Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • I get it that everything is possible in The Matrix and bringing characters back from the dead is perfectly doable.  But by that same extension, we're talking about watching a film with facsimiles of the originals.  Fakes.  I'm not sure whether that is such an engaging prospect.

I'm in work currently so haven't watched the new trailer.  I'm sure when I'll do I'll be like WOOOAH! and doing slow-mo gun fights with random strangers on the way home.   
    Spoiler:
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Examining the ideas of copies and fakes that feel they’re real, or maybe they are more real than the original, is a perfect extension of the themes of the Matrix, Baudrillard is getting his fuck on once again. We in the desert of the real, boy!
  • Actually when you put it like that, that doesn't sound so bad.  If only I could erase the memory of the last two awful films and pretend they weren't real too.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Who is to say they were?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I hate that "bringing characters back" malarky. It's as if Ep.9 never happened. Fuck me.

Copies and fakes is hauling Solaris concepts in.  This will cheapen the original Matrix idea.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • i was never a big matrix fan. i watched and quite enjoyed the first one, but it didn't really get it's hooks in me the way it seemed to do for others, such that i never bothered to watch the sequels or any other media related to it.

the trailer does look quite good, but also like a soft reboot based on what i remember from the first.

it gets an official shrug from me! ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm one of those people who liked the original and the sequels probably because I didn't get TOO much into it. There's some crap bits, particularly in the 3rd one with its Zion rave party for example, but I never too expected too much and so didn't get disappointed.  It's faux intellectualism is po-faced and has ideas above its station.
  • davyK wrote:
    I hate that "bringing characters back" malarky. It's as if Ep.9 never happened. Fuck me.

Copies and fakes is hauling Solaris concepts in.  This will cheapen the original Matrix idea.

What, that everything we know is a simulation including people that are actually machines and programs that we see as people, including an agent which become as virus and replicated itself throughout the system as well as multiple versions of Neo (and by extension Trinity) before the one we follow through the films?
  • The trailer is fucking awesome.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Very confused by the rejection of the ideas the trailer is hinting at, all this stuff is just a tiny extension of the ideas that were already in the trilogy, you even have the simulation/simulacra stuff and conflicting ideas of which half of the world is "real" with Neo and Agent Anderson ending up outside of The Matrix.

Anyway I am with G, it looks rad. IMAX for this one with the old Temps. Let me wallow in sick action sequences.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    All I can say is that as soon as I saw Trinity in that trailer my heart sank. 

The agent was replicating within one cycle of the Matrix. The Neo character (which may not have been called that , or looked like that in earlier cycles) is the single anomaly which unbalances the equation that drives the Matrix control systems.

When the anomaly and that agent interacted in a way that was unpredicted by the mathematics, then the agent was enabled to replicate and exist outside of the software infrastructure that controlled it.

The cyclical idea is elegant, as is the explanation of the problems that arose in the "current cycle". The cycle was broken at the end of the 3rd film.

Of course a followup was hinted at at the very end which gave a route to cheapen it.  Hey Presto. Here we go.

The trailer looks good but as for the story....

However I'll go see it.
  • It's possible to interpret these themes without ruining them, but the idea that it's just bringing this stuff from Solaris... it's just a fundamental part of the idea of the Matrix, which is massively indebted to Baudrillard's ideas. Seems totally sensible to explore them in a modern version. Plus: guns and kung fu. It must be exhausting to be so reticent to any idea of new interpretations of stuff, the world is never gonna stop revolving, artists are gonna keep fiddling with their own ideas.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You're taking more from my Solaris reference than I intended. I only referred to it because of the ideas of copies and what makes us human.

Watched that trailer again.

I'm not getting it. I'd need a bit of context before I bite.
  • I still say Hugo Weaving and Laurence Fishburne will be massive holes they can't fill.  I hear they are bringing that 'sassy chick' back who was in 2 & 3 who flew those hover craft things.  Probably the least annoying of the sequel characters, who were a motley crew.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The story is finished.  Christ almighty just let it lie and move on.

The principle cast were superb in the trilogy and are a major part what made it a success.
  • The Matrix film Resurrected may not dive into those ideas at all, but I don't think you can suggest they weren't already seeded in the originals, with the whole idea of waking up from The Matrix being a big divide in self - the who you were before, whether the real person is the one in or out of The Matrix given how complete the simulation is, and how many programs/machines live in the Matrix as humans. Heck, the whole genesis of the Matrix is due to AI gaining sentience and determining that it is "human". I will be interested to see where they go with all of this, especially given Lana is helming it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Wachowskis in the boxset liner notes say it is comprehensive.  That's good enough for me.

I forgot they are trans now so mistook the name change for a writer change btw. So I withdrew a post I made about the writer change...

I didn't take the AI as determining itself as human at all. Sentient but not human.

I want it to be good. But it won't be.

Sorry @Tempy, I'm not trying to be awkward. The concept is ripe for exploitation in a really good way. But I doubt that will happen. Too many disappointments over the years.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    This film is going to be Legen...

Wait for it...

...dary!

No issues with the fundamental focus on awakening vs. accepting the matrix. I do have issue with Fishburne no longer being in the film. Either he's turned into tonnes of fun or guess it's ok to swap out black folks as long as the white leads are there... ever has it been I guess.
  • I totally understand the reticence to return to something that's done, because it can weaken it, but it's not new or unique really. You only need to check out how often Tomino has returned to Gundam, or Anno's recent return to Evangelion. Artists grow and change, and sometimes they feel new things about their works, and how they might want to present them, or different angles they can take on the same idea to open up new meaning, or just to enjoy a world they crafted and loved.
  • He's starting to believe.
  • davyK wrote:
    Sorry @Tempy, I'm not trying to be awkward. The concept is ripe for exploitation in a really good way. But I doubt that will happen. Too many disappointments over the years.

I don't think you're being awkward at all! I just don't agree, in as polite a way as I can possibly manage :)
  • What I've not seen anyone discuss is that The Matrix Online was canon, so how that's dealt with could be... fun.

I'm one of about 10,000 people who played it reguarly, so I expect they will be making this film exclusively for us.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The idea in the films is something that seems to be the core of our own beliefs and suspicions.

I myself as a very young kid used to fantasise about me being in a machine that was presenting me with a fake world. I reckon lots of people thought about that - so it's probably why it struck a chord with so many people.

The first 3 films were quite disciplined in what they did with the idea. It's grounded in many ways - fantastical - but as one who understands software at a  fundamental level I was able to go with it. I found that very gratifiying. My fear is that it becomes too loose and just gets a bit stupid I suppose.
  • johnson.gif
  • What I've not seen anyone discuss is that The Matrix Online was canon, so how that's dealt with could be... fun. I'm one of about 10,000 people who played it reguarly, so I expect they will be making this film exclusively for us.

It'll be interesting, they may well roll the blessing they gave it back now they're actually returning to it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Are the games part of that too? I stayed well away from those.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    I don't think you're being awkward at all! I just don't agree, in as polite a way as I can possibly manage :)

That's OK....I think I come across as snarly sometimes.  :)
  • Enter The Matrix has FMV directed by The Wachowskis, and the cover says written and directed by them so I guess that would be too? Online definately is.
  • davyK wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    That's OK....I think I come across as snarly sometimes.  :)

And I have been told I come across as condescending at times, which reading back. Yikes, haha!
  • Morpheus is canonically dead, so that's why he isn't there.

I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!