martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I didn't even know you were a teacher

Tee-hee'd at this.

Quietly savage.
  • You’re all on DOUBLE SECRET PROBATION!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Is that like detention?
  • I think it's like 12 of the best.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Remember he's old school it's the belt.
  • regmcfly wrote:

b2c26059a34e5213bedcc65b8f44eefc.jpg
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Sounds Unlikely.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Happy Together (1997) - It would be an oversimplification to say that this is In the Mood for Love but gay but given that it’s by the same director, has the same lead actor, is tonally and aesthetically quite similar to In the Mood for Love and is gay, neither is it completely inaccurate.

It was pretty good - I don’t know if I would rate it as highly as In the Mood for Love as it feels a bit more rough-and-ready but it’s in the same ballpark. ★★★★☆

Evolution (2001) - This is a movie, a bit like Blackhat, that I ended up really curious about just because I kept seeing it in shops everywhere. This seemed ubiquitous on shelves back in the DVD era.

David Duchovny and Orlando Jones are a pair of college professors who become tangled up in the discovery of a meteor from outer space that harbours rapidly-evolving alien life. Seann William Scott also exists in this film as a main character. Julianne Moore rounds out the main cast as Woman.

The biggest problem with this is that it isn’t particularly funny. It isn’t completely unfunny and I did chuckle a couple of times but I think the contemporary reviews of the film got this right. The humour also has a real mean streak and the film generally feels a bit misogynistic in 2024. The main story is where the meat of the entertainment lies. The special effects go surprisingly hard for a comedy - they’ve dated pretty well, even the CGI, with only a couple of iffy-looking moments. This struggled to make its money back back in the day and it feels like they over-invested in the effects for the type of movie - but it does mean it’s an interesting effects piece. The story is a Doctor Who-esque romp and might have helped tide fans over in the long wait between the TV Movie and the 2005 revival.

It was OK but more in a Godzilla X Kong way rather than a comedy way. ★★★☆☆
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The Killer

Hmmm. I normally quite like Fincher, and thought his previous, Mank, was excellent. But this just felt a bit empty - acting was kinda fine, as was editing/directing, but while I get the plot was kinda meant to go nowhere, it literally just went nowhere. So, meh.
  • ET is a funny one with me. i'm pretty sure i watched it when a very young un on a camping holiday in spain, possibly a bootleg even then as it was screened as sort of kids entertainment on the stage rather than in a cinema and it would have been about the year it came out - in fact being there is about my earliest memory. Don't remember the film from it though, other than coming away with the ingrained idea that i didn't like it (prob just cos it was sad/scary). so despite seeing loads of bits and pieces and clips of it since, i don't recall ever sitting down to watch the whole thing. obviously loads of other spielberg stuff i love but ET i've never went back to.
    prob a bit like watership down which i watched a few years later (and do remember) and traumatised me enough that i've never watched it again ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • You should treat yourself to a rewatch of Watership Down.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I have a choice between seeing a preview screening of Challengers or a one-off screening of City of God on Monday. They are scheduled at the same time. Give me a steer!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Seeing as Challengers is described as a romantic sports film, I think I'd have to go with City of God. Of course, City of God is a fantastic film anyway so....
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That Challengers looks terrible
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    You should treat yourself to a rewatch of Watership Down.
    no thanks i like sleeping ;)

it's not on any of the streamers anyway it seems
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • You must see Challengers as punishment for asking such a silly question.

Edit: ERE
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I thought this was an interesting discussion of why Wish looks a bit weird:

Tl;drw: Wish invites the audience to think back on previous animations they’ve watched but the art style, which doesn’t include motion blur and has a deliberately flat look to harken back to 2D animation, inadvertently reminds the audience of cheap TV 3D animation, which also has these attributes due to budget limitations.
  • I watched about a minute of it when Tilly was watching and definitely thought 'that looks a bit weird'.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Sounds Unlikely.

This is a reference from so long ago it got no love.

Like a single leaf of basil floating in the wind..
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I have booked to see City of God. Nobody better start pissing and moaning they want a review of Challengers!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It’s back at the cinema??

Edit - I should have looked up.

Edit edit - it’s at the Light Monday night. Think that’s a visit.
  • Quality film. Think I saw it 3 times in the cinema with 3 different groups of friends.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Intolerance (1916) - I was looking at a Reddit thread of ambitious films for the Sunday Roast thread and this one kept coming up - I’ve had the Blu-ray for years but despite a couple of abortive attempts haven’t actually properly sat down and watched it. So I finally watched all nearly-three-hours of it.

