Climate change apathy Ragnarok thread
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Raw shrimp don't really taste too great, even with condiments. Cooked or nowt, and as I don't cook... I've ordered that pea powder stuff, but I'm not confident.

Fry them fuckers.

And use sunflower oil. Obviously.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    I thought that was a weird position for a bunch of almost scientists to hold.

And I'm the ignorant one, am I?

Don't worry. Unlike some of your other instances of collective hounding, I won't be taking it all as seriously, but I am paying attention...

The same names always appear to apply the same behaviour, across all subjects.
  • cockbeard wrote:

Once again though we're veering into cult of reason territory. Stop being scared to ask questions, stop trying to be "right", and definitely stop demonising someone who does ask questions

This is exactly why Dawkins was a dangerous, irresponsible man who set the debate on religion back years, served only to divide and anger rather than create debate

Bollocks. Both about dawkins (get off twitter tho & stop talking about rape, dick), & about motivations for people posting. I have taken an aggressive stance, & I'll grant you its potentially not constructive, but plenty of people in here have clearly posted in good faith and answered dynamites questions.

He's then cherry picked the ones he's liked & chosen to engage with, and ignored everything that he doesn't like.

To then throw hands up and call people fanatics & hide behind "I'm just asking questions" is fucking weak sauce & I'm calling it.

It's PRECISELY the tactics used to push:

- creationism
    - smoking not being a health risk
    - anti-vax

Teach the controversy! Ffs.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Sushi?

You have to fry shrimp...
  • monkey wrote:
    And I'm the ignorant one, am I? Don't worry. Unlike some of your other instances of collective hounding, I won't be taking it all as seriously, but I am paying attention... The same names always appear to apply the same behaviour, across all subjects.
    I'm sorry but I haven't got the faintest idea what you're talking about.
  • monkey wrote:
    Sushi?
    That was a suggestion to Brooks btw.

You're grabbing the wrong end of the stick more often than a....

....erm....

I'm going to go with blind hockey player.
  • Facewon wrote:
    I have taken an aggressive stance, & I'll grant you its potentially not constructive, but plenty of people in here have clearly posted in good faith and answered dynamites questions. He's then cherry picked the ones he's liked & chosen to engage with, and ignored everything that he doesn't like. To then throw hands up and call people fanatics & hide behind "I'm just asking questions" is fucking weak sauce & I'm calling it.
    Yes, he is not "just asking questions" but is instead looking for the very specific answers he wants.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    Sushi?
    That was a suggestion to Brooks btw.

I know.
  • Hmm that wasn't what I was after. 

:-/

That's the one.
  • monkey wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    And I'm the ignorant one, am I? Don't worry. Unlike some of your other instances of collective hounding, I won't be taking it all as seriously, but I am paying attention... The same names always appear to apply the same behaviour, across all subjects.
    I'm sorry but I haven't got the faintest idea what you're talking about.
    Heh, he's starting a shitlist; because obviously it's not him, so it must be everyone else.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I'm pretty sure that's not the first time you've waded in at this point in a B&B argument with similar posts, but what the hey. ;]
  • I presume you're calling me ignorant for either 

a) not already knowing the precise formulation of the climate change position of a professional body for American geologists. In which case, jesus christ. 

Or 

b) Referring to geographers as almost scientists which I suppose I should clarify in the event that's being interpreted as a dismissal of them. Geographers are absolutely fine, produce lots of reliable work, always liked the subject at school, total respect for them and all the rest of it, but they work in an interdisciplinary field that incorporates non-scientific elements as well as scientific ones. So it was just short hand for referring to them as people with scientific leanings, and it was surprising they take that view.
  • No cooking. This is a vital element of the test. I am lazy.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Once again though we're veering into cult of reason territory. Stop being scared to ask questions, stop trying to be "right", and definitely stop demonising someone who does ask questions

This is nonsense. The entire scientific method is about asking questions, but crucially, it's also about paying attention to the answers. Ignoring mountains of evidence because they do not fit your view and then continuing to question the conclusions of those whose job it is to weigh up that evidence are actions that should be challenged.
  • Brooks wrote:
    No cooking. This is a vital element of the test. I am lazy.
    Someone I used to work with had lunch at his desk - oily fish, raw, straight from the tin. I like sardines but I've got to fry them up to make them edible. 

So yeah, there's that. Sardines, pilchards, sild.

