PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    I hope they've done something about the fucking rancid boss battles.

If not, I hope they've left in the BFG glitch.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Hmm. Just downloaded it and it looks bad. Much worse than I remember the demo looking. No idea what could be causing it... Enemies and weapons are pretty much just shadows.

Edit: A quick Google suggests this may be an installation issue.

Edit again: And so it was. All sorted and daemons are being maimed.
  • Only now got round to trying out Doom (2016) as it's €7.99 on PSN with all DLC included.

First few levels are good.

Loved how you could just about hear E1M1 in the background during the intro, and then it properly kicked in.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    That's a bargain. You're in for a treat.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Its a brilliant game, sequel out this year isnt it?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bastard thing, still have to finish it so I can have my hundred and whatever gigs of hard drive back.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    HDD wise, it is indeed a monster.
  • QuakeCon is live and they're showing off a load of Eternal stuff but first they launched Doom, Doom II and Doom 3 for Switch, PS4 and Xbox One. All out now.

Android and ios ports of 1 & 2 are also now out.

Nice!
  • Original Doom for £4 is pretty tempting.
  • JonB wrote:
    Original Doom for £4 is pretty tempting.
    Doom 3 is only £7.99 which isn’t too bad a price.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Finally DOOM 64 returns.

Coming to the Switch on November 22, I'm sure other formats will follow.

Criminally overlooked upon its original release, its one of the best ever DOOM games imo, well worth checking out if you haven't played it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoFZkc7E8gs
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Absolutely loved it back in the day. Best of the old school Dooms by a country mile.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Doom 64? Yus. A thousand times yus.

I just finished Doom 3 on Switch and promptly downloaded Doom II. Got the latter for £1 after using my Nintendo rupees. £8 for D3 makes the £16 for the Turok re-releases seem very steep.
  • The original is so iconic it's almost difficult to say it's still not one of the best.

II and Final felt like 1.5, more of the same imo. Nothing wrong with that, I loved them.

64 was dismissed for:
    a) Being confused as a N64 version of DOOM instead of the all new game it actually was
    b) Feeling like a step back in light of Quake, Goldeneye etc

Like most simpler games against ones pushing things forward it's aged but better than most of its contemporaries.

I liked 3 and 2016 but I honestly think 64 is up there with the original.

They're all great games but 64 is the one that no one seemed to play unfortunately.

I hope this re-release gives it some much deserved wider appeal.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Can't remember why I assumed DOOM 64 was a bit weak.  Partly a and b from your reasons I guess, plus I vaguely remember a CVG 3 star review.
    Like most simpler games against ones pushing things forward it's aged but better than most of its contemporaries.

True of many straightforward games from the 32-bit to PS2 era.  From a retro gamer pov it's a bad period for revisiting, despite offering plenty of fun at the time.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Doom64 was great but it's main problem was that Goldeneye existed.

I still consider it an excellent entry in the Doom series. It has bags of atmosphere.

Romero appeared in Belfast last week at Q-CON  (Queen's University Belfast has started running this). He played old school Doom deathmatches with attendees.  :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • What's the major differences with 64 then?
  • Lighting, new weapon... not sure what else?

I had it at the time and enjoyed it a lot, but yeah it was competing with GoldenEye and Quake etc so seemed old hat what with the sprites.

It's definitely become a lot more appreciated over the years, and is the first direct sequel to Doom II afaik.

I've been playing through the classic Doom games recently and the original Doom is just fantastic, really enjoyable. I went through Thy Flesh Consumed as well which was also great albeit slightly wonky in the balancing (those opening two levels are brutal).

Currently on Ep2 of Doom II and also really enjoying it, although I find the maps not as good as the OG.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I hope they hurry up and get on to the Quake games.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Doom64 has 30 all new level layouts - some of them introducing some light puzzling - a bit more than original Doom1&2. But it keeps that old Doom feel - no jumping and no up/down aiming.

At the time it looked spectacular - really nice "real" 3D levels (old Doom was fake 3D - no rooms existed above others). Some nice lighting effects.

All the enemies were redrawn and they look very good. One or two were dropped because of memory but the classic characters are all there in their new skins. They were done in 2D which got some criticism at the time but it meant the game ran quick with lots of enemies.

The final level has a new exclusive boss.

The mapper could be viewed with textures or in classic wireframe.

One player only though :(  again - a time and cart size restriction I've read.

No mid level saves - you have to do a level in one go. But they are bit shorter so its managable.

The sounds are spectacular - the soundtrack is a magnificent collection of morbid ambient sounds.

There's a new weapon - a laser that you power up with special hidden skull keys you have to find. It's alright but all the classic weapons are there with new skins and some great effects. The plasma rifle looks superb.

There's a hidden cheat menu that is unlocked either by entering a button sequence - or by shooting all the barrels in level 1 , leaving the first barrel to the last - which opens a door to what is called a "fun" level. Finish that and you access the cheat menu which includes a selection of 4 or 5 other "fun" levels. For "fun" read ridiculously hard.  :)

Control is highly configurable - it makes excellent use of the analogue stick and the n64 controller's trigger made for satisfying shooting.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Switch version will be cancelled imo
  • A rushed game etc
  • Same release as Animal Crossing. Not long after FFVII Remake, Watchdogs and Last of Us 2, and not long before Cyberpunk. It's all going a bit crazy next year.

Shows how hardwar cycles don't work as before now too - year leading up to new consoles full of big AAA releases.
  • Doom 64

Crank the contrast and brightness up if you want to see anything.
  • I'm sure they'll fix that... I hope.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • This is great news! All potentially good games should be delayed indefinitely until I get through my PoS.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • DOOM 2016 was one of the best full fat games I played this gen, happy to wait for the next one but I'm definitely in. @retroking1981 you should check out the Titanfall 2 campaign. You can probably pick it up on disc for less than a fiver.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!