Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • nick_md wrote:
    ZL2 looks good, enjoyed the first one. What's with this recent trend for having a trailer for the trailer at the start of the trailer tho? Odd.
    It did seem odd, especially in this instance as it totally undercut the 'serious dramatic movie' tone joke it then went with for a few seconds
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • It's for the 5 second ad skip on youtube.
  • Yup, need to grab them eyeballs quick.
  • See Also: trailers with stylised subtitles, in case the person watching on their phone hasn't tapped to put the sound on. They annoy me as well.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    djchump wrote:

That was fun although some of the choices of films were quite unexpected.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I have just watched a trailer for a Jacob’s Ladder remake.  Who on earth thought remaking Jacob’s Ladder was a good idea?  Adrian Lyne’s original is basically perfect.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I like the look of Dr Sleep.

At least the arrogance of remakers doesn't extend to tackling Kubrick.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Midsommar. Um, yeah, I guess?
  • Yeah, was similarly underwhelmed. Will try and post thoughts later.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I liked it but 2.5hrs was a bit too long. I watched Hereditary last night and felt the 2hr run time fine.

I enjoyed both films.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    This is mildly terrifying:
    On Tuesday, [...] The Lion King crossed the $1 billion mark at the box office [...] It’s the fourth Disney-owned movie to rake in more than nine figures at the box office in 2019 alone, alongside Captain Marvel, Avengers: Endgame, and Aladdin, Deadline reports; Toy Story 4 is also sitting at the threshold, having made $919.1 million so far.[...]

Disney’s year at the box office is history-making; only six films in history have made $1 billion so far, and four of them came from the studio this year alone. And that’s before the premieres of Frozen 2 and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker bump those numbers up even higher. Couple that with the impending launch of the company’s streaming service, Disney+, and it’s hard to overstate the company’s dominance in the ever-shifting Realm of Content.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/07/the-lion-king-disney-box-office
  • I dont understand the appeal of the live action remakes at all.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I thought the jungle book worked, but ive got no interest in any of the others.
  • I thought the jungle book worked, but ive got no interest in any of the others.

I loved The Jungle Book but yeah, not too fussed about the others.
    I'll watch The Lion King at some point but it sounds like they have gone too close to the original.

Christopher Robin was great, although not a remake as such.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Its all shit.
  • I would say a lot of it isn't for us really.
    It's hardly shocking that a bunch of men in their 30s and 40s didnt like the Beauty and the Beast remake.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    marvel, live action disney, burn it all to the fucking core
  • I enjoyed the Marvel stuff. Bored of it now though, time to move on.

The live action Disney is a bit of a ‘why bother?’ for me. They’re creatively bankrupt.

The answer is clearly because it makes a shit-ton of money while helping them perfect their future film making methods. Disney are prepping for fully CGI films featuring realistic human actors. And non-human too, I suppose.
  • Lion King isn't even live action, I don't know why people say it is. It's all CGI isn't it?
  • Apparently the original CGI tests were for a complete reboot Disney were going to call The Lying Coon.
    Maine-Coon-AP-N6F9SO-645sm3614.jpg

for some reason it didn't fly with the test audience tho...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • *runs away*
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m not particularly bothered about any particular series or set of films, it’s more the fact that one company has such an insane amount of dominance over our entertainment.
  • I think it's all Hollywood gearing up for CG people not just Disney.
    Theres that deaged Will Smith movie coming out. The Paul Walker stuff was insanely accurate as well (not the wave at the end, bits in the movie you would never have guessed).

I reckon when they had to put Ollie Reed into scenes in The Gladiator someone had a eureka moment and Hollywood have been working on it since.

I wonder how many Hollywood contracts involve the actors having their heads 3d scanned for "insurance purposes". How long before Hollywood studios end up in lawsuits over who owns the likeness to a deceased actor after those scans.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I would say a lot of it isn't for us really.
    It's hardly shocking that a bunch of men in their 30s and 40s didnt like the Beauty and the Beast remake.

Given plenty of them would like the animated original, I dont see why not, had it not been a bad film.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’m not particularly bothered about any particular series or set of films, it’s more the fact that one company has such an insane amount of dominance over our entertainment.

Yeah, never a good thing.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Was reading about that on Sight and Sound website, it’s on my to watch list.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Should probably break Disney up along with all the other US monopolies that somehow definitely aren't monopolies.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Following on from LivDiv’s comment:

With technology like that, and it’s only going to get better, we’re not going to trust our eyes anymore. An aging Cruise will eventually quit running and get fat and watch his image bring in the moola.
    Things can only get better.
  • Yeah I watched that Cruise deepfake thing the other day.
    Very impressive and easy to see how bigger budget and more time could tighten it up. The only real give away for me is the guys jawline isnt as square at the back.

I was thinking that if you could motion track the lookalike onto a 3d scanned Tom Cruise you could iron out the facial differences. Then deepfake on top of the 3d model. The deepfake eliminates much of the uncanny valley tells that tech is still catching up on.

That channel is really good btw, shame the guys come of as a bit smug sometimes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!