dialogue, but it cranks up a gear during the acts as they also recreate the look of their movement. Highly skilled performances and excellent makup on Reilly too.  Recommended.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Really looking forward to seeing that. Would have loved to take my dad to see it had he not been so poorly.
    Get schwifty.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Stan & Ollie Takes liberties with the truth to create a bit of drama but this is highly enjoyable. A loving tribute to the double act. Top class cast and it looks great, skilfully recreating the creation of iconic scenes. Googan and Reilly's performance are initially impressive during dialogue, but it cranks up a gear during the acts as they also recreate the look of their movement. Highly skilled performances and excellent makup on Reilly too. Recommended.

I only found out after that the film is a combination of events that didn't necessarily happen in that order or at those specific times but it was still enjoyable. Coogan and Reilly certainly made the film with their portrayals, brilliant the pair of them. It was also great that they included some of L&H's routines, their ideas and just their inherent silliness. Agree that it looked fantastic too. Top stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!