I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sadly, these aren’t watchable, but this site is still fun for a scroll through:

https://nestflix.fun/

It’s an index of fictional film and TV shows that appear in other films and TV shows.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Criterion Collection finally moving to 4K Ultra HD!  First 6 releases will include Citizen Kane, Menace II Society, and Mulholland Drive.  Excite!

Criterion haven't moved all their content to BluRay yet. I suppose it depends on the raw materials they gave to work with.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • @ Yoss Great find!
  • I_R wrote:
    After digging out the DVD the last time Miller's Crossing was brought up here, I finally got around to watching it last night.

I remember enjoying it but not loving it the last time I saw it and that still holds true. Finney, Turturo and Buscemi are excellent, but there's a real lack of star power elsewhere. Byrne is a decent actor, but I'm not sure he was ever leading man material. I'd completely forgotten Marcia Gay Harden was the femme fatale as well, I don't remember her ever being this young.

There are echoes of a lot of later Coen films - elaborate and misunderstood plots, nods to old Hollywood, snappy dialogue, but it's more clever than fun. I mean it's really a bit of a violent downer. The laughs that are pretty constant in most of their later works never really materialise here. For a film so lauded at the time, feels fairly unpolished in comparison.
    Oh come on, Iain. Look into your heart!
    Gamertag: gremill
  • :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Im 45 minutes into The Suicide Squad. Its super fun. And so violent.....Idris Elba is fantastic too. So glad Will Smith wasn't in for this one.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I just learnt Elba is going to be voicing Knuckles in Sonic 2.
  • I’ve always wondered.
    When advertisers do this movie mash up things where they cut to characters saying a line from a movie that riffs with the dialogue of the advert.
    Do they have a app or a bit of software that looks for phrases in the video or do they have an encyclopaedic knowledge of phrases from movies that might be handy?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • pantyfire wrote:
    I’ve always wondered. When advertisers do this movie mash up things where they cut to characters saying a line from a movie that riffs with the dialogue of the advert. Do they have a app or a bit of software that looks for phrases in the video or do they have an encyclopaedic knowledge of phrases from movies that might be handy?

There's a website where you can type in words and it shows you a clip from a film with those words being said (can't remember the name of the site). Doubt they use that tho.
  • I've always wanted to know that
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Ooooh. Cool.

Thanks guys.
  • I asked my mate who cuts TV promos for a living (if you have seen a Britbox advert for example that was edited by him).

His experience is that no such database exists. 
    They could google or whatever but finding the right words doesn't necessarily marry up with a shot you want to use. Instead the script would be dictated by what is found rather than the other way around. 
    Where the script is set in stone ie a famous speech they would use shorter, one or two word clips.

The process is manual done by the Producer or more accurately overseen by them and done by their team. Clips will then be sent to the editor to put together in a creative way.
    What seems a daunting task is naturally culled somewhat by what they can and can't use legally, then can also be cut down on theme or visuals. For example if they only want black and white movies, or Oscar winning movies, or shit on Britbox.

It is a painstaking exercise but actually cheap in comparison to shooting something new, especially as it can put A list celebs in your advert without paying for their time directly.
  • Well, that does actually sound like a bit of a Herculean task.
    Thanks.
  • That looks shit
    PSN - minkymu
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    Has anyone seen The Empty Man?  I’m hearing good things about it.  I have to either hit the button at £9.99 or get Disney+ to watch it.
    I'll try tonight and let you know.
    My man.
    This is way better than it has any right to be. First 20 minutes or is some of the best horror around. Kinda wished that was the whole movie as if they kept it up it'd be a classic. Its by no means incredible but considering the lack of hype and fucking terrible poster it's good fun. More about suspense and atmosphere than jump scares.