Got to buy them boneless though.
  • 30 quid for 900g of peadust incl. delivery. I will eat about 120g a day, so let's say that's a weeksworth.

Do people think £30 a week for 'meat' alone is within the tolerances of 1st world low-incomers? I'm not one, so I ask.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    b) Referring to geographers as almost scientists which I suppose I should clarify in the event that's being interpreted as a dismissal of them. Geographers are absolutely fine, produce lots of reliable work, total respect for them and all the rest of it, but they work in an interdisciplinary field that incorporates non-scientific elements as well as scientific ones. So it was just short hand for referring to them as people with scientific leanings, and it was surprising they take that view.

Great. But now I wonder about your classification of what is scientific, and what is unscientific. 

Anyway, the relationship between geology, and climatology?
    Isn't one just a subset of the other?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Revelle

This is why I'm a little angry about some of the views here. I'm accused of twisting facts for posting them, and asking questions about them, but others can get away with denigrating whole branches of established sciences, 'just because', and no-one bats an eyelid.
  • Brooks wrote:
    30 quid for 900g of peadust incl. delivery. I will eat about 120g a day, so let's say that's a weeksworth. Do people think £30 a week for 'meat' alone is within the tolerances of 1st world low-incomers? I'm not one, so I ask.
    No way. That's like a entire weekly shopping bill for a lot of people. 

Me too actually, but I pride myself in how low I can get the bill each week while still buying things like beer and meat.
  • Right, so that's that then. We're fucked.
  • monkey wrote:
    b) Referring to geographers as almost scientists which I suppose I should clarify in the event that's being interpreted as a dismissal of them. Geographers are absolutely fine, produce lots of reliable work, total respect for them and all the rest of it, but they work in an interdisciplinary field that incorporates non-scientific elements as well as scientific ones. So it was just short hand for referring to them as people with scientific leanings, and it was surprising they take that view.
    Great. But now I wonder about your classification of what is scientific, and what is unscientific.  Anyway, the relationship between geology, and climatology? Isn't one just a subset of the other? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Revelle This is why I'm a little angry about some of the views here. I'm accused of twisting facts for posting them, and asking questions about them, but others can get away with denigrating whole branches of established sciences, 'just because', and no-one bats an eyelid.
    Like I said, it wasn't my intention to denigrate them. I can't be any clearer about what I meant.
  • Brooks wrote:
    30 quid for 900g of peadust incl. delivery. I will eat about 120g a day, so let's say that's a weeksworth. Do people think £30 a week for 'meat' alone is within the tolerances of 1st world low-incomers? I'm not one, so I ask.

No, not a chance. £30 per person, per week? Just for protein?

A family of 4, both parents working at minimum wage full-time, will earn about £22,000 after tax. Add on child benefits and some tax credits etc, you're looking at maybe £26,000 after tax.

Handily, that's £500 per week. That needs to cover all bills, rent/mortgage (haha), food, "life" etc. You're asking them to spend, say, 20% of that per week on just the meat part.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    Sushi?
    That was a suggestion to Brooks btw. You're grabbing the wrong end of the stick more often than a.... ....erm.... I'm going to go with blind hockey player.

Noticed how I haven't bothered with the hockey stick thing?
    That's statistical analysis.

Not science.

And we all know what they say about statistics...
  • Brooks, have you broken down your dietary needs per day? If so do you have the table of RDAs as there appears to be a fair amount of variation on human requirements on the net.

Like the idea of creating something that perfectly meets my dietary needs, whose constituent parts can be adjusted to tailor to requirement.
  • Brooks wrote:
    30 quid for 900g of peadust incl. delivery. I will eat about 120g a day, so let's say that's a weeksworth.

Do people think £30 a week for 'meat' alone is within the tolerances of 1st world low-incomers? I'm not one, so I ask.

Over a month that would come to more than half of my shopping budget (which also has to include cleaning products, household items (lightbulbs and shiz) and toiletries). I'm fairly low income but not totally scraping the barrel.
  • I dunno, shopping seems to sit at £150 pw.
  • If I can mix protein powder with fat and a berroca it should save cash.
  • I'm sorry. I truly am. I swore to myself I would no longer engage with you on this.

But are you kidding me. Statistical analysis is not science? Firstly. What does that even mean. Is there any point any more in going on.
  • Well yeah, hence I try to get in 100g of protein daily. The rest is basically fat, token amount of carbs, bags of salad.

Ftr my current spend on comestibles is £20 a day.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!