I really didn’t like Birth of a Nation, the director’s previous film. Whatever its contemporary merits, in the modern day I found it incredibly boring and obviously extraordinarily racist. This film is significantly better on both fronts.

The film is a sort of weird riposte to the accusations of racism that followed DW Griffith after he made a massively racist film because he was a racist. The film is meant to be about intolerance through the ages. It follows four separate intercut stories - the fall of Babylon, the crucifixion of Jesus, the St. Bartholomew's Day massacre in France and a ‘modern’ day story about a poor couple whose lives are blighted by the actions of a puritanical ‘uplift society’. The film primarily focuses on the Babylon and modern stories and both of these were later expanded and spun off into separate films.

In terms of positives, it’s not massively racist! Hoorah! The Babylon story has hugely ambitious visuals - massive sets, hundreds of extras, plenty of action… meanwhile, the modern story has the most emotionally engaging storyline of the four and climaxes with a dramatic conclusion.

The bad is that while it’s less boring than Birth of a Nation, it is still quite boring. I found the first third of the film pretty hard going as it takes a while for each of the four stories to be introduced and get going. Four independent narratives would be quite a lot in the modern age - without dialogue and only a smattering of inter-title cards to introduce the large casts in each segment, it is perhaps a bit too much and the film can be hard to follow. The film is also less than the sum of its parts - the theme of intolerance is quite vague (frankly a huge portion of how the theme is expressed during the film is the inter-title cards explicitly name dropping it over and over in a very on-the-nose style) and the four stories don’t feel like they have much in common other than interpersonal conflict, which is a relatively ubiquitous component of stories generally. The stories don’t cohere or come together in any kind of satisfactory way at the end and I think I’d probably prefer to just watch the separate films of the two main stories.

This is still well thought of and there’s still aesthetic value to be gained from it in 2024 - but there are many silent films that are still brilliant experiences today so it doesn’t get a free pass for being dated and a bit dull for the modern viewer. ★★☆☆☆

For Failed-alliteration Horror Friday (this one is neither folk nor 4K), I watched:

The Beast in the Cellar (1970) - This is a thematically interesting low-key horror film from the production company behind Witchfinder General and The Blood on Satan’s Claw.

Two quarrelsome sisters who live near a rural army base are alarmed when soldiers begin to be murdered by what seems to be a mysterious beast. But there is more to the situation than first appears…

I quite liked this. It has similar issues with not having a clear protagonist that other Tigon productions have and is a bit too wonky for its own good (plus lead actress Beryl Reid is actually quite irritating) but I thought it was well worth watching - it’s just too wonky to be considered conventionally good. Unconventionally good then. ★★★☆☆
  • Watched As Good As it Gets for the first time in decades, and it’s such a weird movie. Feels like a really great American indie, crowbarred into being a not quite good enough studio RomCom.
  • I always figured that maybe it was going to be a decent indie film and then Jack Nicholson got attached to it and budgets and expectations spiralled.
  • Yeah, can believe that. It’s funny though, as Nicholson absolutely makes that character - he’s vile, and it needs his charisma to not make him completely irredeemable.
  • I was about 6 when ET came out. Didn't see it at the cinema, and by the time I watched it on TV about 5 years later, I didn't get what the fuss was about. It's alright, I suppose.

Went to see Civil War yesterday, and it's a bit of an odd one. As a drama about journalists in a war zone it's very good - interesting characters, plenty of tension. As a story about a civil war in modern day US, it's a bit inconsequential. Rather than using the characters as a vehicle to explore the subject and how this could happen, it's mainly just a backdrop for the personal stories.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Society of the Snow (2023) - Trauma-inducingly harrowing depiction of the real-life story of Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571, which crashed in the Andes in 1972. The survivors, left to desperately survive in the ruins of the front half of the plane with almost no supplies, plumb the absolute depths of human despair and darkness in their quest to survive.

The spectacular plane crash sequence provides a powerful opening to the film. But if anything the drama only becomes more harrowing from there. I did check up on how accurate it was - there’s one moment that is arguably a bit emotionally manipulative in how they amended it but generally it seems to be pretty accurate, which is almost a bit depressing given how gruelling the events are. Extremely good (it got two Oscar nominations and I think it might have been on the Best Picture list had it been in English) but not for the faint of heart. I feel done in. ★★★★★

Society of the Snow: Who Were We on the Mountain (Short, 2024) - Short documentary of the making of the film. It’s interesting but not an outstanding story in its own right - pretty much standard making-of stuff. ★★★☆☆
  • regmcfly wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Sounds Unlikely.
    This is a reference from so long ago it got no love. Like a single leaf of basil floating in the wind..

I see you both.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!