Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
  • Can't say I'd ever heard of him.
  • Yes, I've seen your car.

:D

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Amelia Earheart. 

OK, I know she's been dead a while, but I read about this planned expedition and thought it was interesting. Miserable ending to an amazing life. Fits best in here, I guess...
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jul/03/amelia-earhart-plane-pacific-island?INTCMP=SRCH
  • Eric Sykes. Comedy legend. Genuinely sad about his.

R.i.P.

g.man
  • I had lunch with a chess champion the other day. I knew he was a chess champion because it took him 20 minutes to pass the salt.
  • g.man wrote:
    Genuinely sad about his.
    Not to be dickish but, er, why?
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I don't know about g.man, but for me Eric Sykes was a comedy hero, used to sit down with my Ma and Pa and watch his show Sykes with Hattie Jacques and be in stitches with some of the cleverly plotted episodes. Sad day indeed.
    Things can only get better.
  • What manna said.
  • But, those episodes still exist.  All the material you love still exists.  And he was 89.
  • Fucks sake Andy, someone he liked and was a fan of, and from the sounds of it has lots I positive memories attached to died. Why wouldn't he feel sad? Jeez.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I generally don't get sad when people die either.  I am a human clusterfuck though, tbf.
  • @MattyJ:  He didn't know him, he was old, everything that formed those memories didn't die with him.  Sorry, but I can't see any reason why he would be sad.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Never a big fan of Sykes but I was a huge fan of Spike, so here's the both of them.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    @MattyJ:  He didn't know him, he was old, everything that formed those memories didn't die with him.  Sorry, but I can't see any reason why he would be sad.

Really? Really?

While I'd hardly suggest that it's like mourning for a loved one, "I feel a bit sad because X entertainer died" seems totally understandable to me, and most people, I would have thought. I don't want to define "a bit sad" for g.man, but I'm guessing he wasn't curled up on the floor in tears, just, you know, a bit sad.

As I was when, for instance, Freddie Mercury died in '91, or when Jim Stynes died earlier this year. It's not like I took time off work and sulked in my room for days, but shit, you feel "a bit sad," play some tunes/watch some games/laugh at some shows and remember them fondly.

It's not that hard a concept to grasp.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • ...unless you're dysfunctional, like me.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Sykes was a fucking Don. RIP.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Never a big fan of Sykes but I was a huge fan of Spike, so here's the both of them.
    Very good.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    adkm1979 wrote:
    @MattyJ:  He didn't know him, he was old, everything that formed those memories didn't die with him.  Sorry, but I can't see any reason why he would be sad.
    Really? Really? While I'd hardly suggest that it's like mourning for a loved one, "I feel a bit sad because X entertainer died" seems totally understandable to me, and most people, I would have thought. I don't want to define "a bit sad" for g.man, but I'm guessing he wasn't curled up on the floor in tears, just, you know, a bit sad. As I was when, for instance, Freddie Mercury died in '91, or when Jim Stynes died earlier this year. It's not like I took time off work and sulked in my room for days, but shit, you feel "a bit sad," play some tunes/watch some games/laugh at some shows and remember them fondly. It's not that hard a concept to grasp.
    I might shed a tear when Cleese and Palin drop off.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think it is worse when someone dies who is still productive. I was sad when Kubrick died because there would be no more new Kubrick films which took ages to make and were let's face it - a treat.

It is sad too becuase Sykes must be almost the last of a certain era when Milligan, Sellers, Hancock etc. were pushing out material. End of an era and all that which is sad for those who lived through it - partly because it makes you realise you are getting on a bit too.

Also simply - it is sad because the world is a slightly better place when certain people live in it. Sykes was one of those.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Really? Really? While I'd hardly suggest that it's like mourning for a loved one, "I feel a bit sad because X entertainer died" seems totally understandable to me, and most people, I would have thought. I don't want to define "a bit sad" for g.man, but I'm guessing he wasn't curled up on the floor in tears, just, you know, a bit sad. As I was when, for instance, Freddie Mercury died in '91, or when Jim Stynes died earlier this year. It's not like I took time off work and sulked in my room for days, but shit, you feel "a bit sad," play some tunes/watch some games/laugh at some shows and remember them fondly. It's not that hard a concept to grasp.

Yes. If there wasn't some connection then I doubt that their work would have any emotional impact whatsoever.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I can't watch the Senna film without crying...!
  • I was in bits when Freddie died.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Have you seen the YouTube vid of some bloke singing Somebody To Love, pretty impressive, I'm as jealous as fuck that I can't sing let alone sing like that.

EDIT: I presume you're talking Mercury and not Starr, though I'm not sure if the latter is actually dead.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    I was in bits when Freddie died.

Couple years ago I heard Peter Freestone describing his last hours and minutes, in a lot more detail than he's ever done on TV, and I was crying like a baby.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I wonder why Freddie's death touched so many? I struggled when I watched a programme on his life and, ultimately, his death.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I really don't know.

When we went to Montreux the inscription on this statue says "Lover of life, singer of songs" and I read it and broke down then as well. I'm not normally such a wuss and despite the impression I give I'm not even that huge a Queen fan.

I happened across this again the other week

225px-Freddiedeath.jpg

There aren't many people who could die nowadays and get the entirety of The Sun front page.
  • The Freddie documentaries are incredibly touching. Like (@45mins):

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!