Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Best part of MI2?

Anthony Hopkins Mission Impossible line. It’s all downhill from there.

Working though the series to get to the latest. Are we on 5 or 6 now? Why didn’t they just keep the numbers?
  • I think the most recent was 6. They got rid of the numbers because they became interchangeable miscellaneous action fayre. Fun romps though, enjoyed the most recent.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Thats not a good enough reason to do away with the numbers.
  • I think because as they are now pretty stand alone stories the number
    May put people off who haven’t seen the previous films when in actual Fact you could see 5 and it would be ok

So marketing speak
    The Forum Herald™
  • Alien 3 spoilers.

Has it been explained how Ripley got facehugged/why it's a queen/why it takes so long to burst out etc? I'm on Alien 3 now, it's still a hot mess, but after a quick look online I can't find anything satisfactory. Was any of this addressed in recent rereleases or dvd commentaries?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's been a while since I watched alien 3 but was she not implanted with a fetus by the company?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Best part of MI2?

The bit where it’s over.
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    Best part of MI2?
    The bit where it’s over.

Yeah I remember hating it when it came out, comparing it to the first one, but I've softened to it in my old age. Still the weakest of the ones I've watched.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I watched Gilliam’s The Adventures of Baron Munchausen last night. What a wonderful folly of a film that is. I remember going to see it at the cinema and being completely spellbound by it. Such a shame it tanked. It’s brilliantly inventive and chock-full of creative filmmaking flourishes. It’s lost none of its magic in the intervening years and I love it still.
    Get schwifty.
  • I know why you wanna hate MI2
    I know why you wanna hate MI2
    I know why you wanna hate MI2
    Cos hate is all John Woo has ever seen lately.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    I watched Gilliam’s The Adventures of Baron Munchausen last night. What a wonderful folly of a film that is. I remember going to see it at the cinema and being completely spellbound by it. Such a shame it tanked. It’s brilliantly inventive and chock-full of creative filmmaking flourishes. It’s lost none of its magic in the intervening years and I love it still.

I'm overdue a rewatch. Also saw it in the cinema, loved it to bits. I doubt it was cheap to make but it's still one of the least deserving flops of all time.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I seem to remember it costing well over forty million, which was an awful lot at the time.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK wrote:
    It's been a while since I watched alien 3 but was she not implanted with a fetus by the company?

Not unless I drifted off at some point.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    From Wiki:

Spoiler:

Davy’s thing is definitely in there.
  • Queen facehugger makes sense, but I presume there were more eggs laid on board (the facehugger that gets the dog)? I guess the gestation period is longer for a queen but what's the impregnated by the company bit? When did they manage that?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    The Queen could have popped one out when hiding in the dropship landing gear. She knew what a bad ass Ripley had been so took the initiative.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Alien 3 spoilers. Has it been explained how Ripley got facehugged/why it's a queen/why it takes so long to burst out etc? I'm on Alien 3 now, it's still a hot mess, but after a quick look online I can't find anything satisfactory. Was any of this addressed in recent rereleases or dvd commentaries?

Did you watch the opening credits?
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message

• Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I guess the gestation period is longer for a queen but what's the impregnated by the company bit? When did they manage that?

That doesn't happen till Aliens 4.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I'm not counting A4, the plot was paper thin at best.
  • The Queen could have popped one out when hiding in the dropship landing gear. She knew what a bad ass Ripley had been so took the initiative.

It must've popped two out then, a queen layer and a standard (the one that causes all the drama on the prison ship). They usually die after a face fucking afaik.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watched original Terminator tonight. Haven't watched it since the late 80s when I saw it on VHS.

Visually it still stands up despite 2 or 3 iffy looking shots - usually where stop animation or backscreen projection was used. The sparse use of the shots saves it. It's still a splendid yarn and delivered at a great pace.

I had forgotten how good the supporting cast was. And that great 80s soundtrack adds to the charm.

I watched this on BluRay and so I was able to be amused at the status displays which are in fact assembler (6502) listings on the the whole. I even saw a bit of COBOL source code too :)   That was probably blurry enough on VHS for me not to notice back then.

Have T2 on BluRay too - so will give that a watch next. Saw it first in the cinema and along with Empire Strikes Back and the LoTR trilogy it's one of my favourite cinematic experiences. Haven't seen it in a while so looking forward to that.  

T1 and T2 are the complete series to me. It ended so perfectly after that so I ignore the cash in sequels.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I had forgotten how good the supporting cast was.
    Paxton RIP.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Researched Lucy for the fourth time. Fucking love that film
  • The absolutely woeful ScarJo film?
  • Watched about 30 minutes of Avatar earlier, the first time I've seen any of it since the cinema. Wow, it has dated really badly - the CGI is so weightless and crap looking. I kept expecting to see a prompt to press X to dodge.

I'd also forgotten how bad the script is. It's wall to wall clunkers.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I have to say it’s a guilty pleasure! I know everyone here hates it, but I love the world Cameron built. It has the Aliens feels with the tech but softer. CGI is always going to age until we get beyond that uncanny valley stuff. Yeah plot isn’t the best but I enjoyed the ride.
  • A star is born

I quite liked the bits where they were singing and making music, but the rest drags and meanders, and i didn't enjoy the ending. Don't know the original films, so dunno how much that is locked in or a change they made.
    Felt like it was trying to be award worthy, which i guess worked, but could have been a much more enjoyable film if just went for a simple feel good thing.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So Captain Marvel. A solidly average film in every way.

Solid performances
    Witty banter from Sam
    Some great CGI the de aging in particular being good
    Some knowing nods to the universe
    Probably some even vaguer nods to the comic fans that I wouldn’t notice
    Best bit was the tribute to Stan in the opening Marvel ident really nicely done

I wouldn’t watch it again but I didn’t hate it. Missus fell asleep.

[5]
  • Avatar is on the fairly select list of films that I've turned off half way through for being complete shite.
    I have no idea how it became so popular.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!