Yeah, I applauded The Empty Man for swinging for the fences. It doesn't really quite pull it off but well done for trying. The two main things I didn't like were:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Give me atmosphere any day over jump scares. It’s nicely helmed film too, and I don’t feel like we get enough of those in the horror genre.
    Get schwifty.
  • Minkymu wrote:
    That looks shit

Looks like prime film-night-with-mates fodder to me.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I have just watched Melancholia and now I am depressed.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yep. Depressing film. But good.
  • Finally finished The Suicide Squad. Bloody great. Makes me realize Idris Elba is far too underused
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Watching the below tonight. Looks exactly like my kinda bag. 

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/my-heart-cant-beat-unless-you-tell-it-to-movie-review-2021

This was a great low budget slow burn of a horror.

• The Suicide Squad
    I don’t think I enjoyed this as much as the rest of you if I’m honest. Which is to say that I still had a good time with it, but I thought it was the weakest of Gunn’s superhero movies (yes, including Super).  I think my main issue with it was that totally it felt a bit messy.  I would have loved the film it frequently threatens to be - an all out gonzo superhero splatfest - but the repeated stalls to accommodate sweeter sentimental moments didn’t work for me at all. Equally Suicide Squad’s defining characteristic - it’s a big old team - meant that I struggled to care very much about anyone or anything within it.

I think it was also harmed by me having seen the trailers.  Quite a few reveals would probably have been hilarious, had they not been part of the marketing in advance. As a film that largely gets by on shock value, removing that surprise seems foolish at best.

Still, a thousand times better Captain String’s Suicide Squad.

Fear Street Trilogy

Let’s make one thing clear right off the bat, the Fear Street films aren’t particularly good.  They’re fine - classic Netflix fare really - but what they do represent is an interesting experiment.

For the uninitiated, Fear Street was a run of R.L.Stine books, essentially aimed at teenagers who’d grown up reading his Goosebumps series.  As such the films have this slightly odd hole to fill, they need to both echo the content of these teen novels, whilst also trying to appeal to an older, wider Netflix demographic.
    As individual films it’s an approach that doesn’t really work (“Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark” chased a similar audience more effectively a few years ago.). Each film is soapy, and not remotely scary, with very occasional moments of surprising gore that seem to have fallen in from some completely different film.  

So as films they’re not great. But that’s not the experiment.  The experiment is in how to make a movie trilogy that actually works, and at this it’s surprisingly effective.  Each film is essentially its own thing, released a week apart as if they were episodes of a TV show. Fear Street 1994 is a pastiche of 90s horror movies - a xerox of a xerox of Scream.  1978 is an homage to 70s slasher movies, inevitably taking place at a Summer Camp.  Then 1666 goes right back in time for a somehow even more soapy tale about the witch’s curse that started it all - rounding the whole thing off and tying it up with a surprisingly neat little bow.  Whilst the movies themselves may not be masterpieces, it’s a rare example of a trilogy that knows where it’s going from the outset, confidently seeding elements for the finish line.

So, like I say, as horror films, they’re perfectly adequate entertainment - basically Scooby Doo with the occasional decapitation and no dog - but as a trilogy, and a means by which to put such things out there, it’s a potential sign of things to come.  (I have no idea what sort of numbers this did for Netflix, but had they been released differently I’m not sure I would have watched one, let alone all 3…)

Summer Of Soul

You don’t need reams of my tedious explanation for this one.  A documentary about the 1969 “Black Woodstock” concerts in Harlem. Amazing footage of some of the greatest soul and gospel singers of all time, with thoughtful asides about the times and the context.  If you have even the slightest love of the music, or interest in the period, you should watch this.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yes tin, Summer of Soul is absolutely unreal.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    My daughter recommended I watch Birds of Prey… before watching The Suicide Squad. I don’t think my daughter likes me.

Going to have to watch TSS on the high seas, no ppv options here and I’m not comfortable going to the cinema yet.
    Things can only get better.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Is anyone able to source a copy of Woodstock 99: Love Peace and Rage that I can watch on my phone in bed? Desperate to see it.
  • You can download it as an MP4 file here. It's just over a gig in size.
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!